Best value Design? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I have an old PC I built : Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512MB PC2100 RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, GeForce 2 AGP 64MB RAM with SVideo Out, SoundBlaster Live, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Fireware card. I would like to replace my TiVo and stop paying the monthly fee (and get all the extras of MP).

I am planning on upgrading the CPU to at least Athlon XP+ CPU (the Asus K7M266 MB can only go up to XP+ 2100) and picking up a capture card. I am also looking for HDs going on sale.

What is the real benefit of going from the Hauppauge 150MCE to the 250? Pricewise, I can get one 250 or two 150s. Why would I not go with two 150s?

Am I missing anything on the hardware side?

Can I build a VIA EPIA box to use as a set-top box and pull the content across the network from the MP PC in the home office?

Thanks for your advice!

A

Anonymous

I believe that the 150 is the replacement for the 250. Almost identical chips also i think. Correct me if i am wrong but i believe that this is the case.

A

Anonymous

So they won't sell the 250 anymore? Because when it's the same, who would by a 250 PVR for double the price?!

A

Anonymous

Maybe I am thinking the 350. Which one is it that has the hardware decoder, the 350?

A

Anonymous

I can get the WINTV-PVR 150 MCE for $65 delivered. I can't get the 250 for under $127.

A

Anonymous

Might want to consider the PVR-500 as well. It comes with two tuners on one card. The PVR-500 is $160 at PC Alchemy. The PVR-250 is $100, the PVR-150 MCE (with remote) is $100 and the PVR-150 (w/o remote) is $70. They all have hardware decoders.

I chose the 350 because of the extra video output and the remote. I made that purchase before the price on the 150 dropped and the 500 was released. If I bought today I'd probably buy the 500. With only three PCI slots on a MB, every slot counts.

Where can you get the PVR-150 MCE for $65? I'm assuming that's with a remote.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I have been lurking for about a week now. I am at a similar place with some very similar hardware - bigger hard drive though. :D

I have four PCs to work with ... well, 3 actually. I bought my wife a Dell Dimension 2400 refurb a year ago and it is "off limits" to everyone else in the family. She wants a PC that she sits down and it just works, so the kids and I leave it alone.

That gives me an old IBM Pentium II 550, an old eMachine Celeron 466, and a home built with an Athlon thunderbird. I am going to pull all the cases open, do an inventory of parts, and make a shopping list.

The one question I am still looking to answer: If I get a video card with both hardware encode *and* decode, can I use a lower CPU? If so, how much lower?

Also, what sites are good places to read and learn about building quiet PCs?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

rien-ne-va-plus said:
no, every MCE version shouldn't have a remote, as it is assumed by hauppauge that u are using the MCE remote, so the MCE are w/o remote, the others with

After further research, I'm not sure MCE has anything to with a remote included or not. I've found MCE configs from US retailers both with and without remotes. Who knew?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom