Are these good specs? (1 Viewer)

hermy65

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hello, im planning on building my first HTPC. These are the specs I have, can anyone tell me if they are going to be good or if i need to change something or if you recommend something better.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 1 GB Ballistix PC-3200
MoBo: Biostar NF325-A7
HD: Seagate 250GB SATA
Capture Card: Hauppauge PVR500
Video Card: ??? (Suggestions Please)
Sound Card: ??? (Suggestions Please)

I dont have a Hi-Def tv at the moment, only have a 32 inch Tube tv. So im looking to for a video card that will work good on that tv.

D

dm15644

Looks ok so far. When you decide for the video card make sure that it is a DX9 card. Then it can be low level.

I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 9550 without any issues.

Good luck,

jayrock

hermy65

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Is a sound card something you guys think i need or just use the onboard....if so what do you recommend

daveyboy

Portal Member
March 15, 2005
Reading, England
I was using the onboard sound for a long time, but when MediaPortal 0.2.2.0 was released, the SPDIF output no longer worked. Older versions were fine still.

In the end I got a cheap sound card with SPDIF output, and that's working fine. Of course, YMMV.

As for Graphics, I have a Radeon 9550 as well, which I thought would do me fine. Just started to play some HD content, and the system is stuttering on some higher bitrate stuff. Maybe I need some more RAM (tried that once, PC wouldn't POST), maybe a faster processor (Socket A? Not much around any more), but perhaps the 9550 is not up to the job either.

Still, should be fine for non-HD content. Actually, to be fair, it's just one 720p file I have trouble with at the moment. But 1080p is a no-no. Might be worth a certain amount of future-proofing? Something like a 7600GS would play HD stuff as well.

GadgetMan

Portal Member
March 31, 2007
Home Country
Hi there hermy.

I've just recently finished my first HTPC, and just putting some finer touches (specs below)
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU Type: AMD AM2 Dual Core 4600+
HDD: Western Digital 160gb SATAII, Seagate Barracuda 80gb 7200rpm IDE
Memory: 1gb DDRII 667 Kingston
Motherboard: GA-M55plus-S3G (GB)
Motherboard Chipset: NVS 210s/nForce 430
Video Card: POV nVidia 7600GS
Power Supply: Usicase 400w super silent PSU
Remote: MCE Remote
TV: TEAC EU-3280S 76cm widescreen
TV - HTPC Connection: TVOUT to RCA

My trial HTPC (an old PC) wasn't quite fast enough, but forked out for a new 5200 AGP card.

My new HTPC I got a Point Of View 7600GS, which so far so good. HD plays fine with my AMD Dual Core 4600+ (probably comparable to your single processor 3200+).
Timeshifting is jerky (when on) at times, but when catching up it seems ok.

My motherboard has onboard sound, but I want optical output to my amp to make the most of 6+ channel sound. I'm waiting for my delivery.
Hopefully will work ok.

The picture (just the desktop of XP) is very blurry on my 32" widescreen crt TV. I was hoping it would get better, but only marginally after updated drivers. Playback of TV and DVD is a little blurry/choppy also but I put this down to finding the right codec for me.

petzlux

Portal Pro
March 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have a Athlon 64 3500 EE, 1 gb of ram which sits in a Asus Pundit . The onboard graphics (Nvidia 6150) is fine with any HD content (720 and 1080), i am using the nvidia purevideo decoder though which seems to offload an awful lot of processing to the graphics card.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My recommendation:

Processor: AMD X2, ADO-series (65W)
    RAM: 1 GB DDR2 (667/800MHz)
    MoBo: AMD 690G-based
    HD: (Seagate 250GB SATA) - OK
    Capture Card: (Hauppauge PVR500) - OK - do you need dual?
    Video Card: Integrated X1250 (= X700)!
    Sound Card: Integrated Realtek HD (880/882/883/888)

Cheap, and you con build on it in the future, if needed.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    It's a waste to buy a expensive screencard for beter video playback. A more expensive screencard will make menu eyecandy be faster but video playback is all about cpu , memory , codec's and VERY little graphics card.

Video has got nothing to do with vertex shaders and pixel pipelines and all that 3d graphic stuff.

I have a 2.4Ghz socket 462 celeron with 512mb ram and a barely dx9 capable fx5200.

All compression movies plays fine, dvd's gave jumping problems until I got nvidia pureview codec.

If your browsing is too slow search on the forums on how to create a ramdisk and save database files on there for lightning fast browsing.

If your GUI is slow , use a lower GPU intensive skin like blackmyst.

graphics card = nvidia anything fx5200 and up (mx440 is not dx 9 capable)
    ati anything above 9250 although i once had it installed on a system with that card and it seemed to be ok with blackmyst skin.

an ATI 9550 screen card is a underclocked 9600 gpu.

9550 = cpu 250mhz
    ram 200mhz

with a simple extra very small fan you can safely put the cpu up to 400 to 450 mhz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom