[solved] Black screen on client (1 Viewer)

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Tv was running on a client, then windows 10 did a forced update. Now I have a black screen and partial freeze on that machine when I tune any channel.

TV works just fine on the server. I think when this first happened, TV server stopped running, but it doesn't apper to do that any more.

I have uninstalled and fresh installed on both machines.

Logs for both client and server attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Chris

It looks like some kind of streaming issue. I'm not sure specifically what's wrong, but it might be something related to the network connection.

If I were you I'd:
    1. Check network and security software configuration on both client and server.
    2. Fix your TV codec configuration on the client. Your video codec settings are fine, but the TV ones are completely unset/blank.

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hi nm,

Thanks for your help.

I checked and re-initialised all of my network gear.

MP is in the list for the firewall on both machines, and the test connection works for both.

I think that probably rules out network issues (although I do have a new BT home hub, which is a bit of a random element).

The codecs are all set to LAV in config. If the log says otherwise, maybe something has gone wrong in this area, but on a clean installation, still the same? Seems odd.

Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think that probably rules out network issues (although I do have a new BT home hub, which is a bit of a random element).
    I have no idea what a BT home hub is or does, but if a problem starts after something new is introduced or a change is applied then it is reasonable to suspect that the problem is caused by the new thing or change. ;)

The codecs are all set to LAV in config. If the log says otherwise, maybe something has gone wrong in this area, but on a clean installation, still the same? Seems odd.
    So many people seem to get tripped up by this. <sigh>
    LAV codecs are the defaults. However, the settings are not saved until you actually visit that section in configuration. In other words, before you visit that section, there are no settings; when you visit that section, LAV options will show as selected (because they are defaults... not because those settings are saved); the settings are only saved after you leave that section.

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    OK, well the defaults were applied when I saw this in the settings, and the problem persists. So this is not the problem.

The home hub is a router which acts as the first line of switches in my network (being connected to both the fibre internet inlet and the server).

I can take this out of the loop as a temporoary measure, but it appears to be fiunctioning correctly. Its firewall is outwardly pointed anyway, so shouldn't have any impact on local traffic.

The issue occurred after an update force closed te client's MP while TV was streaming.

I will have a go with a different swicth in place tomorrow, but I have my doubts that this is the problem, as the issue occurred with no changes to my network setup.

Thanks,
    Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, well the defaults were applied when I saw this in the settings, and the problem persists. So this is not the problem.
    Agreed.

The home hub is a router...
    Okay. The way you describe it, I agree this is unlikely to be the cause. However, something really funky is happening. It is like TsReader on the client is able to connect to the server, but it doesn't get video/audio stream info. That's why I mentioned networking as a possibility.

The issue occurred after an update force closed te client's MP while TV was streaming.
    Ahhh, key information here. It would have been good to mention this in the first post! ;)
    What was the update you're referring to?

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

There doesn't appear to be anything unusual about the update, just a security update also installed on all other machines.

My other MP clients work just fine, so the issue is definitely on this client.

Some more info:
    It woin't play recorded TV either (same issue).
    It will play videos from the server's shares without issue.
    Networking is normal, and works for all other uses (including the test connection in MP config).

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
    Chris

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    SOLVED!

I found this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-video-and-sound-works-on-server.97836/page-8
    and checked my firewall on the client. There was one un-checked mediportal entry. I checked it, and now all is good.

What I don't get is why uninstalling MP (complete clean-up) didn't remove the firewall rules (I assume that is what happened), and why the installer didn't re-instate the rules with correct settings.

I am guessing that a security update installed by MS was responsible for messing up the rules in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom