[confirm] Black screen on resume (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have had a problem with MP not working on resume since I started using MP (about 1.0) and the problem is still there.

A while ago I just accepted the fact it did not work and closed MP when finished and then standby works great (hence the issue is definately in MP)

Over the last couple of days the misses has left MP on the home screen when she has finished and PowerScheduler then puts the machine to sleep. When I try and wake I just get a black screen and I have to press alt+ctrl+del to bring up task manager (ie. the display output is working but MP is running in full screen mode but outputting nothing)

As soon as I end task MP the machine goes straight into standby as if there is a standby request hanging round from before (even though the machine has already gone to sleep)

more details in a previous post
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/1-0-1-svn-builds-313/powerscheduler-minidisplay-59274/

Given that I have no problems when mp is closed prior to the machine going into standby this is an issue inside MP. My hunch is that the problem lies in the MiniDisplay code not having completed before the machine actually makes it into standby. Whilst MP is running after resume it is then preventing standby. As soon as MP is killed it frees the machine to go into standby.

The other potential scenario is that client and TV server PowerScheduler plugins are competing in some race condition? TV server pluging works fine on its own but perhaps there is a scenario whereby they are clashing?

The only other thing I can think of is that when waking to do a recording the screen is off. XP then goes to the default monitor which does not have 1920x1080 as an available res (there is some issue why it has to be 1650x1080 or 1920x1200) so you get a resize of the window and if MP is running in full screen mode this might cause an issue ??? (seem to remember seeing some issues resizing the screen whilst in full screen mode). This would perhaps explain the black screen issue but not the going stright to standby when MP is end tasked.

I would really like to leave MP on as that would improve WAF a lot but this is just not possible.

I know none of the devs have XP and this is probably XP specific but if anything could be done about this I would really appreciate it....

No logs attached as trying to replicate I started MP a couple of times so logs no gone. I can do some testing to get some logs over the weekend (and logs are attached to old post above). Arion_P perhaps you could provide a version of the powerscheduler plugins that might output something more to the logs that might help identify the issue ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    did a little digging and searching and I am not alone...
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-after-resume-s3-49521/index3.html#post349412

and the issue is still there. I notice that both these users with same issue were using XP. (One at least has since moved to Vista which probably solved the problem)

also probably the same issue
    Blank screen when resuming to record - MediaPortal Forum
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...restart-after-resume-following-standby-68943/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/help-narrow-down-s3-resume-bug-55911/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/mp-hangs-when-getting-out-standby-50788/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/black-screen-after-hibernate-26320/

I know there was the issue with the whole S3Hack issue but that was only the wake codes sent on resume. I have checked with a little VB script and both the messages are being sent correctly. (WM_POWERBROADCAST 18 is meant to always be sent on resume and WM_POWERBROADCAST 7 sent when resume is by a user (remote / power button etc) but for some reason MP was for 7 when this will never be sent on wakeup by timer to record?? Anyway my issue occurrs when I resume manually or via timer and when manual resume both 7 and 18 are received

Please, please, please, please, please could someone look at this.................

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please run MP in windowed mode and provide logs from failed S3 cycle.

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Black screen on resume

does this problem still exist in the latest svn? i have the same black screen after wakeup. if i connect with vnc to the mediaportal computer the screen comes back.

nicx...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Black screen on resume

does this problem still exist in the latest svn? i have the same black screen after wakeup. if i connect with vnc to the mediaportal computer the screen comes back.

nicx...

Logs? If VNC wakes up the screen it is most likely motherboard / driver issue.

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

hm i didnt change any drivers or the mainboard, and this problem is new for me since mp 1.1 rc. i will collect my logs ;)

nicx...

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Black screen on resume

Out of the box, but it was the only thing that cured my standby problems. Look at thread 4roma started (PMT not starting). My solution download MCEStandbyTool beta for windows7. Select sleepS3 / away mode never. Disable powerscheduler in tvserver and client.

We finally have a stable solution coming out of standby. We are still working on the final solution (recordings, enz) but this at least is workable.

hope this helps.

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

i just did some more tests: the problem only occurs if the pc wakes up automatically for a recording. if i wake up the pc with my remote its all working as expected.

so in my opinion it has to do with the "away mode" of windows 7. if the pc wakes up for a recoding it seems that it goes directly in the away mode (no display, no sound, no usb) and not in the normal workmode. but why i am wondering: i disabled the away mode in the power settings, so i cannot really explain why this is happening.

maybe a win7 problem?

nicx...

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    But initial poster has XP SP3.

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You are absolutely right, sorry for this.

A lot of problems however do seem to originate in the waking up sequence (varying of course with different OS). I have always had trouble with waking up on XP, Vista and W7. My knowledge on programming is limited, however the power scheduler plugin is my leading suspect. I will leave this thread, since it is originally XP SP3, sorry for the pollution.

Ghanz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom