Automatic updates (1 Viewer)

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Having played with MP since 0.1.x.x I know that automatic updates are not an option yet due to deep rooted changes for example (taking on one's tv channels/groups has not always been that easy ;) ).

However, a simple noticfication (when installing and/or entering setup) showing a new stable version is out would be very useful. This can avoid frustrated users due old & fixed bugs and as well bug reports that have already been fixed.

GetWell

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would like to see auto "stable" release install to...

Is it realy so dificult to handle the difference in the configurationfiles from one release to another?

You know what has changed from the one to the other...

Maeby some changes are so hughe that an auto configuration will not be posible, but then it can come with an message saying "The TV Cards could not be fixed automatical, please do it your self" ??

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I would say it's much more important to make MP more stable or add some echanments to it that to try to add an automatic update feature.

It's not a small task to create automatic updated that can handle all the different database versions and converting the data between them. I think it would be just waste of time when doing such an updater for software that's still in beta.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would say it's much more important to make MP more stable or add some echanments to it that to try to add an automatic update feature.

It's not a small task to create automatic updated that can handle all the different database versions and converting the data between them. I think it would be just waste of time when doing such an updater for software that's still in beta.

Every STABLE update of MP has not recognised a database of some kind, hopefully at some point in the future this will be totally standardised.

Plus if you have a totally working version of Mediaportal, configured exactly to how you like it, and a update happens and it screws up some settings, would that not piss you off.

A POPUP to say there is a updated version, not a bad idea, but only on launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom