Automatic updates (1 Viewer)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    That is why SVN downloads should be turned of by default and stable releases turned on...I do not understand what all of you are saying that it is not a good idea to have SVN downloaded automatically, to me there is no difference in having people to download it from the site of having it done automatically other then being more user friendly and easier...
    Part of the problem of having an automatic SVN download is the potential for undreds if not thousands (in the future) of systems trying to download the SVN at the same time.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    The number of people downloading SVN shouldn't change. If someone didn't download it from the site he or she will probably not attempt to do it with the auto system...Not everyone has his machine turned on at the same time also...and you could develop the system that you can set a time at which it should check to see if there are updates.

I am starting to think that I am the only one who believes in this system :) I thought people would be more enthusiastic about this.

Nobody who can back me up on this issue? Maybe one of the Devs? :) I am starting to feel lonely over here... :)

mirk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2006
    Växjö, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I also like the ide of a update function in MP. But i would just be satisfied with a button in settings, there i manualy can update MP.
    And a option that can be activated in the configuration to make it also possible to update to latest SVN if you want.

wertzui

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2005
    im the guy, who has developed such an automatic svn downloader.
    i wanted to release it in the past, but i was told thats noot good, because:
    -to high bandwidth
    -people wont click on ads, cause no ads displayed
    -would lead to many unstable versions

and i thing, that should be respected. the server costs are quite high and if more people will download svn versions, it would consume more bandwith.
    if you are willing to pay for svn downloads, then it would MAYBE be ok.
    but otherwise there is just a no.
    if you really want one, develop one yourself, but dont complain on the forums about bugs you will get that way.
    and yes, i still have that prog and yes, sometimes you will get bugs because of it and no, i will not share it.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    So now the world is totally upside down...."It is not a good thing when more people post bugs on this forum?" :) Where is the sense in that? IT IS BETTER WHEN MORE PEOPLE POST BUGS, because then more bugs get fixed and that way the software becomes more reliable...

So again and now this must be the third time by now. SVN download should be turned OFF by default and STABLE releases should be turned ON by default. Look at it this way too, some people are posting bugs here when they are not running the last version where this bug is maybe fixed...

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    There shouldn't be any option to download SVN automatic @ all, there have been to many "bad" posts because some doesn't understand what SVN it's for, it's not an update it's work in progress/test build & most of the time it have bugs inside, causing you to remove/re add tuner cards, rebuild db (tv, music, video, etc).
    They that want to test & help out (which it's very nice :) ) know how SVN builds works & know the risk with using it & yes sometimes we ask users to use it to see if bugs are fixed.

But @ the end this it's only my own opinion ;)

Regards
    Roy

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Ok, and what is your opinion about automatic STABLE release updates?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    When updating between "stable" releases this could of course have been an automatic notification & downloading, but i don't think it should install by itself.

Some points:
    There could be that it is recommended to remove old version & then install fresh, because there have been many changes to the database or tuner card definitions (because of driver changes from the manufacturer).
    The same to thumbs as we have seen now between 0.2.1.0 & 0.2.2.0 where you could end up with duplicated images as a result (yeah i know, thats us that have large collection of music :) ).

So sometimes a clean install it's better then a upgrade over a old version & you can easily, but not always (it's not a huge prob i know it's just a point) get bug reports which could have been avoided with a clean install.......

If those thing it's solved in a nice way i don't see any problem with it :)
    But this it's my opinion, other can see this from an other angle.

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom