Beginners guide to Mediaportal Codecs and what to use. (1 Viewer)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
you have the same amp as me, how are you finding the amp in general? it doesn't decode DTS HD, TRUE HD format and so you wont be able to bitstream those audio tracks (you may know this already), but you can DTS and DD. I use lav filters as well and in the lav filters, lav audio configuration, you can tick which audio you wish to bitstream. I tend not too listen to the hd audio in any way and will update my amp in a few months to support the HD audio content, you can set the MPAR to do this but I haven`t tinkered with that as of yet with any success.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wiki Setup Guides
    Wiki LAV Configuration

you have the same amp as me, how are you finding the amp in general? it doesn't decode DTS HD, TRUE HD format and so you wont be able to bitstream those audio tracks (you may know this already), but you can DTS and DD.
    Then don't use the bitstreaming option, and send untouched PCM through HDMI to the AMP and still enjoy HD Audio on your amp ;)

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    you have mentioned this to me before and i must look into it more as last time i looked i had little time and got confused lol

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    ok i tried this before and got audio stutter, just setup again and now it works? i must have missed something last time around, just checked 4 films with True HD and DTS HD and all sent as PCM to amp and no stutter etc, screen shots to follow but for now thanks again (y)

settings for hd.JPG settings for hd mpar.JPG

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Powermarcel, Sorry - looks like I wrote my reply above at the same time as you. So you think I should just leave LAV for everything?

Offcourse you can play with different codecs to see wich one is running the best on your system, but be carefull with installing a lot of different codec packs as they are hard to uninstall and it's not good to install different codecpacks at the same time as they can give you troubles.. (I have read that on many different places)

I'm using LAV for audio and video for all possible sections..

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for all that guys. I had a mess around with setting everything to LAV as suggested and everything is working really smoothly now.

Atomic741 - I am glad I have found someone with the same amp on here. It seems pretty good but I am not sure that I am getting the best out of it with all the settings, both on the amp itself and in mediaportal. Could I possibly ask what settings you currently have?

Homey - could you possibly clarify what you meant by:

"Then don't use the bitstreaming option, and send untouched PCM through HDMI to the AMP and still enjoy HD Audio on your amp"

Although I am a long time PC tinkerer, I really do not know too much about audio/video. Am I correct in thinking that PCM is where the PC would decode the audio and sends it to the amp for distribution whereas bitstreaming is where the raw audio is sent to the amp which then does both the decoding and distribution?

If so, why is it important where the actual decoding happens?

One other quick thing - I did read that Mediaportal Audio Renderer is recommended in the Codec section. What is this, exactly, and do I need it?

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for all that guys. I had a mess around with setting everything to LAV as suggested and everything is working really smoothly now.

Atomic741 - I am glad I have found someone with the same amp on here. It seems pretty good but I am not sure that I am getting the best out of it with all the settings, both on the amp itself and in mediaportal. Could I possibly ask what settings you currently have?

Did you use the setup YPAO mike that came with the AMP, as it sets up the speaker settings as it thinks is right, you may play with this but until your happy with the basics of the AMP it may be best to see what it sounds like once you have run auto setup.
    On the Amp whilst watching a movie i press `straight` button on the remote which then mean no extra synthetic distribution of the sound on the Amp, so when the audio is sent via mediaportal to the Amp using the Mediaportal Audio Renderer, the sound is as was intended by the film makers.

"Then don't use the bitstreaming option, and send untouched PCM through HDMI to the AMP and still enjoy HD Audio on your amp"

Although I am a long time PC tinkerer, I really do not know too much about audio/video. Am I correct in thinking that PCM is where the PC would decode the audio and sends it to the amp for distribution whereas bitstreaming is where the raw audio is sent to the amp which then does both the decoding and distribution?

PCM is where the audio is decoded by Lav filters and then, MediaPortal audio renderer sends the stream to the Amp untouched, so the AMP does not have to do any of the work decoding, and just outputs what it receives from the source providing it, ie Mediaportal.
    This then means that we (me and you, plus others) can have the quality of HD audio on an Amp, that otherwise would not be able to decode and play.

If so, why is it important where the actual decoding happens?

The importance of the Mediaportal Audio Renderer doing the task means it can help get rid of some stutters seen by some users when using other filters/programs to decode the audio streams.

One other quick thing - I did read that Mediaportal Audio Renderer is recommended in the Codec section. What is this, exactly, and do I need it?

Its becoming recommended for the reasons i stated above, there is probably more but i have only just learnt this myself.

Thanks again for all your help.

If i have any of this wrong please feel free to chime in as i am learning too.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Am I correct in thinking that PCM is where the PC would decode the audio and sends it to the amp for distribution whereas bitstreaming is where the raw audio is sent to the amp which then does both the decoding and distribution?
    Yes, you that's correct.

Besides the above info from Atomic7431, this is probably an interesting link for you also:
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376533/faq-on-bitstream-passthrough-reclock

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom