Automatically Tune to Strongest Duplicate Channel (2 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Updated SetupTV.exe
    I did the following tests with the updated SetupTv.exe:

(1) New scanner, empty database, no move, no strongest.
    (2) New scanner, filled database, with move, no strongest.
    (3) New scanner, empty database, no move, with strongest.
    (4) New scanner, filled database, with move, with strongest.

Only (4) looks not quite right :(. The counts of updated TV channels are now correct, but the counts of updated radio channels are still zero:

new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,with_strongest.jpg

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I did the following tests with the updated SetupTv.exe:

(4) New scanner, filled database, with move, with strongest.

Only (4) looks not quite right :(. The counts of updated TV channels are now correct, but the counts of updated radio channels are still zero:

View attachment 206204

1593868776740.png

1593868871029.png

I think we're getting closer. New solution attached.

@CyberSimian - greatly appreciated !!!

Attachments

• 1.25.n.7z
      821.9 KB
    • 1.25.n.zip
      1.2 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I think we're getting closer. New solution attached.
    I have tested the latest version, using the four tests that I listed in my previous post. This time all four tests produced the expected results (y). Here is the screen shot for test (4):

new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,with_strongest.jpg

This time I also decided to perform an "All regions" scan to see if I could receive any channels from other transmitters, but as expected none were received:

new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,with_strongest,all_freq_(1).jpg new_scanner,filled_db,with_move,with_strongest,all_freq_(2).jpg

So I am not in a position to be able to test the action of selecting the strongest of duplicate channels. If anyone else is reading this thread, and you live in a region where two or more transmitters give receivable signals, now would be the time to download the latest build and test it :D. It has no known problems, but it is always a good idea to backup your system before installing the changed files, just in case.

Finally, as I have never performed an all-regions scan before, I was curious to see how long it would take, so I timed it. It took 11 mins 20 secs. This time is probably typical for the UK, but other countries may take longer or shorter times to scan all frequencies.

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I have extended the code to filter out channels with a channel number of 10000. I think this is the number used if channel details retrieval fails.

Improvements were seen, but is this the right thing to do ?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have extended the code to filter out channels with a channel number of 10000. I think this is the number used if channel details retrieval fails
    I have never seen channels with that number at my location. Possibly this is because I have good signal strength for the 6 MUXes that my aerial can receive, and zero signal strength for the 2 MUXes that my aerial cannot receive (the 6 are vertically polarised, the other 2 are horizontally polarised).

is this the right thing to do ?
    If that channel number is the result of a marginal signal, it is unlikely that the channel would be watchable. If you can receive channels with that number, have you tried watching them? Are they of watchable quality, or do they suffer from too much pixelation? Remember that MP has to work worldwide, and maybe there are some DVB-T transmission systems that don't set the channel number, or which set the channel number in a location in the datastream where MP does not look for it. The user can use the "Edit Channel" dialogue in "TV Server Config" to specify some other channel number, so a channel number of 10000 is not fatal (provided that the signal is strong enough to be watchable).

So, I don't know what to recommend. :confused:

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    If that channel number is the result of a marginal signal, it is unlikely that the channel would be watchable. If you can receive channels with that number, have you tried watching them? Are they of watchable quality, or do they suffer from too much pixelation? Remember that MP has to work worldwide, and maybe there are some DVB-T transmission systems that don't set the channel number, or which set the channel number in a location in the datastream where MP does not look for it. The user can use the "Edit Channel" dialogue in "TV Server Config" to specify some other channel number, so a channel number of 10000 is not fatal (provided that the signal is strong enough to be watchable).

So, I don't know what to recommend. :confused:

Channels with 10000 are not tuneable here. They can effect MP if tuned here.
    1. They can cause the video signal to fail forever till restarted.
    2. They can freeze mp for a time between a few seconds and forever.

They are generally bad here, but, I am very aware of your comments about world-wide.

It seems like a new(ish) conundrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom