BASS player does not reinitialize sound device (1 Viewer)

gonzo21

Portal Pro
April 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
hey guys,

just collected the logs for the whole procedure with debugging enabled.

I did the following
1) start mp with debug option
2) start playing music track - everything plays fine
3) turned off lcd
4) turned on lcd
5) tried to start playing music tracks - BASS unknown error
6) listen to radio through dvb-s-card - plays fine
7) start playing music track again - everything plays fine

I think, this procedure is clearly explained (and hopefully reproducable for other guys than me) so that one of you dev guys can have a look at it.

so far thx in advance!

p.s. I will try the pure-audio plugin that mba proposed in some seconds and post the result

gonzo21

Portal Pro
April 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
just checked the pure audio plugin. as mba explained, music works great even after powering off an on the lcd. As well, the indernal dshow-player works in this scenario. So its only BASS that has some issues (for me).

So if I'm not the only only one facing this issue (because of my local setup/hardware), should I file a bug report?

gonzo21

Portal Pro
April 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
just checked the pure audio plugin. as mba explained, music works great even after powering off an on the lcd. As well, the indernal dshow-player works in this scenario. So its only BASS that has some issues (for me).

So if I'm not the only only one facing this issue (because of my local setup/hardware), should I file a bug report?

seems to be that mba and me are the only ones with this problem? hm, so I'm going to live with it using the pure audio plugin.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The problem is that i need to de-init BASS, because we had problems once with other players. I think ot was TV related.

Pure Audio is not doing that.
    Seems that those issues, which led me to make a de-init, are no longer there.
    The problem is that it could introduce a problem again, if i remove the de-init.

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hm, I don't think the de-init is the problem.

look at my error logs and you'll see, that everything works fine, if BASS gets de-inited (for example when playing back radio). Cause BASS knows to init the device if it is not already there (first time use or previously de-init), it gets the new handle and plays back just fine.

For example if I start mediaportal, watch tv (not listening to music!), turn off the lcd and turn in on again, I can directly listen to music via BASS. Thats because during this mediaportal session, it's the first time use of BASS and BASS correctly initializes its handle for playback.

The problem comes up because turning off the lcd apperentely kills the existing handle for BASS and the handle cannot be used directly after turning on the lcd again (at least for my hardware/setup). So I think you (or better I :) ) need an additional if-clause to check whether the handle is still valid before starting playback. If it is not, just do a de-init and re-init.

what do you think about it?

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    oh, that would be cool.
    right now I am using the 1.1.2 final. I think the svn is installable and updates my actual installation, right? if not, 2 more words (or a good link) would be nice. I assume, that I can then easily install any version, you'll provide for me.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi hwahrmann did you get the testbuild tested and did it fix the problems? If you are worrying about regressions in the code, couldn't the fix be made optional?

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom