Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've try, it doesn't work, that's why i'm here. I've try 29 and 30 hz.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Quote Wikipedia:

The standard refreshrate settings are based on the above (bold part), so 29.97 FPS is set to do a 59Hz refreshrate (which sets the monitor to 59.94Hz).

I agree but 29.97 is not always interlace, in case of progressive I would like to be able to switch to 29hz.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree but 29.97 is not always interlace, in case of progressive I would like to be able to switch to 29hz.
    In case of progressive i assume it's 29.97PsF? which should be treated as Interlaced video (since every progressive frame contains 2 fields (1st field contains odd lines, 2nd field contains the even lines), but the difference with Interlaced is that both fields contain the same TV Lines)

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I don't know what 29.97PsF means. Here's the MediasInfo details.

General
    ID : 4 (0x4)
    Complete name : Z:\RecordedTV\Jamie Oliver en 15 minutes - 1136 ZESTEHD - 2014-04-29.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 1 012 MiB
    Duration : 16mn 18s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 673 Kbps

Video
    ID : 48 (0x30)
    Menu ID : 137 (0x89)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : 27
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive

Audio
    ID : 64 (0x40)
    Menu ID : 137 (0x89)
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : LC
    Muxing mode : ADTS
    Codec ID : 15
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -435ms

It is a file create from an Hauppauge Colossus with a FrameRate Downscaling option (from 720p 59.94 to 720p 29.97)
    colossus.jpg
    So, I should forget any support for this request ?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know what 29.97PsF means.
    That's 1 of the 3 available 'scanning methods': Interlaced, Progressive or Progressive Segmented Frame

The hauppage encoding options explain the frame rate, since i'm pretty sure you'll get interlaced video if you disable the encoding.

So, I should forget any support for this request ?
    I'm not saying that, but i'm trying to explain what the standards are and how the settings should be applied (and that's based on my current knowledge about this stuff). Any setting a TV can do is not taking into account here, because every TV can have different settings or approaches.
    29.97i means the video plays 29.97 frame per second, interlaced. Interlaced tells us that each frame consists of 2 fields, which means that the best refresh rate (for stutter free playback) would be 29.97 x2 so 59.94Hz (you can read that also in my quote about NTSC from Wikipedia a few posts up).
    Now the 29.97p you have created: The difference between the Interlaced & Progressive frame is that in the Progressive frame, you also have 2 fields, but both fields contain the SAME scanlines.

Take a look @ the following 2 pictures, which hopefully explain it a bit further, since it's very complex stuff.
    29.97i.PNG Here you see the Interlaced video (typical US standard). The Even & Odd fields contain different scanlines
    29.97p.PNG Here you have an example of 29.97p. As you can see (the colors) here the Even & Odd fields contain the same scanlines, but still, there are 2 fields in every frame. So for proper playback, you actually need to treat this 29.97p file as Interlaced video, and play it @ 59.94Hz (for stutter free playback), hence the 59 setting in the refresh rate changer. Playing back this 29.97p file @ 29Hz, means only half of the fields are being displayed on your TV.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for your great technical explanation. I quite understand that theorically, I should see stutter for my 29.97 progressive video at 29hz but i'm not !

And 29hz coupled with motionflow technology is awseome (my opinion). That's why I would like to have the choice to choose 29hz in the refresh rate configuration.

Does MP can intelligently scan the file to see if it's progressive or interlace with mediainfo before playback? And then decide 59 or 29hz or it's a too complicated thing ?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Does MP can intelligently scan the file to see if it's progressive or interlace with mediainfo before playback? And then decide 59 or 29hz or it's a too complicated thing ?
    As far as i can judge that, i assume it would be possible, since we have the info present from the MediaInfo library.

But i've been testing with a 29.97p file here, and MP won't switch my monitor to 29Hz either (but i have no idea atm what the 'intended behavior' woudl be). So we'll need to look into that first. ;)

2b continued...

Ooh, before i forget ;)
    If you could do me a favor and make me a screenshot of the render stats while you play your recording in MPC-HC, with your monitor refresh rate set to 29Hz in windows?
    And can you make a screenshot of all available refresh rates of your monitor also?
    Start the video in MPC-HC, then hit 'Ctrl + j', wait about 10 seconds (till the hiccup is gone from the graph) and make a screenshot.
    You need to press 'Ctrl + j' 3 more times to close the stats overlay again.

TNX!

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    But i've been testing with a 29.97p file here, and MP won't switch my monitor to 29Hz either (but i have no idea atm what the 'intended behavior' woudl be). So we'll need to look into that first.

Have you try in MP2 ? The refresh rate change to 29hz for me
    Here it goes !

Attachments

• 2014-05-04 17_34_56-Greenshot.jpg
      2014-05-04 17_34_56-Greenshot.jpg
      288.3 KB
    • 2014-05-04 18_12_48-Generic PnP Monitor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 Properties.jpg
      2014-05-04 18_12_48-Generic PnP Monitor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 Properties.jpg
      30.2 KB

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have you try in MP2 ? The refresh rate change to 29hz for me
    Here it goes !
    MP2 is not comparable, since that refresh rate changer is not finished and uses a different approach from the version in MP1.
    But i've tried it and it doesn't work for me (but MP1 doesn't switch to 29Hz either, so).

Just noticed you're living in Canada, which explains why you can switch to 29Hz without interlacing and i can't (since i live in a PAL country) ;)

But long story short: Setting 29Hz for 29.97 FPS video should simply work if your TV can switch to that setting in Windows without any issues.
    When i set my monitor to 29 (interlaced for me only) it's looking horrible.

Can you set 29Hz again and create some logs for us to look at?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Can you set 29Hz again and create some logs for us to look at?

If I start MP at 29hz, when I play LiveTV my TV switch itself to 59hz even if I changed 59 to 29 in Refresh Rate settings. You want log to track this behaviour ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom