Bad quality posters? (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just checked all 6 Star Wars movies and all 5 Saw movies on impawards.com and they were all correct...

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Well then I guess he'll have to let us know where he finds the trouble we can't seem to find :)

Any ETA on next release fforde? Soon ive fixed every one of my movies with all info and covers =) Just some small details left, dunno how many hours ive spent today fixing over at movie-xml, I search and then do something else for 5 min while it loads -_-

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
I'll try to get it out this coming weekend. The scraper is functional and I have the IMDb scraper partially built, but I want to change a few things for flexibility and usability.

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
i meant that you get wrong hits with certain searh phrases

like searhing for "saw" results in the first hit being "Saw V Poster"

'saw' is the 6th hit

and each of these hits contain 1-n posters too, these "false positives" might be hard to deal with, thats why movie-xml would be optimal if they just allowed better quality posters

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
That sounds to me like a problem with the scraper you were using. There actually is no search function for impawards, they just have an integrated google search that scans their site. The scraper I am putting together does not use this, it uses the movie's title and year as input. It will work well you will see, and if you don't want to use it, you will be able to turn it off.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
i meant that you get wrong hits with certain searh phrases

like searhing for "saw" results in the first hit being "Saw V Poster"

'saw' is the 6th hit

and each of these hits contain 1-n posters too, these "false positives" might be hard to deal with, thats why movie-xml would be optimal if they just allowed better quality posters

Movie-xml doesnt have that much bandwidth, but if you're rich and send zag2me a lot of money you could solve that ;)

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
Ahh a topic close to my heart :)

We had a big discussion on the meedios forums about this when I first built the site. Users cried that they wanted Hi res 2000 pixel images on the site. Technically it isn't actually a problem but the question was asked _why_ do we need them.

Lets take a 1080p display. That's 1920 pixels wide maximum if you use widescreen. Now remember that the cover will only ever take up about a third of the screen as people will have movie information and menu items using the rest. Then I wanted the maximum resolution to be slightly different than impawards so people did not simply copy their graphics from site to site.

I did a load of tests and 419 pixels seemed to be about the sweet point for good quality covers on HDTV displays.

FYI Impawards is usually around 500 pixels wide. Nice covers is around 570 pixels wide.

Here is an example of a movie-xml cover

364633-g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom