Are you an artist? Then this competition is for you! (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hold it, stop, wait a minute we actually have a competition AND a nice price. Since we love the community so much we thought it would be a great time to do something fun and that is why we decided to do this little competition. We are sure that there are several talented graphic artists out there that would like to show some nice designs. After pounding our heads for the best thing to do we actually decided to have three categories for this competition. When judging the final work we will actually mix all your work and ONE winner will be appointed from all the different posts.

The price
The winner in this competition will receive a new Streamzap remote that will play nicely with Media Portal. More about this nice remote can be found here: http://www.streamzap.com/

The menu (AKA the topbar) challenge
Create a nice menu for the MCE skin. You should make a visual on how you envision such a menu. You might ask yourself why the MCE skin? Well it’s not because I am writing this post (hmm) but rather that it’s the only skin where we have not created such a menu.

The background challenge
Create a really nice background for Media Portal. The background must work as both a desktop background and as a background for any of the skins bundled with MP. When posting your creation it should be the Media Portal version and it should measure 720x576.

The mock-up challenge
The third and last category that you can jump in to is by doing a mock-up. This should be a suggestion/sketch for a new skin and look. You will only have to post a drawing from your exercises with Photoshop (or whatever you choice of weapon is). Be creative, make it look nice and remember, if you enter this category the risk is high that there will be pressure on you to actually do the skin ;)

The deadline
Last day to post your entries is the November the 15th (and that is a Sunday yes, after that it time for the judges, that’s all of you guys and gals)

How do you post it?
Well if you have somewhere to post it, please upload it there but you can also send your designs to johan.levin_at_gmail.com and I will see to it that they get posted. HINT: I do prefer the first choice.

The Judges
For this to be more then a one man show we will let you be the judges and after the deadline you all will be able to vote on the creations done. A new thread will be created dedicated for your votes and cheers.

No go be creative and show us that you like initiatives like this.

And by the way, let us know if you are in and help us create some comotion... reply ;)

Good luck friends,
Samsonite, MrMario and Frodo

A

Anonymous

FYI - I have emailed HTPCnews.com a link to this. Hopefully this will generate interest from artists from other htpc projects. If you know of other good sites which might be interested, let them know. Anyone got a slashdot login? :wink:

A

Anonymous

forbes said:
FYI - I have emailed HTPCnews.com a link to this. Hopefully this will generate interest from artists from other htpc projects. If you know of other good sites which might be interested, let them know. Anyone got a slashdot login? :wink:

Nice, good call forbes. If this falls out well there could be more categories in the future that could get some focus. Like icons, loaders etc. If you have any good ideas let us know for the futere.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, seems to be very little interest for this competition? Should we pull it back? Is anyone interested... Hellooooo? ;)

Mars Warrior

Portal Pro
August 26, 2004
Airy Crater, Mars
Home Country
Samsonite said:
Hmm, seems to be very little interest for this competition? Should we pull it back? Is anyone interested... Hellooooo? ;)
Sorry for that, but I told everybody NOT to enter this competition (or else... :evil: ), as this gives me, someone who NEVER made a skin in his entire life, the chance to win :wink:

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
hi!

sounds interesting! but the time is too short for me (so much to do :eek: ). especially the mock-up challenge is a great idea. it could be a good ressource of inspiration for other.

at the moment i'm already working on a skin for mp. but it is only a mod of the mce skin (and a good way to learn mp-skinning).

greetz
the butcher

A

Anonymous

Ummm. I am relatively new to MediaPortal, I have been following it's progress over the past month and only officially installed it last night on my computer. I think Media Portal has great potential and I would very much like to see it grow to become the best HTPC solution out there. However refering to this quote...

Samsonite said:
The menu (AKA the topbar) challenge
Create a nice menu for the MCE skin. You should make a visual on how you envision such a menu. You might ask yourself why the MCE skin? Well it’s not because I am writing this post (hmm) but rather that it’s the only skin where we have not created such a menu.

... I would like to ask is it possible to NOT to have a standard menu for the MCE skin and perhaps find a different approach that doesn't require a menu topbar. I chose this skin because it was the cleanest and most elegent skin in my opinion and the least "computer like" of the choices available and I think adding a topbar menu of anykind would take away from this. Does anyone else agree with this? Any suggestions for an alternative?

A

Anonymous

Yep - I agree - but I believe you can turn the topbar off in the settings. So the topbar is more a utility for those who control it with a mouse or touchscreen

A

Anonymous

Well I'm controlling my HTPC with a wireless mouse, I find it simpler than a remote control, but still prefer no topmenu bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom