Auto3D plugin for MediaPortal 1.2 - 1.12 (GUI & TV/Beamer) (4 Viewers)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @vuego: You are right, bars are compressed really well, but there is one problem with movies ripped with bars. ViewModeSwitcher does not work with movies that have encoded black bars. So if you want to zoom a widescreen movie to 16:9 in order to remove the black bars on the TV, you will only succeed if a movie was encoded without black bars.

Marcus, i believe this is not true. If you have black bar detection enabled within ViewModeSwitcher. It will remove those bars and zoom to full 16:9.

My ViewModeSwitcher settings attached (remove txt extention)

Attachments

• MySettings.VmsSettings.txt
      6.7 KB
    Last edited:

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Wouter. Does this work even if the black bars are part of the movie?
    I will check your ViewModeSwitcher settings as soon as possible.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Wouter. Does this work even if the black bars are part of the movie?
    I will check your ViewModeSwitcher settings as soon as possible.

Hi Marcus, yes it does. I even have a 3D movie like "The Great Gatsby" which has black bars in the movie. Normaly (without black bars) it switches instantly from 21:9 to 16:9 full screen because of the rule, but with this movie it shows 21:9 and then after a few seconds it detects the black bars and zooms to 16:9 full screen 3D beautifully.

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've got my 3DTV now (Panasonic Vierra passive), and this plugin works beautifully. Well done dev(s) :)

One thing I've noticed about the TV though, it automatically switches to 3D mode correctly ~70% of the time, the other 30% of the time it switches to 3D mode, but strange artefacts can be seen when things move horizontally quickly (like an actor clapping their hands). I've played around with various refresh rates but to no avail. I suspect the TV is not detecting the correct signal 30% of the time.

Does anyone else here with a passive Viera experience the same thing?

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This may not be the most appropriate place to share this information, but I can find no better spot.

To recode your 3D Bluray discs while cropping out any black bar letterboxing is achievable using an AviSynth plugin DGMVCDecode.dll Download it from here (neuron2's webpage)

Here is my AviSynth script:
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGMVCDecode.dll")

###
    #Enter appropriate values:
       frameCount = xxx
       topCrop = xxx
       bottomCrop = xxx
       leftCrop = 0
       rightCrop = 0

###
    #Use neuron2's magic to decode and serve the 3D content, frame by frame
       interleaved = DGMVCSource("left.h264", "right.h264", view = 0, frames = frameCount)

###
    #Crop the black bars
       interleaved = interleaved.crop(leftCrop, topCrop, -rightCrop, -bottomCrop)

###
    #Grab the two eye fields
       Left  = SelectEven(interleaved)
       Right = SelectOdd(interleaved)

###
    #TAB: Setup the frame, serving the two eye-fields as top and bottom
       StackVertical(VerticalReduceBy2(Left), VerticalReduceBy2(Right))

###
    #SBS: Setup the frame, serving the two eye-fields as side by side
    #---currently commented out---
    #   StackHorizontal(horizontalreduceby2(left),horizontalreduceby2(right))

###
    #Return the finished frame
    Return(last)

The decoder came from the brilliant mind of neuron2, an active member of doom9.
    The data you need to enter is:
    • frameCount: integer - total frames of the movie, can be found in the log file eac3to generates upon demuxing a disc, or you can calculate it yourself very simply using duration*frameRate. Duration is in seconds, and if the frame rate is 23.976 use the more exact 24/1.001.
    • topCrop = integer - number of lines to crop off top (lines are 1 pixel thick)

This .avs script can then be fed into an encoder of choice. My only two recommendations are x264.exe, or if you prefer a GUI then MeGUI.

One last thing to add: don't be afraid to do your own thing! I used to follow the "scene rules" so that my encodes would be as good as downloaded content -a practise I abandoned a while back after realising you can do better than downloaded content. For example, save your subtitles in both SRT and SSA format. If you navigate to BDMV\Auxdata on your bluray you will find the font files used for the subtitles. Mux that file into the mkv container and sophisticated players will temporarily install the font upon playback. As you can see here:
    ayNtPAv.jpg

Also notice the little black marks on the seek-bar. Those are chapter markings -another nugget that's seldom retained on downloaded content.

Last edited:

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Finally purchased a new TV. It's a LG 2014 model with WebOS (60LB730V to be exact) and i was wondering if adding support for this new line of tv's is something you have planned. I can support you in two ways either by adding new code to your plugin source directly (but i need some pointers on where to start) or just by testing :)

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does the new model not work with the 2012/13 setting of the existing plugin?

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I cannot link or find the tv with the auto3d plugin. Other stuff like DNLA works so the tv is on the network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom