Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Aahh... Me is understanding now. :) Thanks tourettes..

From what you say I figure that THIS is exactly where the Automatic Refreshrate Changer comes in. It matches the used display setting to the media FPS to prevent any 3:2 pulldown or audio speedup.... No need to alter sound or video at all then and theoretically no need for ReClock...

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Generally audio shouldn't drift even when playing at "wrong" fps rate. This is because audio is always used as the source clock in directshow applications and the video renderer will adapt to that by dropping frames or displaying some frames twice (of cource in ideal case the video renderer doest drop a single frame during a movie).

Somesystems might have audio & video clock that drifts a little bit and this is where Reclock could be useful (in addition to different features that it has, like the PAL speed up if you dont have native 24fps display). Reclock will resample the audio so that video render wont have to drop or display dual frames as its less audioble to the user when the audio is slighly distorted (speed changed, pitch remaining the same) than stuttering video.

So what's the reason MP has problems with audio/video sync at 24Hz? Does it internally use a different clock that only plays right at 60Hz?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Generally audio shouldn't drift even when playing at "wrong" fps rate. This is because audio is always used as the source clock in directshow applications and the video renderer will adapt to that by dropping frames or displaying some frames twice (of cource in ideal case the video renderer doest drop a single frame during a movie).

Somesystems might have audio & video clock that drifts a little bit and this is where Reclock could be useful (in addition to different features that it has, like the PAL speed up if you dont have native 24fps display). Reclock will resample the audio so that video render wont have to drop or display dual frames as its less audioble to the user when the audio is slighly distorted (speed changed, pitch remaining the same) than stuttering video.

So what's the reason MP has problems with audio/video sync at 24Hz? Does it internally use a different clock that only plays right at 60Hz?

No clue what causes it (for example I dont see such behaviour). It could be for example the codecs or audio renderer.

MP itself isnt using clocks when it comes to video playback, directshow (audio and video renderers) are the driving force.

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    No clue what causes it (for example I dont see such behaviour). It could be for example the codecs or audio renderer.

MP itself isnt using clocks when it comes to video playback, directshow (audio and video renderers) are the driving force.

Can you tell me what audio and video hardware and codecs you use?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Nvidia GF7600, Gigabyte onboard audio chip (sorry cannot remember the exact model), Cyberlink audio and video codecs (for tv cyberlink video and ffdshow audio).

lordarcane

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Still, it seems for me like it failes when using evr as rendered. I get the sync okey by using vmr9, cyberliknk for video and ffdshow for audio. Othervise sound/picture is not in sync in 24hz.

And f course reklock

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Nvidia GF7600, Gigabyte onboard audio chip (sorry cannot remember the exact model), Cyberlink audio and video codecs (for tv cyberlink video and ffdshow audio).

Thanks. As I have Nvidia too, I will test these codecs.

Still, it seems for me like it failes when using evr as rendered. I get the sync okey by using vmr9, cyberliknk for video and ffdshow for audio. Othervise sound/picture is not in sync in 24hz.

And f course reklock

For me it's vmr causing sync problems. EVR causes heavy tearing here under XP.

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    For me it's vmr causing sync problems......
    Also with exclusive mode selected?

Disabling exclusive mode solves the sync problem but causes tearing as under evr.

And using cyberlink codecs in MP gives me very good results with very little sync problems (only noticable after ten or more minutes).

My new setup now combines cyberlink audio and video codecs with reclock.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    One possible cause for audio & video sync issues is also high CPU usage, please remember that on dual core CPUs the issue can be triggered when CPU usage hits the 50%, as most of the codecs are only single threaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom