ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (3 Viewers)

Legend

Portal Member
February 15, 2006
DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB

Hey there,

first of all, I'm pretty new to MediaPortal and PVR'ing, but I try to do my homework and google around and read other forum posts first before posting my (stupid) questions.

However, I'm stuck and hopefully someone will have a (more or less easy) answer for me.

I've got a DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB tuner and I'm trying to get it working in MediaPortal 0.2RC2. I added the card successfully to the TV Capture Cards. I currently have an HDTV antenna (with kick-ass reception!) connected to it, so I only care about ATSC digital over antenna channels.

If in the Device Properties I go to Tuner and then say ATSC in the properties, do the Auto Tune, it seems to do something, but if I close the dialog and go back in it looks like before, I don't know if that's supposed to be permanent or not. The other Autotune button on the TV card dialog only gives me non-digital channels, how can I make that tune for digital channels?

The TV Channels I imported from my xmltv.xml file, and I only selected the *DT channels right now to get the digital channels. However, when I look at the end result in MP MyTV it again tries to tune into some non-digital channel with very poor or no reception. (Needless to say that I tested the HDTV reception with the DViCO software, and it works fine there).

I might have five problems at once here or just not checked a checkbox somewhere, either way I'd be happy about feedback!

Thanks,
Legend

Edit: After some more reading and browsing I saw that other people seem to have problems with this card on RC2 as well. I forgot to point out that the card is not recognized as DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB, but either as "General S/W encoding card" or as "Bluebird, AvStream Video Capture (General H/W encoding card)". Maybe that's where the root of my problem lies? If someone gives me some more instructions, I can give you graphs, device ids, or whatever you need.

Edit2: The latest CVS code doesn't do any good, either, it actually doesn't recognize my card at all anymore. I saw the growing post about this, apparently a lot of cards with very mixed support have been removed for now?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
After much reading I think I may have found the real cause of my HDTV problem. Sapphire's website says 128 or 64 bit for this card. Uh oh... what's this "or" stuff?
ATi tools confirms... mine is 64 bit. Funny... that's not what was listed on NewEgg's site.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ouch! 64-bit. I had a 128-bit nV 6200 and it could not handle ATSC for me. At least you've got a PCIe board though and you can get ahold of a 6600GT for as low as $130 (although it won't be passively cooled).

Are you using compnent out? If you do get a 6600GT and go with component out, you'll have to get a Leadtek if you want to use drvers after the 78.xx series. There is an issue with the BIOS on almost all other manufacturers with component out. Only Leadtek has updated their BIOS. I've been in contact with Gigabyte for over 3 weeks going back and forth with them and they still have not acknowledged the problem, even though it is in the release notes for the nV drivers!

Legend: I think most of your problems may be related to a misconfigured card in the MP capturecarddefinitions. All the extra stuff those Fusion cards do seems to make it tough (NTSC/QAM?and ATSC). I've got a Fusion 5 Lite card for testing purposes, but I won't be able to get that rig really going and testing until early March. I'm completely swamped with things at work and at home.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    BTW, the HIS X1300 card is 128 bit, not 256 so it may not work either.
    And the Gigabyte X1300 PRO card doesn't show up in searches on my favorite sites.

I think I'll back off of HDTV until more issues are worked out. That should give the better graphics cards time to drop in price.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Commodore 64 said:
    Tech Geek: Here's a related thread to your issues: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=644552

I think the moral of the story here is that when you are considering ATSC HD cards, you must also consider the video card. This also means that you need a 6600 or greater and an x1300pro or greater (I would say x1600).

I'd add one other thing. Make sure it has 128bit or wider memory and a high memory clock. Check the specs on the manufacturers web site instead of where you buy it.

Legend

Portal Member
    February 15, 2006
    Commodore 64 said:
    Legend: I think most of your problems may be related to a misconfigured card in the MP capturecarddefinitions. All the extra stuff those Fusion cards do seems to make it tough (NTSC/QAM?and ATSC).

I got your PM and created a graph this morning, but now I'm at work and realized I can't remote desktop into my computer at home because of changes I made to the firewall, so I won't be able to continue with it until later tonight.

However, I noticed something I wanted to get some clarification about:

1. In the GraphEdit instructions it says I should use the Microsoft DVBT Network Provider, which I started off with, but when I added my Tuner device I couldn't connect to it, it told me that the input and output could not be connected. However, when I added the Microsoft ATSC Network Provider it worked just fine. Does MP assume it uses the DVBT one or can I somehow tell it to use the ATSC instead? Also, I didn't get a chance to try the other two ones (DVBS, DVBC), I don't know if that makes a difference.

2. The moniker for my card looks very different from the example ones, because I have the USB card and therefore it doesn't even start with \\?\pci# but with \\?\usb# instead, I don't know if that will pose any problems down the road. That being said, since I was able to use the card in MP (without getting any channels, but the hardware responded) I assume that that's fine.

I will get back to you with more results later when I'm back at home. Thanks for the help so far!

Legend

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Legend: You are correct: you need to be using the Microsoft ATSC Provider.

Regarding the device ID, It should be OK, I will just need to check the device moniker. Just copy that whole string.

Legend

Portal Member
    February 15, 2006
    Commodore 64 said:
    Legend: You are correct: you need to be using the Microsoft ATSC Provider.

Regarding the device ID, It should be OK, I will just need to check the device moniker. Just copy that whole string.

Well, that didn't help. As it turns out my card was already in the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file, with the same pin settings and everything. Which does make sense, since it is being recognized when I add it, but I still can't seem to tune into ATSC channels. What's the next step?

Legend

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Couple Things regarding Fusion 5 cards!

First of all, there are some issues that were recently resolved with CVS builds regarding twinhan cards with dual tuners. Since the Fusion cards seem to have analog and digital tuners, perhaps this fix may also apply to Fusion 5 users:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=13074

This means Fusion users should grab a CVS build and give your card a try again! Please report your findings! Also, If the above doesn't work, I found this advice regarding Fusion cards and MCE2005:

There is a problem with the analog component of the fusion conflicting with the sd tuner. You need to disable the "wdm crossbar" and "wdm tuner" for the fusion in device manager. Of course, it will mess up the fusion app. but if you are only interested in MCE then it should be fine.

Fusion users: Could you try this and then try to autotune and use your Fusion card in MP?

Link to Fusion Thread at AVS Forum.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=646577

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom