Automatically Tune to Strongest Duplicate Channel (2 Viewers)

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@CyberSimian :
Tuning results... with channel movement detection to follow.
1593394755735.png

1593394860412.png

I did this test twice to be sure.

Last edited:

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Home Country
@CyberSimian
I have looked into the code to see what might be the issue.
I can't find anything yet though.

I'm loathe to ask you to clear all channels and try without movement detection, but that could be a next logical test.
I get different results with Movement Detection on and off. I get more channels with it off.

There must be a reason for your results in the code though. Just struggling to understand where.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'm loathe to ask you to clear all channels and try without movement detection,
    I have been performing these tests using the test partition in my HTPC (my test partition is a copy of my production partition). I can try your suggestion and see what happens, but I won't be able to try that until later. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    try without movement detection
    Still no success, sadly. :(

I deleted all TV and radio channels, rebooted (just for good measure), and then used the new scanner without "enable channel movement detection" selected. This is what I got; notice that it did not detect any channels for MUXes 1 and 5 (and the counts of the channels found are consistent with this):

new_scanner,empty_db,no_chan_move_(1).jpg new_scanner,empty_db,no_chan_move_(2).jpg

I then deleted all of the channels, rebooted, and used the old scanner; this time it found channels in all MUXes:

old_scanner,empty_db,no_chan_move_(1).jpg old_scanner,empty_db,no_chan_move_(2).jpg

Sorry, but I don't know what the problem might be. :(

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Still no success, sadly. :(

Sorry, but I don't know what the problem might be. :(

No problem.

Just back to the drawing board a little.

Very much appreciate your efforts !!!

I've clearly got some work to do.... :eek:

Oddly a new MediaPortal build environment for this work is, errr, shot to **** at present
    Bear with me.

I found a candidate for the behaviour, but setuptv.exe terminates on use from the current build env.
    Once I get further I'll update with new test code.

New release with promising results I hope shipped here.

Name: 1.25.n.7z
    Size: 846927 bytes (827 KiB)
    SHA256: 98E9364AEB5F9B52B2950A0C083D22B8F3861BA09A7AE5101287810E4E7A4089

Name: 1.25.n.zip
    Size: 1220683 bytes (1192 KiB)
    SHA256: 6F623E0F0009BB03590CF3542AE48278E3D074F22B43ED4217C2888F3023B8CD

Attachments

• 1.25.n.7z
      827.1 KB
    • 1.25.n.zip
      1.2 MB
    Last edited:

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    A new candidate complete with UI element defaulting to false will be available in the next few minutes/hours.
    Code has been updated in this repo: vapoureyes/mediaportal

So far we have this:
    1593616842275.png

Conscious not to waste test time I'm doing some comprehensive tests here.

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I deleted all TV channels and brought them back again.

I completed 2 regional scans and an 'All Regions' scan. The first 2 picked up most channels.
    '
    1593617930799.png

Full implementation, subject to test.

Strongest channel selection defaults to false and is not persisted between Setup sessions.

*** also this test .exe is for +ve Bias cards (0 -> -100 & 0 -> +100) only.
    *** global reach dictates another switch, maybe called 'Negative bias cards' for cards -100 -> 0.

Attachments

• 1.25.n.zip
      1.2 MB
    • 1.25.n.zip
      1.2 MB
    Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Full implementation, subject to test.
    Well, this version is better, but we are not there yet. :(

I performed four tests:
    • Empty channel database, with and without prefer strongest, without channel movement detection.
    • Filled channel database, with and without prefer strongest, with channel movement detection.
    The number of channels detected was the same in all cases: 94 TV channels and 33 radio channels. (y)
    What looks wrong is the handling of channel movement detection:
    • The screen shot on the left shows the result when prefer strongest is not enabled.
    • The screen shot on the right shows the result when prefer strongest is enabled.
    Notice that when prefer strongest is not enabled, the number of channels updated is equal to the number of channels detected, but this number is always zero when prefer strongest is enabled:

new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,no_strongest.jpg new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,with_strongest.jpg

Even if there is no change to an existing channel, the old scanner considers it to be "updated", and so that channel appears in the count of updated channels. Is the new scanner excluding existing channels if they have not actually changed? The disadvantage of this is that there is no indication at the end of scanning of how many channels were found.

Strongest channel selection defaults to false and is not persisted between Setup sessions.
    This is consistent with the way that the other settings on that panel are not saved between successive invocations of "TV Server Config" (y). Personally, I think that there would be some advantage to the user if certain of those settings were perserved, but that is a separate work item. :D

also this test .exe is for +ve Bias cards (0 -> -100 & 0 -> +100) only.
    global reach dictates another switch, maybe called 'Negative bias cards' for cards -100 -> 0.
    I am not happy about the need to externalise this :(. How many users will know whether their tuner cards are positive or negative? And what about those users who have a mixture of cards?

Also, I thought that you had decided to use signal quality as the determining factor, and not signal strength? Is it the case that signal quality can also be on a negative scale (0% quality = -100; 100% quality = 0)? :(

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Well, this version is better, but we are not there yet. :(

I performed four tests:
    • Empty channel database, with and without prefer strongest, without channel movement detection.
    • Filled channel database, with and without prefer strongest, with channel movement detection.
    The number of channels detected was the same in all cases: 94 TV channels and 33 radio channels. (y)
    What looks wrong is the handling of channel movement detection:
    • The screen shot on the left shows the result when prefer strongest is not enabled.
    • The screen shot on the right shows the result when prefer strongest is enabled.
    Notice that when prefer strongest is not enabled, the number of channels updated is equal to the number of channels detected, but this number is always zero when prefer strongest is enabled:
    Even if there is no change to an existing channel, the old scanner considers it to be "updated", and so that channel appears in the count of updated channels. Is the new scanner excluding existing channels if they have not actually changed? The disadvantage of this is that there is no indication at the end of scanning of how many channels were found.

I am working on this. I have code that updates counts better. I now need to pay closer attention to it.

This is consistent with the way that the other settings on that panel are not saved between successive invocations of "TV Server Config" (y). Personally, I think that there would be some advantage to the user if certain of those settings were perserved, but that is a separate work item. :D
    Noting your comments here.

I am not happy about the need to externalise this :(. How many users will know whether their tuner cards are positive or negative? And what about those users who have a mixture of cards?

Also, I thought that you had decided to use signal quality as the determining factor, and not signal strength? Is it the case that signal quality can also be on a negative scale (0% quality = -100; 100% quality = 0)? :(

Forgive me. I am mixing terms. in the code we do have:

Code:
    public int signalQuality;

Please ignore the previous comment about card bias.

I'll check latest results here - and ensure they are an improvement and then post for test ?

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Empty DB. Local region scan.

1593709452619.png

Updates appearing... I think this is better ?

Will do more and update this same post.
    1593709737285.png

Second - different region scan.

Both with Strongest channel selection latest.

Updated SetupTV.exe... not sure which DLL's are needed ... included.

Attachments

• 1.25.n.7z
      821.8 KB
    • 1.25.n.zip
      1.1 MB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom