Australia SBS channels not found in scan (1 Viewer)

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thirdly, Australian SBS live tv channels have long been a disaster case in that channel scans cannot find them. It is suggested that a manual scan providing the frequency will find them, but the form presented asks a zillion questions that cannot be answered as the information sought isn't published anywhere. It certainly isn't just a matter of frequency and one other item .... there are at least three other bits of data which appear critical but who could possibly know what they are ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...it has long had a real problem in Australia with scanning SBS FTA...
    Presumably this is because some Australian tuning details (frequencies) are out of date. We rely on the community (that's you!) to supply tuning detail updates, so if you're aware of such problems, please please please jump in and help! It only takes a few minutes. Tuning detail updates can be submitted here:
    Submit: EPG-Grabbers and tuningdetails

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi PR

What is your problem with SBS? I have never had any issues with scanning for any channels in North Queensland on multiple computers at different locations.

Scanning using All Regions Safe works every time.

As far as not being user friendly, if my technologically inept wife can operate it :rolleyes: it can't be that hard.

I'll admit that its not perfect but it is definitely a lot better than WMC by a country mile :D

Anyway that's my opinion(y)

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Its much more than simply a few current channel frequencies. When I attempted to add SBS channels manually, I encountered a form that wanted all manner of stuff I didn't have a clue about. I'm up to my neck in alligators right now but when I get out of the swamp I will post a response with details of the fields I couldn't hope to complete. Note that its not a matter of simply ignoring the fields as doing so throws up error messages to the effect 'are you stupid or something ... fill in
    the #^^#$% fields or rack off'

No amount of googling SBS details revealed any hint of the information needed to complete the form. I can't be the only one who has struck this problem.

OK

Frequency I can handle

Bandwidth I understand is 7MHz

Transport ID ????????????

Service ID ???????????????

PMT PID ???????????????

Provider ????????????????

Presumably those items are considered trivial by some, which is probably why there isn't any explanation, but they are critical

They cannot be just random number(s) / character(s) because I've tried a few of those and it appears I must use something real

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi PR

What is your problem with SBS?
    My issue is that MP cannot find any SBS channels (or for that matter ABC) by scanning, and as detailed in another post, I don't know where to find the information needed to add SBS channels manually. WTF are Transport ID, Service ID. PMT ID and Provider ??

I have never had any issues with scanning for any channels in North Queensland on multiple computers at different locations.
    That might well be the case, but various forums show that a lot of people do have problems with SBS. The fact that you have never experienced difficulties isn't much use to those who do have problems.

Scanning using All Regions Safe works every time.

You must have a completely different setup to mine. Where exactly did you find the 'All Regions Safe' option ? There is nothing remotely like that in any MP configuration menu I've seen, including the add-ons / plugins..

As far as not being user friendly, if my technologically inept wife can operate it :rolleyes: it can't be that hard.
    We all need to satisfy the WAF. Some SWAMBOs are easier to please / more IT savvy than others. That said, whilst I've been around IT for several lifetimes, I have a very short fuse for things that demand I devote the next two years to sorting (eg tvheadend and zoneminder)

I'll admit that its not perfect but it is definitely a lot better than WMC by a country mile :D
    Well considering that WMC is effectively deceased due to apparently insurmountable EPG issues, its hardly relevant these days. I didn't use WMC in its heyday but had a look at it recently as part of a review of options subsequently to the impending death of TiVo in Australia. From what I've seen, it 'might' have been an option if not for the EPG death warrant. MP certainly appears more user-friendly / WAF compliant than a lot of other contenders although the apparently borked SBS, World Weather, Netflix, YouTube and IPTV functionality don't impress me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I attempted to add SBS channels manually...
    You're trying to do things in the absolute hardest way possible, so it's no wonder you're having trouble!

If you know the frequency and bandwidth, the better thing to do is to do an advanced scan:
    DVB-T Advanced Tuning - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

Tick "used advanced tuning options", select "single transponder", enter the frequency and bandwidth (which you know), and click "scan for channels". TV Server will then scan the frequency and find all the available channels broadcast on that frequency. In other words: it automatically determines the values for all those fields that you couldn't hope to complete.

Presumably those items are considered trivial by some...
    Manual channel creation is provided only as an extra-for-super-super-experts feature. As such, only a super-super expert would find it trivial. There are much easier ways to achieve what you're trying to achieve, therefore I recommend you avoid manual channel creation.

but they are critical.

They cannot be just random number(s) / character(s) because I've tried a few of those and it appears I must use something real
    Correct. They are critical for enabling TV Server to tune the channel, and they're not random (though they are numbers!), so they must be "real".

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My issue is that MP cannot find any SBS channels (or for that matter ABC) by scanning, and as detailed in another post, I don't know where to find the information needed to add SBS channels manually. WTF are Transport ID, Service ID. PMT ID and Provider ??
    As per my previous replies:
    • If MP doesn't find channels by scanning it's almost certainly because it's not scanning the right frequencies, which in turn is either because you're selecting the wrong region, or more likely because the frequency list ("tuning details") for your region are out of date. Updating the frequency list is a 2 minute job. Not hard at all.
    • You don't need to (and in my opinion shouldn't even try to) add channels manually.
    That might well be the case, but various forums show that a lot of people do have problems with SBS. The fact that you have never experienced difficulties isn't much use to those who do have problems.
    Anecdotally we've had few reports of trouble with SBS here. I read most posts relating to TV Server, and yours is the only comment about SBS I recall seeing in the last year.
    Anyway, what region are you in, and which options are you selecting when you scan?
    If the frequency list for your region is out of date, it's an obvious and easy fix... but you gotta tell us which region to give us something to go on!

There is nothing remotely like that in any MP configuration menu I've seen, including the add-ons / plugins..
    It's a region that you select when you scan. If you haven't got it, you're obviously using an older version of MP, which in turn may explain why your frequency list is out of date. It pays to keep up with the latest versions of MP. ;)

MP certainly appears more user-friendly / WAF compliant than a lot of other contenders although the apparently borked SBS, World Weather, Netflix, YouTube and IPTV functionality don't impress me.
    • SBS - Easy fix if you'd just tell us what region you're in.
    • World Weather, Netflix, YouTube - Plugins, so nothing we as "Team MediaPortal" can do about them. Please do report problems with plugins to the plugin developer(s)/maintainer(s).
    • IPTV - If you're trying to find out how to use services such as 9now, PLUS 7, SBS on demand etc. (which we'd call "internet streams"), the IPTV function in TV Server isn't going to help you. TV Server's IPTV function is for TV delivered via your internet service provider. For example: TPG. For anything else (ie. internet streams), take a look at the OnlineVideos plugin.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You're trying to do things in the absolute hardest way possible, so it's no wonder you're having trouble!
    In the absence of any alternative, what else could I do but use what appears in the system in front of me ?

If you know the frequency and bandwidth, the better thing to do is to do an advanced scan:
    DVB-T Advanced Tuning - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    I'm afraid I'm ***TOTALLY*** lost. You must be using something completely different from what I have because there is nothing like
    DVB-T Advanced Tuning - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki in my installation of MP and I've explored every tab and every option available.

I'm quite happy to try anything, but it must be something I can see because I'm not good at imagining things that do not exist. If the options you are talking about are hidden away someplace, please enlighten me as I sure as Hell can't find them.

Tick "used advanced tuning options", select "single transponder", enter the frequency and bandwidth (which you know), and click "scan for channels". TV Server will then scan the frequency and find all the available channels broadcast on that frequency. In other words: it automatically determines the values for all those fields that you couldn't hope to complete.
    Huh ????

Manual channel creation is provided only as an extra-for-super-super-experts feature. As such, only a super-super expert would find it trivial. There are much easier ways to achieve what you're trying to achieve, therefore I recommend you avoid manual channel creation.

Correct. They are critical for enabling TV Server to tune the channel, and they're not random (though they are numbers!), so they must be "real".
    We must be looking at something so different that there is no common ground. I'm not certain exactly what version of MP I have or how to find out but it is 1.something and probably the latest. I suspect from the lack of similarity between what I have and what you are talking about that you must have a 2.something installation.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As per my previous replies:
    • If MP doesn't find channels by scanning it's almost certainly because it's not scanning the right frequencies, which in turn is either because you're selecting the wrong region, or more likely because the frequency list ("tuning details") for your region are out of date. Updating the frequency list is a 2 minute job. Not hard at all.
    • You don't need to (and in my opinion shouldn't even try to) add channels manually.
    As far as I can see, the ONLY region that is even remotely relevant is 'Australia'. There are no options to select states / regions / cities / suburbs

Anecdotally we've had few reports of trouble with SBS here. I read most posts relating to TV Server, and yours is the only comment about SBS I recall seeing in the last year.
    Anyway, what region are you in, and which options are you selecting when you scan?
    If the frequency list for your region is out of date, it's an obvious and easy fix... but you gotta tell us which region to give us something to go on!
    I'm officially in Gold Coast although where I live is the Springbrook world heritage rainforest about 50km south west of the Gold Coast and on the NSW border. I can get all Gold Coast and Northern NSW stations fine on regular tv as there is a tribe of towers and transmitters at the top of the mountain a few kilometers up the road from me.

It's a region that you select when you scan. If you haven't got it, you're obviously using an older version of MP, which in turn may explain why your frequency list is out of date. It pays to keep up with the latest versions of MP. ;)
    I believe I have the latest MP version 1.15, can't use MP version 2 as the test machine runs Vista which apparently isn't compatible with MP2. Mind you I suspect from the comments made by contributors here that everyone is on MP2 which probably accounts for the fact that the comments are incomprehensible to me. Could you enlighten me regarding whether or not MP2 actually runs with Vista regardless of suggestions that it does not ? At least if I couldm use MP2, the comments would line up with what is in front of me.

IPTV - If you're trying to find out how to use services such as 9now, PLUS 7, SBS on demand etc. (which we'd call "internet streams"), the IPTV function in TV Server isn't going to help you. TV Server's IPTV function is for TV delivered via your internet service provider. For example: TPG. For anything else (ie. internet streams), take a look at the OnlineVideos plugin.

OK, then IPTV is totally irrelevant to me. How then can I access Netflix, YouTube and all those international internet tv streams ? Does the OnlineVideo addon / plugin handle all those ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay @praxidice .

Let's take this really slow.

First, let's find out which version of MediaPortal you're using.

Open TV Server Configuration. The version of MediaPortal is shown as circled in red below:
    upload_2017-3-26_22-29-29.png

Please tell us what version of MediaPortal you have.

Note that contrary to what you suggested might be the case, I'm using MediaPortal 1.16 pre-release. When it comes to scanning for channels it's 100% identical to MP 1.15. So, I'm in a very good position to assist you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom