THDBASED

Portal Pro
January 30, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Started on: 2007-01-11
last update: 2007-01-11

Summary:
Just basically an automatic updating system.

Area:
Mediaportal

Description:
I was doing a search on this and to my surprise nobody has ever talked about this as a feature. The thing is I know that not everyone does SVN releases. So therefor there should be some options you can select which kind of updates you want.

1 . Only updates for a new stable release

2 . All updates so also SVN updates.

The software should check if new updates are available and ask for the permission to download and install new updates. In the server part there should be an option to find new (SVN) updates and install them automatically because the server is probably not hooked up to a screen and/or keyboard and mouse.

I know that most of the software and code is still beta and implementing this is maybe a bit overkill but I sure would be HANDY, imagine being always up to date with the newest code and this without having to go to the website and downloading the files and putting them in the right dir.

Maybe this feature is something for the future but maybe it is a good idea to start thinking about this now so it would be ready when the future (whenever this may be :) ) is present!

Also it would be handy, like in my situation. I am still running the previous stable release because I don't really want to uninstall this version and then reinstall the newer version, which to me is kind of strange.

Now I need your input, as well as from devs as from users,

THDBASED

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I do remember that some time (6 months? longer?) someone developed a automatic SVN downloader. This did create some irritation by at least parts of the dev group because of both the bandwith consumed by the SVN-server and the problem that this would make the SVN a little too accessible, since, after all SVN is quite bleeding edge and far from stable. It might be a good idea for stable releases though, maybe, from a UI perspective a "New version is available: Download&install/Remind me later/STFU?" dialog when starting MP.

At any rate, some attention is needed for "the other side", so to sourceforge policies, suddenly overasked and inaccessible private servers etc

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    In the beginning of mp back in 2004, there was an automatic update process integrated in mp. it was p2p like, so that closing mp didn´t hurt a partly downloaded update. It was abandonned at that time, I think due to bandwidth and maybe stability reasons (can´t remember exactly). Don´t know if this code is still somewhere in the svn.

and there was a french group which wanted to create a updater for plugins and skins, but I think they have given up, but maybe they have some code-parts.

tomtom

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Bandwidth problems? What is the difference if you download the files from site or if you download them using this system?

Maybe a little more updates will be downloaded but this will have a positive effect too. The more people are running the latest versions the more people would be able to post bug reports....

I think this system would be a great help for everyone...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maybe a little more updates will be downloaded but this will have a positive effect too. The more people are running the latest versions the more people would be able to post bug reports....

SVN builds are only ment for testing and they aren't normal updates. If users want's to do testing then he/she can manually download the latest SVN and apply that. I hope that not that many normal users are running SVNs. It's like running with scissors in the dark room.

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I agree. We shouldn't make SVN updates quite that readily available. I do think a simple notification in the splash screen, home screen or somewhere else would make a big difference for many users. Something simple like: "New stable release available (0.2.2). Visit www.team-mediaportal.com to upgrade"

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

SVN builds are only ment for testing and they aren't normal updates. If users want's to do testing then he/she can manually download the latest SVN and apply that. I hope that not that many normal users are running SVNs. It's like running with scissors in the dark room.

That is why I was saying that there should an option, SVN and stable or ONLY stable releases. I really think it would make a huge difference for users.

The thing is that uninstalling a previous stable release to install a new one is kind of strange and not very user friendly. HTPC systems don't usually have keyboards or a mouse attached to it and when the system is nicely integrated in the living room tucked away in a Stereo cabinet it is a pain in the ass to update...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

That is why I was saying that there should an option, SVN and stable or ONLY stable releases. I really think it would make a huge difference for users.

The thing is that uninstalling a previous stable release to install a new one is kind of strange and not very user friendly. HTPC systems don't usually have keyboards or a mouse attached to it and when the system is nicely integrated in the living room tucked away in a Stereo cabinet it is a pain in the ass to update...

Well, at least I wouldn dare to install a SVN MP to a computer that doesn't have a keyboard + mouse :) When testing, you usualy need to look in to logs etc, so it's good to have mouse + keyboard available.

And what comes to updating the stable MP releases those can be done view VNC / remote desktop. Developing a prefectly working auto update system is not a small task and that time would be a way from the developing of the MP itself. Se everytime when a user installs MP manualy he/she should think that he/she was giving some time to developers :)

In my opinion a downloader inside the MP for plugins and skins would me much more useful than the auto updater for MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In my opinion a downloader inside the MP for plugins and skins would me much more useful than the auto updater for MP

Usefull if linked inside settings/Skins or plugins, which only go to those skins/plugins to download suitable ones for that version of Mediaportal only.

That would cut the size of MP for downloading and make anything installed afterwards idiot proof (yes I know there is no such thing).

As far as automatically downloading svn's, not a good idea.
    if someone is experienced enough fine and really does want to test new svn's, great, the average user of MP and we have seen posts here, will complain about svn's being inherently unstable or broke there setup for day to day use at some point and then bitch about it on the forum, that is not the feedback the Dev's want or deserve.

Only my opinion.

regards

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    That is why SVN downloads should be turned of by default and stable releases turned on...I do not understand what all of you are saying that it is not a good idea to have SVN downloaded automatically, to me there is no difference in having people to download it from the site of having it done automatically other then being more user friendly and easier...

p.s.: If this sounded a bit harsh, please excuse me then I do not mean this in a bad way I just want to debate this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom