AVerTV remote control plugin (3 Viewers)

jomofer

November 4, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi everyone!!

this is my first post here and i have to say that media portal and the plugins are awesome, congratulations to all the people involved!!

But i have a problem with avertv plugin. I have used media portal 0.2.0.4 , 0.2.0.0 and 0.2.1.0, but the media portal setup aplication says to me that it is not compatible with my MP version. I have read that is supported by 0.2.0.10 , is the same as 0.2.1.0?? I have always used the last version of the plugin(0.3).

Thanks to all and sorry for my poor english vocabulary.
Bye bye

swarm

October 14, 2006
Czech Republic
jomofer:
This version could be the best for me (remote control and Czech chars in EPG works fine) if it didn't hang the computer when I changed the TV channel :( .

So I can't use this version. I spend whole day getting this program to work and it still didn't ready to use. It makes me very crazy :( .

My system:
CPU: Sepron 2400+, RAM: 512MB DDR400, HDD: SATA 250GB, OS: WinXP Pro SP2, GPU: ATI All-in-Wonder 8500DV, TV: Aver DVB-T 777, MoBo: MSI K880

chrismalone

Portal Member
December 16, 2005
Cannot thank you enough for creating this plugin!!!!!!!
posted for ages on mp forums waiting for it to be developed for dvbt-777 and i had never done mp plugins before so had no idea.

especially like how the taskbar app doesn't need to be already started and is automatically closed :)

franjorge

Portal Member
November 15, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi there

I wonder if someone would be willing to help - I am new to all this and have been given what appears to be an Avermedia 203 - It doesn't give a model on the sticker, but says it is ModelM168

I can't seem to get the latest drivers etc to work - The AverTV app is version 4 though. I got new drivers from Aver along with version 5 of the avertv - but it just crashes every time the avertv app starts up

Will mediaportal work with this version 4 and more importantly, will this plugin allow me to use the remote?

Sorry for posting in here, but the reason I found this post was due to the desire to get the remote working, only once reading did I see references to version 6 etc...

Any help anyone is willing to provide would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks

Dave

Isn't anybody willing to help this guy? I have the same TV card as him :)

Pleaseeeee!!

Fran

Red5

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Isn't anybody willing to help this guy? I have the same TV card as him
I think I may be able to help you guys as I fixed the exact same problem myself yesterday...

I also recently purchased a second hand AverMedia card which was supplied with a AverTV 301/303 driver disc, the drivers installed but the card wouldn't work! This shouldn't have been too surprising as I have subsequently discovered that the 301/303 cards are phillips sa71xx based cards, whilst the one I have is a Conexant bt878a based card, D'oH! (why the drivers even installed in the first place is beyond me)

I then tried Dscaler (http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/) as this is supposed to work with many older cards WITHOUT drivers (or in my case with the wrong ones installed :p ). It detected the card as an "Avermedia TVCapture98" card and tuning the card worked... sort of. My SkyTV box showed up on Air Channel 2 (UK) but I couldn't get any sound (and my SkyTV box should be on channel 38 as well.)

Next it's back to the Avermedia page to download the "TV-Capture98(BT-878 chip) (M168)" drivers http://www.avermedia.com/software/tvp982kxp.zip . Again the drivers installed but I had no luck getting the card to work.

My only recoure now was to pull my box from under the TV and remove the card to see if there was anything helpful written on it. Nope just M168-U in the top right corner - not particularly helpful as Avermedia have around a dozen different cards all with the M168 suffix! I then discovered the BTTV Card gallery (http://www.bttv-gallery.de/) which rarther helpfully lists lots of bt8x8 based TV cards with pictures! Studying that led me to believe that my card was a plain "AverTV" card (i.e. VERY old) although the picture for that entry actually shows a "TV Phone 98/TV Capture 98" card. :mad:

Back to the AverMedia site, locate driver page for "Discontinued - AverTV (M168)" card, download file... TeletextWDM2001.zip. It turns out however that this file doesn't actually include ANY drivers, just the Teletext viewing utilty for this card but at least the photo looks like it's my card.... Crappy AverMedia website :mad:

On the left of this page however there's a cryptic "AP Ver4.31" entry, could this possibly allude to the correct driver/software version perhaps? That file can be found on several of the other cards listed as (M168) and downloading the file from the "TV-Phone98 w/VCR(BT-878 chip) (M168)" page gave me a http://www.avermedia.com/software/Avertv431.zip

The Zip contained these two files:
Avertv431AP.zip The software
Driver878_V5370_XPLogo.zip The Driver (I hope!)

After installing the drivers the AverMedia crossbar entry was still showing in hardware properties with an exclamation mark, a reboot soon fixed that though :D Then I installed the software and Lo my card now works! YAY!

The video on the 4.31 software is a bit crappy, and I haven't tried MediaPortal yet. DScaler works, but crashes 50% of the time on start up and still insists that my card is a TVCapture 98 card. K!TV (http://www.kastortv.org/) however gives pretty good output.

Hopefully this will help you get your cards working, as it looks like in most cases you probably need the http://www.avermedia.com/software/Avertv431.zip file for the older bt878 based cards although the AverMedia download page won't necessarily tell you that! Looking through the BTTV gallery can also be helpful in trying to discover exactly which card you have in the first place.

Update 1:
I tried the BTWinCap WDM drivers as these are supposed to be better/faster than the AverMedia ones. Installed fine and gave me better stability in 3rd party apps like DScaler, however there is a downside... The remote control no longer works :( Put the AverMedia drivers back on.

Update 2:
It appears you only need the drivers from the Avertv431.zip file. I discovered that the Remote wasn't working as well with things like Windows Media Player with the v4.31 Application (couldn't swith to full screen by pressing enter, or change the volume) like I could before. I uninstalled the v4.31 software (NOT the drivers!) and reinstalled the v5.00 software from my AverMedia 301/303 install CD and now have:

a) Much better Video quality than before, plus the tuner still works ;) this also means I probably don't need to mess about with 3rd party apps like K!TV.
b) The remote works "properly" again :)

P.S. The AverMedia links are for the UK version of the site/drivers... you may need to find the equivalent files for your own region (eg USA, Spain) as I also tried the v4 drivers from the USA site at some point and those didn't work (it looks like PureLoneWolf might have tried those as well, but he probaly need files from the German website)

Red5

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
AverTV Remote Plugin working

OK, I can now confirm that the AverTV remote plugin also works with the following:

TVCard: AverTV (M168-U) [U.K. Version] Conexant bt878a card
Remote: AverMedia A2 Remote

Card Drivers: Driver878_V5370_XPLogo (from Avertv431 - see post above)
AverTV Software: Version 5.00

MediaPortal Version 0.2.1.0
AVerTV remote control plugin 0.3.5.0

Very nice job Alex, rated your plugin 5/5 on the downloads page :D

Now all I need to figure out is how to get the TV card itself to work in MP and I'm laughing :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom