Bad EPG from grabber (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Neill

September 6, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys,

New install.
My EPG grabber runs very slow and looks like it's timing out or something.
I get EPG for just the next couple of programmes or nothing.
How long should it take?

When I watch it grabbing using the manual window, it seems to take a lot of time per channel and there are big gaps between each.
I have only a few channels selected for store, invariant and English languages selected.
EPG seems to work fine if I plug the same wire into my smart tv and of course it's perfect on the sky box it has spent the last 11 years attached to.
I'm currently a SKY subscriber but have cancelled.
Using the same wires from that and tuned to Astra ( I'm UK ).
EPG grabber is enabled on both receiver thingummies.
This is installed on just one pc.
I have a DVBSky S952 PCIe card.

The progress bars in the program viewer do not fill - any moving progress so slowly you can only tell when they start from nothing.
I don't think most of them are progressing at all.
When I switch between all channels and digital satellite in the tv guide I often end up with everything blank.

My plan was to use one cable in the pc card just to record and the other directly into the smart tv so the missus can easily turn one thing on and watch live tv.
Recording is the entire purpose of installing media portal and it is totally impractical without full epg.

Also.
When I boot up, the service monitor in the tray is always red and I have to manually start the service or I get a socket error when starting the front end.

Any ideas?

Andrew O'Neill

September 6, 2016
Home Country
I've been experimenting again today.
I added programdata and the root for the apps to windows defender exclusions in the hope that'd maybe make a difference.
It didn't improve things.
When I watch it grabbing in the manual win, I see the name of one channel appear and it stays up for around a minute. It then stops on that channel and goes idle.
The epg data is presumably written to a database.
Where is it and how would I see what's been written?
Is there a different epg grabber I could try?
Had a go with the web grabber. That doesn't seem to work so well neither.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Andrew,

We will generally need debug level logs of your system in order to comment. Notwithstanding EPG data is a recurring subject in the forum and you will find a big number of threads around this subject.

I conclude from your profile that you are located in the UK. I recall a couple of threads with full solutions how to gather British EPG data from one channel to provide the full bouquet information - not sure if it was BBC or something else.

Have you tried the search function? An search engine is also referencing this forum, so it might be easier to just use Google or Bing.

Andrew O'Neill

September 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did search first and followed some advice on settings.
    No joy.
    The server log seems to hold data about epg grabbing.
    I've attached a copy of one.

Yes, I'm in the UK ( I mentioned that in my first post ).
    I found some quite old references to using radio times data and an xml feed.
    I'll look into that.

Is this thing .Net?
    I'm a .Net developer.
    I've not got vs2015 installed on this machine but if I did is there some source I could use to debug grabbing?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I found some quite old references to using radio times data and an xml feed.
    I believe that that was discontinued recently (there is a MediaPortal thread about that, too!).

I use DVB-T/T2, and have no experience of satellite. But I believe that there is a satellite radio channel that transmits the satellite EPG for radio and TV. So I think that you need to ensure that that channel is included in the set of channels that you are receiving. The channel name should indicate what it is, so have a look to see what radio channels are available to you.

The satellite EPG may not cover all of the free-to-air channels that you can receive, and it may not be up to the same standard as the EPG that you used previously with Sky. But the first order of the day is to get something working!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

Andrew O'Neill

September 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Ah yes, no channels from the radio times xml tv gui when you grab :((

I'll take a look at the radio channels, I don't think I included any of them.
    Sounds like a good tip though.
    Thanks.

Maybe the lg tv is getting epg some other way. I stuck the wire in the back of it and it just worked straight off.
    Then I tried media portal...
    --- Post updated ---
    The channel to look for is called "Freesat Info" and it's a RADIO channel.
    When I include that, I get good EPG.

Thanks CyberSimian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom