AVForums MediaPortal Setup Guide (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Following on from my AVForums HTPC Software comparison guide I realised that many people who use the AVForums HTPC thread tend to shy away from using MP because they find the setup too daunting. So I have set about writing a step-by-step guide for configuring MP, based upon a UK Freeview and Freesat setup.

It is turning into a bit of a monster, but I think it will have a good impact and will hopefully attract more people to try MP where they might be too scared before.

Anyway, if anyone has got the time to do a peer review of what I have written so far (the first 3 posts are finished), and give me some feedback on any areas that I have missed, then that would be very much appreciated.

(please note that the subheadings for plugins that I will discuss is a very initial list and I will be adding load more as it develops).

Thanks

Robbo100

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    AVForums have now made the thread a sticky, so that should get some good visability to MP.

I am not an expert when it comes to codecs and I want to make sure the advice I give is correct, If anyone can take a quick look at sections 1.5 and 3.8 and let me know if they are correct, I would really appreciate it.

Also, do Team MediaPortal think that this might be useful as part of the Wiki? If so, I would be happy to port it over when it is complete (minus section 13.3).

Cheers

Rob

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Thanks edterbak!

I might submit it for a thesis when I am finished and get my PhD in MediaPortal! :D

I hope it will make MP more accessible to less confident MCE users who want to try it.

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Dude, that guide is just awesome - I remember the learning curve when I first tried installing MP...

I have a lot more perseverance than a lot of people which is probably what saw me through the initial pain!

Hopefully it enables people to make the leap from XBMC or WMC7 because MP really is the Rolls Royce of media players!

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Thanks psykix,

If you spot any errors or areas for improvements, then please let me know.

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Great piece of work Robbo100 - wish I had this at hand a few years ago!!!!

one comment - in the channel scan section you recommend repeating the scan for all cards DVBS2 cards (last bullet in 4.4.1). I have four in my system and only scan with one then map all channels to the other 3 cards - don't see a benefit to individually scanning with each card, or am I missing something.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country

one comment - in the channel scan section you recommend repeating the scan for all cards DVBS2 cards (last bullet in 4.4.1). I have four in my system and only scan with one then map all channels to the other 3 cards - don't see a benefit to individually scanning with each card, or am I missing something.

Thanks for the comment (I commend you for reading the guide to that detail even when you know how to setup MP already :sleep:)

In essence, you are right, but I wanted to cover all bases. My worry was that a user might have a mix of DVB-S and DVB-S2 cards (and the same for DVB-T / T2) where the user would need to tell MP whether to scan for S2 or not. Or where the user is pointing their DVB-S/S2 tuners at different satellites.

Basically, I was trying to make sure that the advice covered all possible cases without being too complicated and confusing. I thought the compromise of a user spending an extra few minutes running a possibly needless scan was an acceptable one.

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland

Thanks for the comment (I commend you for reading the guide to that detail even when you know how to setup MP already :sleep:)

In essence, you are right, but I wanted to cover all bases. My worry was that a user might have a mix of DVB-S and DVB-S2 cards (and the same for DVB-T / T2) where the user would need to tell MP whether to scan for S2 or not. Or where the user is pointing their DVB-S/S2 tuners at different satellites.

Basically, I was trying to make sure that the advice covered all possible cases without being too complicated and confusing. I thought the compromise of a user spending an extra few minutes running a possibly needless scan was an acceptable one.

Yip see your point - I have built systems for a couple of mates... I will send them your link and hopefully my unofficial helpline will die down a bit. Great work again.

Cheers.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I have sent it to my father for the same reason (sorry dad, if you are reading this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom