[solved] Away mode problem (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Further to the above, no help still failed, TV and AVR resume from standby and Home screen is displayed.:( It is looking like it might be some kind of incompatibility between the CEC Remote plugin and the Win 10 1903 update. I will try and confirm this by updating the working 1809 setup (time consuming) and report back.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Imported the settings from the working setup
    I am glad that you making progress. (y) :)

However, a word of caution. When I finally migrated from Vista to Windows 7, I used the export/import facility to transfer the settings, but my recollection is that not all settings were transferred -- there were a few that I had to set manually after the import. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which settings were involved, and possibly I have imagined all of this anyway. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Following the Win 10 update from 1803 to 1903 the working setup is no longer working but fails as per the OP:mad:. Not sure where to go from here.:confused:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Not sure where to go from here.:confused:
    I think that there are two possibilities:

(1) The problem is caused by an unintentional change from Microsoft, and they will issue a fix in due course.

(2) The problem is caused by an intentional change by Microsoft, and it is up to the applications that are affected to correct their code.

If (1) is the case, you simply(!) need to remain on version 1803 of Windows 10 until such time as the problem is fixed. If you regularly connect your system to the internet, 1803 will probably want to update itself to 1903, so you need to prevent that happening.

I have Windows 10 on another laptop, and it is still running 1607. I think that this is because I enabled the "I am using a metered connection" setting, and that prevents Windows downloading major updates. I am not sure whether it permanently prevents major updates, or merely delays them, but so far it seems to have prevented major updates. I would expect that by now third-party tools are available to prevent major updates.

If (2) is the case, it may be some time before a fix is forthcoming for MP. Sadly, both MP1 and MP2 are desparately short of developers with the skills necessary to maintain and enhance the MP code. :cry:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Fixed it.:D:D

(2) The problem is caused by an intentional change by Microsoft, and it is up to the applications that are affected to correct their code.
    The possibly intentional change that caused this problem was the 1903 update modifying the power plan defaults ("High Performance in my case), specifically the "MultiMedia one shown below which went from "Allow Computer to sleep" (1809) to Prevent idling to sleep (1903)
    am-1.jpg
    Changing this to "Allow......" fixed the problem, TV and AVR remain in standby if HTPC wakes to make a scheduled recording.:)
    My settings in Power Scheduler as highlighted below had always worked OK prior to 1903, disabling that setting and going into the manual configuration and clicking on "Recommended settings" will also change the power plan setting to "Allow.....".
    am-2.jpg

I believe this and other changes (noted in Vid driver settings) from those made by the user is part of a some setup util. introduced with 1903,
    damn nuisance:mad:.

I have Windows 10 on another laptop, and it is still running 1607. I think that this is because I enabled the "I am using a metered connection" setting, and that prevents Windows downloading major updates. I am not sure whether it permanently prevents major updates, or merely delays them, but so far it seems to have prevented major updates. I would expect that by now third-party tools are available to prevent major updates.
    If you have Win 10 pro it is possible (all versions) to stop all auto updates using Group Policy (gpedit.msc), a manual option remains. Also with 1903 MS added options to stop all but the most urgent security updates. I prefer to keep my PCs updated, it can cause problems but I have always been a " If it ain't broke I can improve it" person.;)

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Fixed it.:D:D
    Brilliant! :)

went from "Allow Computer to sleep" (1809) to Prevent idling to sleep (1903)
    Since I first started using WMC 10 years ago, I have always used "Allow computer to enter away mode". Does "Allow computer to sleep" work OK for you? I don't actually know the difference between those two settings, but if it works... :D

If you have Win 10 pro it is possible (all versions) to stop all auto updates using Group Policy
    Unfortunately I have Windows 10 Home on that laptop, and I don't see why I should have to upgrade to Pro in order to obtain a capability that should be part of the base product. :mad:

with 1903 MS added options to stop all but the most urgent security updates.
    Finally Microsoft see sense. :whistle:

If it ain't broke I can improve it
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since I first started using WMC 10 years ago, I have always used "Allow computer to enter away mode". Does "Allow computer to sleep" work OK for you?
    "Allow computer to enter away mode" does not work for me, same problem as with "Prevent............." It has to be "Allow computer to sleep"!

I don't actually know the difference between those two settings, but if it works... :D
    That hits the nail right on the head I believe, seems little or no info. on these and other settings effecting the power plan, also what can be changed and where, i.e. Win 10 Settings vs the resurrected Control Panel, it is a mess imho.:eek:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just as a postscript the problem returned following the installation of the recent Win 10 update KB4505903. The power plan settings have not changed as far as I can tell and the only fix, to date, has been to uninstall the update. Strangely the update is listed as "Additional" and does automatically get downloaded and installed, you have to click on the notification to kick it off. According to MS it fixes, among other things, several issues with standby/sleep.:rolleyes:.
    I need to do further testing but if confirmed I will post again here and look for a fix in the MS forum.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    According to MS it fixes, among other things, several issues with standby/sleep.:rolleyes:.
    Perhaps it makes "Allow the computer to enter away mode" to work as it it supposed to. :eek:

Although the other setting has worked for you for the past few weeks, that may have been a side effect of the bad Windows update that probably occurred some weeks ago. I would try reverting the setting to "Allow the computer to enter away mode" to see if that now works correctly.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Perhaps it makes "Allow the computer to enter away mode" to work as it it supposed to. :eek:
    Nice thought but unfortunately it made no difference.
    As a double check I reinstalled the suspect update but now it is no longer failing.:confused:
    I'll keep an eye on it.:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom