Att. aussie users, GuideDigger replacement planning (1 Viewer)

thedigga

October 13, 2011
Home Country
I've been using the original GuideDigger by angusmann for a long time, but not being too active a TV user, only found out recently the unfortunate fate of him and his program when I went to look for updates on the missing new channels. :( RIP angusmann, loved that program.

As it happens, I'm a programmer myself, and it would seem no other (good) replacement has appeared. I'm contemplating creating a new aussie grabber project, hoping for some feedback here, at least some expression of interest if people are still looking (perhaps there's already a good alternative and I just missed it).

In particular, what site(s) would carry the best/most recently updated info to grab?

My thoughts currently are:

make the app behave fairly similar to the old GuideDigger, but
drop the ftp idea,
freetoair only to start with

Anyway, its food for thought. Any feedback appreciated.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i just use my dvb-t tuner to get me the EPG data

also if you check the option to "keep checking" or something like that it will constantly update programs and times so you dont miss out on anything

thedigga

October 13, 2011
    Home Country
    Why not just use:

EPG Collector | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Designed for NZ, but now being used by heaps of Aussies .... and it doesnt involve any scraping etc

If one can assume the stations keep their streams properly updated, I guess there wouldnt be any point in this for MediaPortal use, since the tv server can get EPG from the streams? The "if" is why I contemplated grabbing. :)

i just use my dvb-t tuner to get me the EPG data

also if you check the option to "keep checking" or something like that it will constantly update programs and times so you dont miss out on anything

Yes, the thing I was concerned about was how up-to-date the tv stations keep their on-air streams; I've seen others comment on problems with that. Is this largely being kept up to date from all tv stations now, even if they change their plans on the fly?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes programs update on the fly - i only have 1 tuner so it can only scan the epg data of the same channel / transponder im watching if i keep watching 1 channel

this means if im watching ONE HD, it scans ONE HD, TEN, Eleven as they are all on the same transponder

as soon as i stop watching one channel it scans the others... so the entire EPG gets updated ... and i get about 7-14 days of info in advance

as much as i **LOVE** guidedigger.. i dont need it anymore

the only thing is that if i schedule a recording of a specific show and the epg data changes.. it doesnt record so i need to keep an eye on it if it changes its name or times

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Like you, I am still using Guide Digger, minus a couple of channels info. I think it would be great to see a new alternative EPG grabber. The more options the better!

For me, I agree with SiLenTYL, I get the free to air just fine through my dvb-t tuner. Guide digger was not good for channel updates as once the info is grabbed, that's what you get stuck with. I would be interested in a new grabber however my need is for Pay TV.

Keep us updated on the progress if you kick it off!

thedigga

October 13, 2011
    Home Country
    this means if im watching ONE HD, it scans ONE HD, TEN, Eleven as they are all on the same transponder

These actually don't fully work for me; perhaps its a regional thing. I set MP to grab all channels on air. I get ONE HD data, but One, Eleven and Abc2/4 have no data at all, which is why I'm in need of a grabber.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi thedigga

Depends on if you have disabled "grap EPG only for channels on the same transponder". *Don't* enable that if you want the data for the other channels to be picked up. Also, if you've only enabled the timeshifting EPG grabber then you're likely to only get EPG for the channels that you view.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom