Back to weekly public SVNs? (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I couldn't find the appropriate forum to post this, but I would like to share the feeling I have about the MediaPortal developement process in general. I would ask the moderator to move this thread to more appropriate forum instead of deleting it.

I think that for MediaPortal the way it is developed, it would be better just to switch to SVNs only. Mediaportal is not a retail product. No deadlines, no sales, no warranty, no official customer service, but realy a lot of fun suggesting and trying new ideas, reporting the bugs! For me this became a normal part of my life. I think whoever want a rock stable but not very flexible product do not use MediaPortal, they go for Microsoft Widnows Media Center. I would be surprised if too many people still use "stable" MediaPortal 1.1.3. I think most of us prefer to take chances and play with a little buggy, but so sweet 1.2.0 RC instead!

I would suggest to switch from major versions and internal team SVNs to weekly public SVNs. I personally don't care if it is 1.2.0 or SVN1234567as long as it is usable and documented. In the real life, every new version, even 1.2.0 RC which is supposed to be almost bug free contains bugs in places where the bugs did not exist. I remember the time of 1.1.x when we all had access to weekly SVNs - it was a lot of fun. We all could live with minor bug shifts, any major showstopper caused a lot of scream and the fix was ready within a few hours. I don't see a problem with this. Do you??

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi greybox

Some people will feel the same way as you while others definitely prefer the stability. There are many people still using 1.1.x. People that need new features have more cause to live on the bleeding edge, so to speak. Of course, for the ultimate freedom you could learn to download and build the source yourself - VS 2010 express is free, and as long as you're not using a 64 bit W7 it should be relatively easy to compile the C# code. ;)

mm

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I would be surprised if too many people still use "stable" MediaPortal 1.1.3. I think most of us prefer to take chances and play with a little buggy, but so sweet 1.2.0 RC instead!

Be amused! I still run 1.1.3 on living room. Stability and playback quality are the most important things that matters for me. Also if the HTPC wouldn't be stanle in living room there wouldn't be any time to do actual development or probably even no need for such since the MP would be quickly replaced something else that would work.

I would suggest to switch from major versions and internal team SVNs to weekly public SVNs. I personally don't care if it is 1.2.0 or SVN1234567as long as it is usable and documented. In the real life, every new version, even 1.2.0 RC which is supposed to be almost bug free contains bugs in places where the bugs did not exist. I remember the time of 1.1.x when we all had access to weekly SVNs - it was a lot of fun. We all could live with minor bug shifts, any major showstopper caused a lot of scream and the fix was ready within a few hours. I don't see a problem with this. Do you??

I don't see anything else than trouble with providing constantly broken builds to the public. If someone wants to live in bleeding edge in the living room then he/she is adviced to build the MP from sources by her/himself.

In the development after 1.2.0 there will be quite big change to the development process - just fetch the GIT master and build it. In theory it will be more stable than the "SVN" builds since new features and fixes are developend in a separate branches.

MEDIAPORTAL - Development Changes for MediaPortal 1

There will be test builds (feature specific) depending how the developer sees a need for such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom