Audio suddenly stopped working and now even reboot/power-down won't restore it (1 Viewer)

Daniel Earwicker

April 10, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I got MediaPortal working very nicely on Win 8.1, single machine setup, playing video files and also Live TV in HD (UK Freeview). Everything was great and then suddenly while I was watching a TV show as it was recording, I was navigating back and forth through the buffered recording, and then...

... suddenly the audio went silent. Everything else still working, TV live picture still there.

I tried closing and reopening the MediaPortal client. No still no sound when I open live TV or a recording, or play an .mp4 video that was working moments before.

I tried rebooting. Didn't bring back audio.

I tried shutting down, unplugging power, restarting. No good.

Volume control in Media Portal is at 100%. Also Windows system sounds can be heard just fine.

So it's as if something has been stored persistently in the configuration of Media Portal, causing audio to be silent. And this happened suddenly while I was watching a TV show that was being recorded at the same time.

Any clues? It looked so good, now it's a lame duck.

UPDATE: NextPVR is working fine, as is Kodi using NextPVR as backend, so I'm using that instead.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Try changing audio renderer in the codec section. Are you using MediaPortal renderer or the default Windows one?

Emph

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...and please try pressing the "m" key to toggle MP's mute on/off.

Nosher

Portal Member
    October 6, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had this a while ago and this worked for me. Press the Windows key so the task bar appear. Right click the speaker icon in the system tray and select Volume Mixer. You should see that MediaPortal has an entry which may well be muted as mine was. Untick Mute - proble solved ! (I hope)

Oops, just noticed this thread was posted a year ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom