AV-Receiver-Pro's around? (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hi guys,

I am running in quite a few lipsync issues and get more and more the feeling, that its related to my current hardware/cable-setup:

Video: HDMI from HTPC directly to Samsung UE46F6890
    Audio: SPDIF from HTPC to quite old (around 10 years) Yamaha RX-V 440 AV-Receiver

So I a m now thinking about upgrading my AV-Receiver. My budget is quite small, so currently I opt to Yamaha RX-V477. The most interesting thing for me currently is the lipsync feature which should be included. As far as I understand, all devices must support this HDMI-feature to work properly.

What I've researched so far:
    - Motherboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme6) supports lipsync
    - Yamaha V477 supports lipsync
    - Samsung TV should support it (according to their technical hotline; nothing in the manual regarding this)

So my first question is: has anyone experience with a similar setup like this (maybe even a Samsung TV) and can tell me, if lipsync is working?

Quite curious for your answers...

Cheers

The Stig

Illuminator

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    first, I can't answer your questions, sorry.
    But my setup is similar Yamaha RX-V1600, Sharp LC60..., same cable-setup.
    I had lipsync problems, too. The TV (picture) was too slow. My solution was to change the TV-modus from "normal" or whatever to "game", what is nearly lagfree. This works great here, lipsync-problems are gone.

Maybe it is worth a try....

Illuminator

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Thanks for your hint, but the picture is such crappy on games-mode, that it's unfortunately no option for me...(and additionally it don't seem to change lipsync for me neither)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Setting audio trough HDMI and SPDIF or whatever out from TV to amp?
    Seen some suggestions about that in various threads but no idea if that is the solution.
    I have sort of the same problem that you have and that is the path I'm planning....

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My experience is that this lipsync feature is a pure load of crap.

I have an onkyo 3010 and had a Samsung b series 8000 TV and it never worked :).(htpc and other sources)

My advice:
    Let the htpc always output the same resolution I.e. 1080p

User mpar audio renderer to output sound via PCM to your avr all the time for every audio format (except TV - works fine for me others report problems)

Test your input lag of the TV and set the av sync on your avr to that

Do that and you will be a happy man!

Once you start bit-streaming one audio type and PCM for another type you will run into trouble because of different processing times - the same accounts if your output resolution changes.

You can never adjust for a faulty out of sync video :)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are you saying stop using dynamic refresh?
    Wont that make many videos "choppy when panning"? I used to have that problem but when dynamic refresh those all went away.
    Got a guide or something?

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did not say that leave that. Leave dynamic refresh on

Just stay always at the same resolution - but I think MP can't change resolution depending on source material anyways.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Test your input lag of the TV and set the av sync on your avr to that
    My AV has no sync-setting at all ;-) And I cannot adjust it in LAV Audio Decoder because depending on source (Video, TV - even which channel/program) is different.

So I now ordered a new Receiver and will see if it gets better...

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    My AV has no sync-setting at all ;-) And I cannot adjust it in LAV Audio Decoder because depending on source (Video, TV - even which channel/program) is different.

So I now ordered a new Receiver and will see if it gets better...

Before you do.. please try connecting the HTPC to the TV using HDMI and put sound trough HDMI to the TV. then output sound from TV to amp.

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Before you do.. please try connecting the HTPC to the TV using HDMI and put sound trough HDMI to the TV. then output sound from TV to amp

Yeah thats you last hope - let you TV output the sound to your avr and hope the TV sends it in-sync with the displayed picture.

Otherwise get a new avr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom