BBC Red Button Service (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone in the UK worked out how - or even whether it's possible to - get the BBC Red Button channel working in MP? I know that this functionality as it works in Sky or other satellite receivers is not going to be implemented, but I had thought it should be possible to "see" the specific satellite stream that is used and just create a new channel, give it the published tuning details and call it Red Button. Then I should be able to tune to it just like any other channel in the group.

However, I can't get this to work and have no idea why. Using TV Server to perform a specific single transponder scan using the details provided continually gets me no signal detected, and I can't see a way in which to manually assign the the published tuning details to a specific card to try it that way.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi,

It's working for me here using the settings in the screenshot below. You should be able to add individual channels using TV Server Config -> TV Channels -> Add
    Capture.PNG

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Many thanks for the time taken to reply. Unfortunately, it still won't work for me, I very, very carefully checked the details (got the channel mapped to a card this time) and still no signal detected. I even tried - again - a single transponder scan using that frequency and modulation. Same response from TVServer, no signal detected.

However, at least I now know that it should work, I'll just have to keep looking for something odd about my setup.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @wjw
    Post log files if you want help with figuring out why TV Server gets no signal.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    @mm1352000,,
    Hi, and many thanks for the offer to help.

This morning - of course - things are different! I have changed nothing since yesterday's failure.

I attach a screenshot of my settings as well as a log file of a session earlier when I tried to recreate the problem. This morning the card tuned perfectly to that transponder. So now I don't get the "no signal detected" message when I tried to preview the channel - instead I get "unknown error".

I look forward to your analysis.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      45.9 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again :)

First thing: please change the modulation value for that channel to "not set". That is the value that should be used for DVB-S QPSK transponders.

Second thing: please ensure that none of the LNB override settings are blank.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ning_Details#Override_default_LNB_frequencies

I suspect you fiddled with those settings at some point and later disabled them. You shouldn't need those settings, and therefore you should disable them. However, they must still have values. All zeroes are fine.

Fixing the second problem should fix the unknown error. If you're still unable to tune the channel after applying both fixes then I'll need another fresh log file.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, still get the "unknown error". Attached is a screenshot of the tuning details and a fresh log. I'm sure you're right about having fiddled with the override settings at some point, but I did a retune after explicitly setting all the values to zero and then disabling that function before creating the current log.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      39.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, looks like the settings haven't stuck.
    Please restart the TV service, make sure that the settings have been applied (by checking the satellite scan section), then try to tune the channel again.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Fixed! I stopped/restarted the TV service, did a single transponder scan with LNB override enabled and settings all at zero, got nothing, then disabled the override and redid the single transponder scan - successfully. The channel is now viewable.

Once again you've worked your magic from afar. Downside is I really now must go out and do some gardening!

Many, many thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for reporting back. I'm happy to be able to have assisted. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom