Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If I start MP at 29hz, when I play LiveTV my TV switch itself to 59hz even if I changed 59 to 29 in Refresh Rate settings. You want log to track this behaviour ?
    Yes please

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The standard refreshrate settings are based on the above (bold part), so 29.97 FPS is set to do a 59Hz refreshrate (which sets the monitor to 59.94Hz).You could change the 59 Refreh rate setting to 29 in MP Config > General > Dynamic Refresh Rate to test.

Ok. it's true, 29.97 FPS on to 59 (59,94 HZ) work fine but it would be nice, with an interlaced content, set the refresh to 23 (23,976) with the pulldown detection activated. It work fine for me and should be the better choice:

with progressive content

NTSC 29.97-->59 (59,94 HZ)

with interlaced content

NTSC 29.97-->23 (23,976 HZ)

refresh rate changer should have an additional column, to set an optional refresh rate when pulldown is applicable

I don't know if Mediainfo is enabled to do that.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I don't know why but this evening, My TV switch to 29hz with 29.97 progressive content.

- I played a videoclip and my TV turned 29 hz (y)
    - I played a recordedTV manually from video shared folder and my TV turned 29hz (y)
    - I played LiveTV but my TV stays at 59hz (n) same thing with "recording"

Here's my logs.

thanks HomeY

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    NTSC 29.97-->59 (59,94 HZ)
    with interlaced content
    NTSC 29.97-->23 (23,976 HZ)
    Not sure why you want that. It's the interlaced material which needs to be played twice the speeds of the FPS (because of the 2 fields per frame). The progressive material can be played back @ same speed, because with a progressive frame the fields are equal.

I don't know if Mediainfo is enabled to do that.
    MediaInfo is able to tell us if the file is interlaced or progressive. If we have that info present, we should be able to act on it.
    We can have a look at this option.

I don't know why but this evening, My TV switch to 29hz with 29.97 progressive content.
    (y)
    Indeed for the 2 videos you played, it switched nicely to 29Hz and back to your default 59Hz on playback stop.

But then the TV stream, which somehow is detected as 25 FPS...
    [2014-05-05 21:12:11,471] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - RefreshRateChanger.AdaptRefreshRate: framerate on file rtsp://kilik360-PC:554/stream3.0 is 25
    and refresh rate changer instructs to switch to 59Hz (which is also does properly):
    [2014-05-05 21:12:11,473] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - RefreshRateChanger.SetRefreshRateBasedOnFPS: using internal win32 method for changing refreshrate. current is 59hz, desired is 59
    Curious why that happens, because 25 should result in 50Hz refresh rate (with default settings), but also wonder why the stream is detected as 25 FPS.
    If you start TV and examine the TimeShift files with MediaInfo, does it also show 25 FPS then?

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Not sure why you want that. It's the interlaced material which needs to be played twice the speeds of the FPS (because of the 2 fields per frame). The progressive material can be played back @ same speed, because with a progressive frame the fields are equal.

Let me explain better, I'm Italian so I apoligize If I can not explain how I would.

With material that have 29.97 fps and it's progressive no doubt, 59,97 (59) it's the best option.

With material that have 29.97 fps but interlaced there are two cases.

- a material filmed directly in ntsc, tv , sport and so on, not telecined. in this case 59,97 (59) as refresh is still the only option to use.

- a material , interlaced, but telecined. The pulldown detection of Amd/Ati video card, for example, can remove the telecine process and restore the original frame rate. so, in this case, the best option is, imho, to use 23,976 (24p) frame rate.

I tried to play a 1080i, m2ts, 29,97, interlaced, de-interlacing it with a refresh rate of 59,97 HZ. No problem at all except for the typical 2:3 pulldown judder.
    Tried with 23,976 HZ refresh rate , the pulldown detection remove the frames and restore the 24p. (inverse telecine, ivtc). It work fine, and smooth.

1) 29,97 fps interlaced with 23,976 refresh rate (with inverse telecine)
    9wVUZTC.png

2) 29,97 fps interlaced with 59,94 refresh rate (without inverse telecine)

vnyXXYp.png

Obviously the choice should be automatic, by mediainfo and MP according a new option to switch a different refresh rate (Cinema) when interlaced telecined material is detected.

Last edited:

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    HomeY forget my problem... I'm shy to tell what it was:unsure:

When you said that the framerate of my LiveTV was 25, I remebered that I never changed the TV side of Refresh Rate Configuration.:whistle:

Sorry for the time I stole you and.... I know... it was really NOOB :rolleyes:

Everything is working like I want now !

One thing is clear, you gave me GREAT support on this false problem. THANKS !!

Jerome7573

May 7, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Obviously the choice should be automatic, by mediainfo and MP according a new option to switch a different refresh rate (Cinema) when interlaced telecined material is detected.

MediaInfo can detect 3:2 pulldown in MPEG Video and VC-1 ("Scan order" field is set to "3:2 pulldown").
    I am not aware of 3:2 pulldown metadata (repeat first field metadata) in other video formats.

Jérôme, developer of MediaInfo.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tried with 23,976 HZ refresh rate , the pulldown detection remove the frames and restore the 24p. (inverse telecine, ivtc). It work fine, and smooth.
    According to your screenshot you've used a 23.98FPS file and not 29.97FPS.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    According to your screenshot you've used a 23.98FPS file and not 29.97FPS.

No, the file is a 1080i 29.97 fps interlaced (TS), 23,976 is the the new frame rate recreated by hardware decoding using inverse telecine through pulldown detection feature.
    I'll post same file played on 59,94 (59) refresh rate, later.

Last edited:

mamachan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Goodmorning,
    Dynamic Refresh Rate works fine with integrated Intel GPU (HD4400/4600) too? (method 1 - You can leave it BLANK. This way MP will ask windows (API) to change the refreshrate. (Recommended))

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom