Bizarre command repeat issue (1 Viewer)

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
I don't want to get too a head of myself again but I think the error has stopped... Using standard home (not basic home) I can now fly through the menus, backwards and forwards, watch a show, back to menus and so on without the error.

I will keep you posted as to how it's going but it does appear my error was the same as the thread I linked to above. I hope yours is the same issue so you too can have some form of a resolution to this error.

Good luck. :)

fujistick

Portal Member
January 18, 2008
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm having the same or similar problem as you guys.

I have the following setup:

• iMON LCD built into the Thermaltake DH-101 case
  • iMON Firmware ver 0x3801 LCD OEM HID (which appears to be one of the first versions that doesn't work with IR Server Suite :()
  • iMON Manager ver 6.20.0830 (Thermaltake)
  • Logitech Harmony One remote configured as a SoundGraph iMon Pad Remote Controller
  • MediaPortal 1.0 final
  • Default Blue3wide skin - I don't have or have ever used, the SteamedMP skin (though it does look pretty good now that I've looked up the screenshots)
  • ShortCut'er Plugin (I'd prefer to use the IR Server Suite, but as mentioned above, it doesn't work)
  • I do have Moving Pictures installed now, but the issue was existing before this.
  • I don't have TVSeries yet (will install in the future when I get time)
  • I use the standard home screen and rarely use the basic home screen
  • I have the MiniDisplay plugin enabled using Type: SoundGraph iMON USB VFD/LCD Plugin V12_01_2008

Similar to what you've described in previous posts, I have the problem where sometimes (not always) when i press a button on the remote, it appears to get stuck repeating the same command i.e. behaves exactly the same as holding down a key on the keyboard. As you've mentioned in the first post, it is not the harmony remote repeatedly sending IR commands as it is still repeating after blocking the remotes transmitter.

For me, this happens most often with the OK and Prev buttons on the harmony which are mapped to the Enter and Escape buttons on the iMon Pad remote. Basically the same behaviour as if you were to hold down the Enter or Esc key on the keyboard. The problem occurs evenly in all areas/plugin screens of MediaPortal, i.e. there is no particular plugin that it only occurs in. One thing that I have found, is that once a button gets "stuck", if you press the same button again on the remote, it stops the repeating. (until it gets stuck again later after a couple more button presses)

To me, this doesn't look like a MediaPortal problem, as (like you mentioned) once a key gets "stuck" you can close MP and the key is still stuck repeating. e.g. If it's stuck repeating Escape you'll see it close the Start menu every time you try to open it. If it's a letter or similar that's stuck, press WindowsKey+R to bring up the Run dialog box and you can see it typing repeatedly.

I think it's either the harmony remote not sending the iMON Pad IR commands properly, or a iMON firmware or software problem. Actually, just thinking now, I've got the MediaPortal MiniDisplay plugin enabled for the iMON LCD. I've just disabled this to eliminate any potential problems there. Will let you know how that goes.

Ok, now for some possible solutions. I did some googling a while back and found this:

IMON VFD repeat and general control issue - Harmony Remotes - Programming - Logitech Forums

It's possibly not exactly the same problem, but the response from the logitech dude was very interesting. Basically the logitech staff went into his/her account and "changed the command from a hold action to a press action." The original poster hasn't replied to confirm whether or not this fixed the problem. This looks like something that's worth a shot, but I haven't had time to ask and try it yet.

stevie_j_b

Portal Member
February 3, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks Fujistick, good to see others chipping in!

You have exactly (even to the extent of seeing the main trouble with the enter/escape commands) the same problem as me, and the fault finding matches mine exactly. I had even stumbled across that Logitech post before.

I'm going to try a few things on the Harmony side, and I have a couple of things I want to change in iMon, but if that fails I'll be giving the nice folks in Canada a call!

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
Hi there to both of you... Nice to find someone else with the same issue (bad for you, but confirms it for us).

I'm going to mention something that may be a little taboo here... I have installed XBMC with MediaStream (both out of frsutration and as a test). My aim is to hopefully recreate the same issue in XBMC and if so, that almost certainly confirms the error is at the remote end (either logitech or iMon).

I will continue playing with it and try to get some action. I will also go through that process of getting Logitech to change my click settings as I really want to return to Media Portal. XBMC seems to work amazingly similar to MP but MP is much easier to configure and far more light weight.

I will keep you posted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, just to keep you posted... I have created a thread at the Logitech Forum to request the same action as shown in the thread provided by fujistick.

I figured even if that is not the problem, I would like my buttons to be set to clicks and not holds anyway, I am confused as to why there wouldn't be a setting for that in the Logitech settings manager in the first plass though I am not bad mouthing the Logitech Harmony One, I stand by the fact that it is among the best purchases I have ever made... I'll ditch MP before ditching my Harmony One. :D

Make a bookmark to this thread Harmony remote & iMon seems to double click - Harmony Remotes - Programming - Logitech Forums so you can keep an eye on the situation, I will write back here with any updates so others can find a way to fix the issue as well (if successfull).

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
Ok... Latest update (sadly only took me 5 minutes to work out)... It is certainly an issue with Logitech or IMON. I set up XBMC with my remote and it did exactly the same error there too so I think we can rule out a Media Portal issue in general (MP or Skins).

Part of me is happy with this because Media Portal is far better than XBMC in just about every way.

I will let you know what response I get from Logitech support.

Looking forward to hearing about your work with IMON (as mentioned by stevie_j_b in the second last post).

At least we are narrowing this down... :confused:

stevie_j_b

Portal Member
February 3, 2009
Home Country
I had also contacted customer services before I came back on here to see you'd done the same, and based on your Logitech support forum thread, I see some others have exactly the same problem. Let's see where this one takes us.

In terms of further work, I spent last night remapping the remote codes manually (to no effect), altering the device from the Soundgraph to various other HTPC cases with the Soundgraph device (to no effect), and working through a multitude of different iMon variants including the Antec website-based driver (~6.0), 7.01, 7.2, and finally 7.4 again - surprisingly, to no effect. I removed minidisplay, the older cybrdisplay, and even crossed my fingers. Both hands. Sadly, to no effect.

So yep. I think we've categorically determined it's purely a Harmony problem, and now we are spamming the MediaPortal forums with our unrelated waffle. Sorry moderators, I hope you'll let us continue :)

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
Too true... A big apology to the MP Moderators from me too, I'm sure you can understand our frustration... We at least have a little support group going. ;)

By the way stevie_j_b, thanks for the chuckle your final message gave me on the Logitech forum.

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
Just out of curiosity guys, has anyone tried just using the IMON remote? Taking the Logitech Harmony out of the equation? I will give this a try tonight (if successful that will almost certainly mean there is an issue between Logitech and IMON's drivers.

On a side note, reading the latest post from another person experiencing the same issues on the Logitech Forum (link above) I am concerned at the level of support that may be offered by Logitech on the mater. As much as I love my Harmony One, if Logitech Support tell me to change IR receivers (remove IMON) I will be returning my Harmony One on the grounds of a factory defect (their list says it works with Soundgraph and thus far it does not).

If you guys get any poor results from the Logitech Support regarding this mater I strongly suggest you mention the same thing, together we can break them down... :D

Sorry again to the MP moderators, this has simply become a meeting place for MP users, using IMON and Logitech to unite and try to get this resolved.

:sorry:

stevie_j_b

Portal Member
February 3, 2009
Home Country
Hi,

Yes, I've tried the iMon remote and it works fine. I used that prior to getting my Harmony One, and I had no problems. Everything works as expected, and in keyboard mode I cannot get MP to crash and burn like I can very easily with the Harmony.

I've recieved no reply yet to my email, so I'll give it a few more days before ringing.

mobius1980

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
That's great news again (not great but I'm sure you know what I mean)... At least if the original iMon remote works properly we can explain to Logitech that it is there remote's communication with the receiver that is the problem.

Narrowing this down slowly... Fingers crossed Logitech join the party.

I just got a PM from another guy on the Logitech forums that has had the same problem, it sounds like he may have some form of a fix but it went straight over my head. I have pasted it below for you all to take a look at. If it rings any bells, please explain it to me. I am getting better with this stuff since detecting this problem but I am still a beginner really.

Hi,

I recently joined MP-forum and my account is not yet activated - so no posting allowed. Therefore PM:

I tried the the original remote (Thermaltake in my case) and it WORKS! (quite good). What I did in testing was to redefine all commands as far as possible (not all windows commands) to simple letter keystrokes directed to NOTEPAD.EXE. So I learned their mis-behavior.

Currently I'm waiting for my 16th modification of MultiMediaPC\Silverstone\LC-16M command set, which works for roughly the half of the 68 commands of my remote (iMON Pad) and it's rather boring to wait for Harmony support.

I would be rather satisfied with my H555 too, if it were not for this centralized and extremly dumb software which hinders me to configure this crippled device on my own.

Greetings from Austria
Purgatorio

This PM was from Purgatorio (member on MP forums).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom