AverMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It receives the HD but needs to tune it via the analog card eh. So it is being sold as a add-on card to get the FTA HD signal in addition to the standard analog. I may, through a friend of a friend thing, be able to get one of these cards to test with MP and no analog card. If I do I will try it and see what happens. Is this code in CVS now?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds like a plan - yes it's in CVS.
    If you see any issues - post a log pls or PM me.

DMAN

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I stand by what I said earlier in this thread.
    As the unhappy owner of an Aver 771 card I am seeing all the same things happening here.

Even though the 771 could easily have BDA capabilities if Aver wanted it too, with many people very eager to do *all* the work if Aver would just provide a little information (you tried too, DMan) , they refused and we all ended up with a dud card.
    Seems like the same thing here. It *could* work as you would expect, but I guess that would detract from other market segments so they hobble the card.

Until their act seems to have been "cleaned up" I am quite happy to warn people away from Aver...

A

Anonymous

dman_lfc said:
    It seems AverMedia has shot themselves in the foot again.
    I spoke to some bone head at AverMedia Tech Support and he stated the A180 does need the analogue tuner as the card is only capable of receiving HDTV and not tuning it... :roll: ...this seems highly suspicious to me since the card appears to have a tuner, demod & decoder onboard.
    When asked how it works he stated via the drivers across the PCI bus - but when looking at the drivers they look like Philips generic drivers to me.
    But anyway - I would steer clear of it unless someone can tell us otherwise under MP (without an analogue card in the system that is).

DMAN

Hi,

I'm in the process of adding HDTV support to my Pvr app and I can confirm that the A180 does not require any other tuners installed to use and tune the HD signals. I believe the confusion comes from the fact that MCE requires at least one analog tuner card installed in order to get HDTV cards to work. I'm no expert on MCE, but I recall reading many articles on that subject.

Regards,
    Carm.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    ComputerTimeCO said:
    I believe the confusion comes from the fact that MCE requires at least one analog tuner card installed in order to get HDTV cards to work. I'm no expert on MCE, but I recall reading many articles on that subject.

Thanks for the updater Cam, I still stand by my comments. Why do the tech support guys think that the analog card handles the tuning over the PCI bus? Doesn't inspire much confidence...

By the way, link to your program?

A

Anonymous

Marcusb said:
    Thanks for the updater Cam, I still stand by my comments. Why do the tech support guys think that the analog card handles the tuning over the PCI bus? Doesn't inspire much confidence...

By the way, link to your program?

I can't speak for their tech people, maybe it was just the wrong person to speak to. The A180 has separate capture filters for Video & Audio that I think they use to capture via Svideo/Composite & RCA inputs. Beyond that I have no idea what this tech person was really trying to say.

My software is a commercial app and I do not consider it appropriate to promote it in someone else's project. Thanks for your interest and I'm sorry I did not provide the info you ask for.

Regards,
    Carm.

PLeblanc

Portal Member
    February 10, 2005
    So is this a MCE thing? Does anyone have one under other versions of xp that it works for? For sub $100, I might be able to get one and test it out if no one else can talk to this.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ComputerTimeCO - What are your impressions of this card? For the price it certainly has my interest.

A

Anonymous

CodeMonkey said:
    ComputerTimeCO - What are your impressions of this card? For the price it certainly has my interest.

I have very limited broadcast HDTV programs where I live since cable and mountains own all rights. With the few channels I get, I am impressed overall by HDTV. It is difficult to judge the A180 based on the limited programs, but it seems to perform well. I have found one issue that I'm not sure who is at fault. When the card does not like what a program(software) is doing to it. It has the tendency to reboot the PC. I should know more about this card in a couple weeks. I'll see if I can report my thoughts then.

Positives I've discovered so far:
    BDA Drivers.
    No problems installing drivers( no cd in box, drivers must be downloaded).
    Works well with analog TV cards.
    Closed Captioning works without driver/registry hacks.
    Output quality is amazing especially considering it is broadcast.

Regards,
    Carm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom