Artist thumbs - not working in skins by default, and not regenerating if worked around (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Both Mantis entries are closed and the needed files are in master now, setting this to Fixed.

Is this fully fixed though?

The files are there in master, which is great, but there still remains the issue where Artist thumbs are not regenerated on scans after new albums are added (details and link in original post).
    That depends on what intended behavior is. Based on Wiki (use for thumb creation) i would say this is intended:
    Note: The new default setting will only take effect on a 'clean' or fresh install of MediaPortal. If you have cover art embedded in ID3 tags and update MediaPortal you should change the setting and rescan your music database.

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    That comment looks to refer to the default setting for where to gather album art in general (embedded, Folder.jpg etc.), that's not the issue...

The problem here is that if you add new album art, whatever the setting, the Artist thumbs are created, but only once (based on the albums that are there at the time you do the first scan). When you add new albums with album art (of the same format) for an artist you had previously the Artist thumbs are never recreated to reflect the new albums you've added, even if you perform a re-scan of the database i.e. as detailed by this post linked above:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...e-thumbs-in-musicdatabase.114696/#post-982076

I am guessing that the scanner believes that it's job is done because it has a single Artist thumb for that Artist when, really, it should be re-creating an Artist thumb if it detects that new albums have been added that it needs to take into account.

Here's a full example:

I have two Arcade Fire albums at the beginning, I do a scan and I get an Artist thumb that shows the artwork for the two albums I have. I then get a new album later, add it and re-scan - all other thumbs are generated fine, but the Artist thumb for Arcade Fire still just shows the first two albums; a re-scan will not pick up the third, new, album and re-create an Artist thumb to reflect all 3 I now have (ditto if I later get another album). The only workaround is to manually delete the existing Artist thumb. If you do this then a re-scan creates a new thumb that does reflect all 3 albums there.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yeah, i understand what you're saying, but i still think a complete refresh/recreation of all thumbs is needed for this. As far as i know, MediaPortal doesn't delete thumbs by itself, meaning it won't update the genre or artist preview thumbs when new albums are added.

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Yeah, i understand what you're saying, but i still think a complete refresh/recreation of all thumbs is needed for this. As far as i know, MediaPortal doesn't delete thumbs by itself, meaning it won't update the genre or artist preview thumbs when new albums are added.

Ah, I don't know how this is implemented. I guess if there's no tracking recorded of what an Artist thumb was based on, then Mediaportal only has the option to re-generate all Artist thumbs on a scan as it can't know whether it needs to update/replace it or not.

This might be a niche case, I guess, but if there were the option to force a clean of all thumbs before a scan, that would be useful...

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ..., but if there were the option to force a clean of all thumbs before a scan, that would be useful...
    MP Config -> GUI -> Thumbnails -> Delete all music thumbs.

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Oh! Hadn't spotted that at all - trying it now...[DOUBLEPOST=1367761631][/DOUBLEPOST]That's the ticket - thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom