Automatic Refreshrate Changer (4 Viewers)

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I also get this, but I think it only happens when live tv (pal) is playing and I try to watch cinema (24fps) material. Tv stops, refresh rate is changed but series doesn't start..

Do you make a device reset?
    Same here. I have to select a movie twice to play it when Device reset is enabled.

If your graphics card needs a device reset, try the solution using display changer described by gibman a few posts ago to avoid it.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    latest avail.
    v0.6 (20602) - 14 oct.
    * added optional GUI notification on refreshrate change (on fullscreen video only) ...
    use ... <entry name="notify_on_refreshrate">yes</entry>

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    having that popup notification working took some serious time getting right.

latest avail.
    v0.61 (20602) - 26 oct.
    * GUI notification improved, using threading instead - should make it appear more consistent (thanks to rtv for helping out.)
    * Also fixed a problem with restoring the default RR in case the user has this option activated.
    * Introduced a new key ..again .. <entry name="force_refresh_rate">no</entry>
    This is best kept at the default value "no".
    What it does is simple. Normally the refreshrate changer code queries the gfx card on the current refreshrate, if this is different to the new refreshrate, then we apply the new refreshrate. Normally it would be silly to execute an external script to set a refreshrate that is already applied.
    buuuut, sometimes when using eg. powerstrip to change the refreshrate, the gfx card is unware of this change, so it still reports back to MP the old refresh rate.
    This is where the "force_refresh_rate=yes" comes in handy.
    It always applies the refreshrate regardless of current refreshrate.

/gibman

byfly

Portal Member
    January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    A BIG thanks for Gibman on the excellent plugin!

I agree with many people/posts on this thread. This feature should have been always in MP.
    The refresh rate defines the quality of the output. I'm not going to watch anything if TV's RR is wrong.

I hope that this will be added to the standard installation packages.

I do have one question:

Can I set <entry name="default_hz">pal_hz</entry> to a number instead of a setting?
    So I would have these settings:
    default_hz 60
    cinema_hz 24
    pal_hz 25
    ntsc_hz 30

So if I exit MP to Vista, I'll have the highest hz available.

:D

-Jarno

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for your work, its still not working with ATI profiles and i have to use them, gone back to manually changing refresh rate for now but if you get a chance to look at this i'd be grateful

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thanks for your work, its still not working with ATI profiles and i have to use them, gone back to manually changing refresh rate for now but if you get a chance to look at this i'd be grateful

Whats the issue with ATi profiles?

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Having it running for a couple of days now. It seems to switch nicely to the right frequencies/refresh rate) 24,25,30,50 and 60hz, but even when watching PAL tv at 50 hz gives me a very small 'hick-up' once every 10 seconds. The same occurs on NTSC video's... all frequencies seem to give the same hick-up, no mather what the source is. Some xvid's actually do play better than before using the Refreshrate changer, but some, like PAL TV are worse because of the slight hick-up. My TV does not show frequencies when changing, it only shows that it is changing resolution or refresh rate.

what's the best thing for me to test everything is going right as it should be? I am using Display Changer btw...

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Exit MP.

set desktop hz to 25 or 50hz.
    start vlcplayer
    playback some recorded PAL recording in TS format using vlcplayer.
    make sure the rec. is indeed 25 FPS, u can see this in vlcplayer when starting the clip.

if it hicks up, its probably ur tv.

/gibman

Having it running for a couple of days now. It seems to switch nicely to the right frequencies/refresh rate) 24,25,30,50 and 60hz, but even when watching PAL tv at 50 hz gives me a very small 'hick-up' once every 10 seconds. The same occurs on NTSC video's... all frequencies seem to give the same hick-up, no mather what the source is. Some xvid's actually do play better than before using the Refreshrate changer, but some, like PAL TV are worse because of the slight hick-up. My TV does not show frequencies when changing, it only shows that it is changing resolution or refresh rate.

what's the best thing for me to test everything is going right as it should be? I am using Display Changer btw...

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I did consider restoring the original refreshrate when exiting MP.

Currently u cant use a value in that "default_hz" field.
    remember using that default_hz feature restores the hz back on each playback stop ... so extra time is spent there, making the stopping process seem a bit slower.

I noticed something, although a minor issue.
    When looking at the MP gui @ 24hz scrolling in long lists etc. does produce small signs of tearing and synch issues.
    Probably b/c the d3d renderer is rendering at 60fps or similar while TV is 24hz.

/gibman

A BIG thanks for Gibman on the excellent plugin!

I agree with many people/posts on this thread. This feature should have been always in MP.
    The refresh rate defines the quality of the output. I'm not going to watch anything if TV's RR is wrong.

I hope that this will be added to the standard installation packages.

I do have one question:

Can I set <entry name="default_hz">pal_hz</entry> to a number instead of a setting?
    So I would have these settings:
    default_hz 60
    cinema_hz 24
    pal_hz 25
    ntsc_hz 30

So if I exit MP to Vista, I'll have the highest hz available.

:D

-Jarno

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi!

my dev-pc now has a nvidia card, so testing ATI profiles is a bit hard now.
    my system-critical-htpc (or whatever we should call it) does have an ATI card, but Im not using ATI profiles.

the reason is simple and stated before.
    They cause those slow device resets, which in fact stops all media-playback-. some trickery is done in order to restart playback again - but it is probably a lot more buggy than avoiding methods that do not cause device resets at all.

powerstrip is better...

but even better is display changer as mentioned a few posts away.
    This works on ATI without device resets.
    Is there any reason why u cant use this method ?

i dont know how display changer behaves on nvidia yet.

/gibman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom