Bad quality posters? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by deebo, September 7, 2008.

1. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I just checked all 6 Star Wars movies and all 5 Saw movies on impawards.com and they were all correct...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Darre

Darre Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Well then I guess he'll have to let us know where he finds the trouble we can't seem to find :)

Any ETA on next release fforde? Soon ive fixed every one of my movies with all info and covers =) Just some small details left, dunno how many hours ive spent today fixing over at movie-xml, I search and then do something else for 5 min while it loads -_-

4. fforde

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    I'll try to get it out this coming weekend. The scraper is functional and I have the IMDb scraper partially built, but I want to change a few things for flexibility and usability.

5. deebo

deebo Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    i meant that you get wrong hits with certain searh phrases

like searhing for "saw" results in the first hit being "Saw V Poster"

'saw' is the 6th hit

and each of these hits contain 1-n posters too, these "false positives" might be hard to deal with, thats why movie-xml would be optimal if they just allowed better quality posters

6. fforde

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    That sounds to me like a problem with the scraper you were using. There actually is no search function for impawards, they just have an integrated google search that scans their site. The scraper I am putting together does not use this, it uses the movie's title and year as input. It will work well you will see, and if you don't want to use it, you will be able to turn it off.

7. Darre

Darre Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Movie-xml doesnt have that much bandwidth, but if you're rich and send zag2me a lot of money you could solve that ;)

8. zag2me

zag2me Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Ahh a topic close to my heart :)

We had a big discussion on the meedios forums about this when I first built the site. Users cried that they wanted Hi res 2000 pixel images on the site. Technically it isn't actually a problem but the question was asked _why_ do we need them.

Lets take a 1080p display. That's 1920 pixels wide maximum if you use widescreen. Now remember that the cover will only ever take up about a third of the screen as people will have movie information and menu items using the rest. Then I wanted the maximum resolution to be slightly different than impawards so people did not simply copy their graphics from site to site.

I did a load of tests and 419 pixels seemed to be about the sweet point for good quality covers on HDTV displays.

FYI Impawards is usually around 500 pixels wide. Nice covers is around 570 pixels wide.

Here is an example of a movie-xml cover

[​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!