[Music] Better sound quality with WASAPI (2 Viewers)

mr.duck

Portal Member
December 31, 2008
An option to use WASAPI output in windows vista, along with disabling all digital processing such as volume control (digital volume control is bad, you loose resolution). The point of this is for bit perfect output for some seriously good music playback.

Also a quality resampler would be good. SoX is open source and it's resampling quality is 1st rate... SoX - Sound eXchange | Resampling.

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
YES!!! +1

This would be awsome.
If I understand it correctly; WASAPI would enable in-build propper playback of Super Audio CD's (I have a couple). Also raw DTS/CUE/WAV files with 32 till 192khz will be playable (in theory and if supported by soundcard) and sent directly, as is, to the receiver. All of this WITHOUT silly windows touching it. :D

mr.duck

Portal Member
December 31, 2008
If I understand it correctly; WASAPI would enable in-build propper playback of Super Audio CD's (I have a couple).

Unfortunately, SACD is encoded with a DSD stream not PCM. To be able to play it you would need to modify a special SACD capable player to tap the digital data stream. Once you do that, you can convert it into a PCM file with minimal sound quality loss. They don't make it easy do they?

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
If I understand it correctly; WASAPI would enable in-build propper playback of Super Audio CD's (I have a couple).

Unfortunately, SACD is encoded with a DSD stream not PCM. To be able to play it you would need to modify a special SACD capable player to tap the digital data stream. Once you do that, you can convert it into a PCM file with minimal sound quality loss. They don't make it easy do they?
Getting off topic a bit... But its probably informative for anyone interested.

I didnt know that.. :) thanks for the explenation.
Question: I have a Yamaha receiver which can decode DTS(44.1/48khz) and is capable of handling 32/192khz inputs (pcm). Is it still needed to encode this DSD stream to make it usable for the receiver? (Is DSD something else than DTS? Something phillips/sony made?)

Regards.

mr.duck

Portal Member
December 31, 2008
Yeah DSD as found on SACD is nothing like 24bit 192KHz. DSD is only 1 bit but very high freq like >2MHz. The DAC chips inside a SACD player that convert this data to audio might have a DSD input, but if they do I believe they need to convert it to regular PCM internally (like 24bit 192KHz), before it can produce the analog audio.

The Yamaha receiver will need the DSD data to be converted into PCM to be able to decode it. You can send the PCM data over spdif to the receiver. DSD has nothing to do with DTS, that is somthing else completely.

diablosv

Portal Member
November 1, 2008
Home Country
Just wanted to add my interest in WASAPI support as I have just started using it in foobar and I swear it sounds better than ASIO, since it is a Vista feature it should work with all soundcards that have a Vista driver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom