AverTVHD A180 users: Not working Yet, Some info here (1 Viewer)

icepick

Portal Member
June 23, 2005
Colorado
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
HDTV Wonder

I have an HDTV Wonder - and it sorta works - my EPG isn't effecting my tv at all (that I can tell). The problem I have is everything works find until I go full screen - then I get a big ugly box blocking 1/4 of my screen saying "no video detected" - but behind that - my tv plays fine. Ohh yeah - no time shifting either.

IcePick

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Avermedia has a software player on their website www.aver.com . It enables one to use the A180 on a non MCE system. It works quite well. I used it yesterday to get some HD content for the first time. i was very pleased.

A minor complaint about the Aver Player: There is no signal strength indicator. Your picture will stutter/skip/freeze if you do not have a solid signal (understandable since the signal is digital). Because of this, I would like to tweak my antenna (a large one on the roof) to see if I can alleviate the problem. It would be nice if there was a way to measure the signal strength (like the MP tuning section for digital cards).

Anyways, the pictue is fantaastic and it runs very smoothly (with a good signal) on my system.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Update for a180 Users

I've been doing some research over at the AVS HTPC Forums and I managed to hook up with a few A180 users.

There is an issue with the A180 and the Avermedia playabck software on Nforce 2 motherboards. There is a PCI/IRQ request issue that causes frequent stuttering/signal loss. I have this issue and it is quite annoying. However, someone has written a small application that let's you use many types of ATSC cards (Fusion, Avermedia, ATi) and designate your own playback codecs!

Here is the AVS Forum Thread regarding he WatchHDTV app:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590020&page=1&pp=60

Do note, though, that the A180 still does not work properly within MediaPortal's My Tv framework. But at least this enables some of us to get some Over the Air HDTV action at home.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Why don't you enroll him to the MediaPortal team?
    Combined efforts, single GUI interface US based programmer and all that...

DMAN

Stealth1971

Portal Member
    October 20, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I might be able to help.. I am testing out MP - I like what I see. I was an avid SageTV fan/user so I built their first HD recorder plugin - HDNE. They however decided to try to incorporate that functionality without telling anyone - the CTO even thanked me for the work but didnt mention that they were working on it too... Anyways their HD solution is not working as advertised yet and Sage is closed source. (and pretty buggy).

So I have a working BDA/ATSC capture core written in C++ with a C# wrapper. It can record a TS file or PS file (I am still working on pulling the right PIDs though) I prefer to store the PS file because it is smaller. I just need to figure out where to start.

Stealth

Stealth1971

Portal Member
    October 20, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    No I havent contacted the main developers yet... I really havent done IRC messaging.... Is that the prefered contact method?

I am going to add my stuff in some how - just to get a working HD PVR!!! I am using an ATI HD Wonder... but I have been asked to pick up a Fusion card to see if I can get QAM working too.

I had around 400+ downloads of my plugin... and lots of feedback and working out of bugs - testing done on Fusion cards, A180s, and ATI HD wonders.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    You may want to PM frodo first to chat with him - he is one of the main developers. Due to different time zones it maybe difficult to find a developer on IRC at the same time. From the work you discribe I expect you to be an asset to the MP Team.

Best wishes.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom