Australia SBS channels not found in scan (1 Viewer)

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Slow is good because this has me completely baffled

OK, so why can't I see anything remotely comparable to what you are talking about ?

I definitely have 1.15, says as much when the app starts as well

I'd install WP2.whatever if it works with Vista but I don't wish to mess with one of the Windows 10 systems at this point

That post mentioning advanced options appears to relate to cable or satellite connections, neither of which is relevant to me. I only have DBV-T and whatever I can stream over the internet. Could that be the reason for the disparity between suggestions and what I have ? There must be a logical reason and if its not a difference in MP version, there must be something else that accounts for the difference.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, so you have MP 1.15 - good. That will be fine.

I'd install WP2.
    MP2 cannot be installed or used on Windows Vista.
    Don't worry about it - you don't need it.

OK, so why can't I see anything remotely comparable to what you are talking about ?
    Because you're looking in the wrong place! ;)

To find what I'm looking at:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Expand the "TV Servers" section. (When I say "expand" I mean click on the little plus beside "TV Servers" in the left hand pane.)
    3. Expand your server.
    4. Select your DVB-T tuner.
    In other words: right now you should be at the place where you scan for channels.
    It should look like this:
    upload_2017-3-26_23-22-36.png

...and this is exactly where the stuff I was talking about is found.
    It's as you'd expect. Stuff that relates to scanning is in the scanning section.
    Not complicated is it! :)

Now, in this section you have two drop-down fields.
    Country... where you'd obviously select Australia.
    Region/provider... and I want you to tell us which option you're selecting here!

Please do not try to use the advanced tuning options just yet. We can walk you through that shortly... but only if necessary.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, thats really weird because I had Australia - Gold Coast selected previously, but when I changed to 'All Regions' the scan found the SBS and ABC channels. Logic would suggest selecting the local area should find all local channels but such is life, whatever works. The EPG still hasn't found all the details but I can probably figure my way around that. Currently I'm using OZTIVO EPG data but there are a few other sources I can experiment with. Thanks for the advice, at least thats one problem dispensed with. Next item is the plugins but they seem to be reasonably well documented now that I have some idea what terms mean what plugin..

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, thats really weird because I had Australia - Gold Coast selected previously, but when I changed to 'All Regions' the scan found the SBS and ABC channels. Logic would suggest selecting the local area should find all local channels...
    Not necessarily... and that's what I was trying to explain. It entirely depends which frequencies are in the Gold Coast frequency list. If the SBS and ABC frequencies for the transmitter you're receiving (there's more than one transmitter on the Gold Coast) aren't included in the list, obviously those channels won't be found. As I've said all along: I suspect that's the case, and I'm hoping you'll take a couple of minutes to provide an update so nobody else (including yourself!) has this trouble in future.

...whatever works.
    Please no!
    Do provide an update so that people can use the Gold Coast option. Otherwise it's just confusing.
    I'd do it myself, but I don't know what the frequencies are. You on the other hand do know the frequencies, so... please!

cladinshadows85

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If your after the SBS transmission frequencies it is on the website at SBS Transmissions

sbs mepo.png

I am not sure of what you nearest transponder is to your location so you will need to see which area is the closest to where you live. you will need to enter the frequency as 6 digit number, Example if you live on the Gold Coast (based on the SBS website) the frequency is 613.5MHz, so you will need to enter this as 613500.

post edited as corrected by @mm1352000, (see below post) bandwidth in Australia for all stations is 7MHz,

Hope this helps. It took me a while to get me head around the configurations of MediaPortal about 5 years ago, it was a learning curve, from my experience this is the best HTPC software out there (I have tried a lot and they just fall short), but once MediaPortal is setup, it is great, and I haven't look back since.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If your after...
    I'm not sure if your response is directed to me or to @praxidice .
    If it was directed to me, my overall goal is to have MediaPortal with a complete and correct set of frequencies for all channels for the whole world.
    Since praxidice didn't respond ( :( :( :( ), I took it upon myself to trawl the web for information about Australian frequencies. I found this spreadsheet listing the frequencies for all Australian channels across the country:
    http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broa...adsheet/Digital Television Channel Chart.xlsm

It took an hour or so to find that spreadsheet and write a script to convert into tuning details for MediaPortal. Those tuning details will be present in MP 1.16 final. Hopefully that will eliminate all scanning problems for Australians for the foreseeable future.

The Bandwidth in MediaPortal is the number that correspondence in the Channel column on the SBS website (well that's what I used and it worked for me), which is 40 for the Gold Coast.
    Good guess, but not quite. :)
    Bandwidth for digital terrestrial TV in Australia is always 7 MHz. In other words: enter "7" in that field.
    P.S. The channel column on the SBS website is just another way of expressing the frequency. So channel 40 corresponds with 613.5MHz. The bandwidth of each channel is 7 MHz, so you can work out that channel 41 will be 620.5 MHz, 42 will be 627.5 etc. etc. etc.

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I havent read through the entire post, but i had issues when scanning didnt pick up sbs. I thought it could just be my antenna not pointing correctly as this has happened to me before i had mp.

I manually added sbs via info i found on the web and can provide all details and id numbers if needed.

Adam

cladinshadows85

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm not sure if your response is directed to me or to @praxidice .

My response was directed at praxidice,

Good guess, but not quite. :)
    Bandwidth for digital terrestrial TV in Australia is always 7 MHz. In other words: enter "7" in that field.
    P.S. The channel column on the SBS website is just another way of expressing the frequency. So channel 40 corresponds with 613.5MHz. The bandwidth of each channel is 7 MHz, so you can work out that channel 41 will be 620.5 MHz, 42 will be 627.5 etc. etc. etc.

I didn't know this, so I must have gotten quite lucky, thanks for the info!

In 2014 SBS changed their frequencies and since then I have always needed to manually enter the station (whenever I have needed to reinstall Windows), so it will be good for the details to be back in for MP 1.16 Final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom