Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake 4K HEVC HDR10 performance (1 Viewer)

Man Pang

Portal Pro
May 25, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am interested to hear about users' reports on 4K HEVC HDR10 performance in MediaPortal1 using Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake SoCs. I currently use an ASRock J4205 board and I receive occasional stutter when watching 4K HEVC HDR10 content. It appears to occur every 30 seconds or so. Hardware decoding is enabled and CPU usage is fine. I suspect that after decoding, the data being pushed into the video memory is too slow but it would be interesting to hear other users' experience of using such hardware. I have also tried an ASRock J3455 board with exactly the same results.

The stutter is very slight but still enough to drive me mad and I am looking into Gemini Lake SoC such as ASRock J4105 boards which support higher speed RAM. Again, I am interested to hear of users' experiences with 4k HEVC HDR10 content on such equipment.

Man Pang

Portal Pro
May 25, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
A year and a half later, I can report that the micro stutter still exists and changing hardware to use a Gemini Lake board results in very similar issues. I decided to have a go using Kodi and playback is fine. Also playback with MPC-HC is fine too (using the same LAV decoders and same settings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom