[confirm] Black screen on resume (1 Viewer)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I just wanted to point out that it is probably not Win7 specific, not drive you away from this thread.;)

On a side note, PowerScheduler does normally handle automatic resumes (for recordings, epg grabbing etc) differently than manual resumes (through power button or remote control). For automatic resumes, it does not initialize display and does not render its UI until the OS itself detects user input and notifies MP by sending a manual resume event. Some motherboard drivers have bugs and do not send the second event when the system has initially been automatically resumed. There is an option in Configuration to essentially treat automatic resumes are manual. But it seems in the case of the initial poster, it does not help. I don't know why.

I had issues with wake up too on XP, but mine where more severe and not directly MP related. The PC would simply hang (OS not responding at all). After moving to Win7 x64 I never had a single issue.

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Arion_p

Thnx for the reply. It is extremely hard to troubleshoot, since there are to many variables in play (XP, Vista, W7, countless SVN's, countless installations, changing from nvidia 8800 to Ati 5750, etc). there are however 2 constant factors : The motherboard gigabyte (P35DS4) and the floppyDTV. I am by nature someone who is not shy of trying out settings, which makes it even harder to keep track of variables. Under W7MCE waking up is no problem. Not using pwrschdlr is also stable, however Í am now in the process of finding out whether recordings at night are possible. If I do use pwrschdlr TVserver gives me the unknown error msg. I have (be it limited) some programming experience and the logs did not give me a clue. It seems that somehow the firewire based driver locks up or is not initialised in the right sequence by wake-up. This could be in line with your statements on the MB drivers (did of course try out every setting available to man).

These are the Q's I'm trying to get answered.

Is it possible to make a test where I reproduce the errors and help you guys in solving this problem? (my wife is gonna kill me :D) Do you wan't me to start a new thread with logs?
    Is it neccessary to enable powerscheduler on both client and server in a single seat setup (I always mirror the settings and enable both like in the wiki) or can I use the pwrschdlr for the server just for recordings and leave the client Untouched(haven't tried that now I think of it) ?
    Can I figure out which settings pwrschdlr changes in the energy management?
    Like the original poster is it possible that the client pwrschdlr and the server part are not functioning together well?

I will keep testing, yesterday I finally solved a MS-DTV-Codec zap issue (HD-SD black screen) by changing colorspace and refreshrate:cool:

thnx for the amazing product! :D

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thnx for the reply. It is extremely hard to troubleshoot, since there are to many variables in play (XP, Vista, W7, countless SVN's, countless installations, changing from nvidia 8800 to Ati 5750, etc). there are however 2 constant factors : The motherboard gigabyte (P35DS4) and the floppyDTV.

I haven't read the whole of this thread, so forgive my intrusion.

I just wanted to point out that black screen on resume isn't limited to Gigabyte boards. I've seen it with an Asus board I use too that uses an ATI 4350. Haven't seen it with any of my NVidia cards to date though.

RC1 for me hasn't been a particularly fun experience. Black screens on resume, remotes that fail to operate on resume, TV recordings that failed (now fixed), and any number of other niggles.

Still, they're problems for other threads, just thought I'd comment on the 'constant factors' :)

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    any news to this?

arion_p: which option in the config do you mean? is there already an issue due to this non functional option?

nicx...

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    It used to be named differently and I haven't used it since going to Win7, but I think it is "Apply workaround to fix MediaPortal freezing on resume on some systems" under General in MP configuration.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Is it possible to make a test where I reproduce the errors and help you guys in solving this problem? (my wife is gonna kill me :D) Do you wan't me to start a new thread with logs?
    I have no clue what is going on, so I cannot direct you to do some useful testing.:(
    But frankly we are quite busy right now trying to get RC2 out (and of course deal with RL as well) that I have to admit I have not spent enough time on this issue.

Is it neccessary to enable powerscheduler on both client and server in a single seat setup (I always mirror the settings and enable both like in the wiki) or can I use the pwrschdlr for the server just for recordings and leave the client Untouched(haven't tried that now I think of it) ?
    You should enable both. If you dont enable the client side, the system may sleep while you are using MP and/or watching some video.
    Can I figure out which settings pwrschdlr changes in the energy management?
    PowerScheduler does not change anything in energy management (if you mean the Windows' settings). It merely notifies Windows that TVService/MediaPortal is active (when it is active) so Windows does not try to put the system to sleep. But normally you should disable all power management in Windows and let PowerScheduler handle it. Having both enabled is almost certain to cause you trouble.

Like the original poster is it possible that the client pwrschdlr and the server part are not functioning together well?
    This is not the case. If it were it would show in the logs.

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    arion_p,

thnx for the replies. It seems my problems are directly related to the 'enable selective usb settings' Since I can sometimes hear a 'windows detected harware sound' on wake up (when using resume in MP only????), I'm now trying to find out which piece of hardware is doing this, since I am convinced that it somehow interferce with MP startup sequence.

What do you mean by disabling windows power management settings. Surely I need to specify that the sleepbutton (via remote) initiates a sleep state? Or are you suggesting to let powerscheduler do this based on idle time? In that case I may have misunderstood my whole MP carreer.:(

I have just powermanagement setting for high performance selected and sleepbutton configured to put the system to sleep. Now with selective usb enabled, which results in a fairly stable wake up.

I appreciate your help in this.:D

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The objective is to not let Windows itself initiate the sleep. To do this you have to select a profile that does not put the system to sleep after some time of inactivity. Also you have to configure the sleepbutton to NOT send the system to sleep. Instead you should rely on PowerScheduler to put the system to sleep after its configured inactivity time. Alternatively, IIRC, it is now possible to map a remote button to the POWER->STANDBY action within MediaPortal which will communicate properly with PowerScheduler and allow the necessary time for TVService and MediaPortal to do its cleanup.

ghanz

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2007
    Ouderkerk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Arion_p,

thnx for this, seems I have configured the system not correctly then. I presume I can just map a remote button in the remote section to go standby and this will ensure automatically that powerscheduler handles the shutdown cycle?

Btw must be a neebie thing but what is IIRC? (If I remember Correctly?) By now do you mean RCI or RCII?

I will test immediately!

This has become totally off-topic, however no person seems to be bothered

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Arion_p,

thnx for this, seems I have configured the system not correctly then. I presume I can just map a remote button in the remote section to go standby and this will ensure automatically that powerscheduler handles the shutdown cycle?

Btw must be a neebie thing but what is IIRC? (If I remember Correctly?) By now do you mean RCI or RCII?

I will test immediately!

This has become totally off-topic, however no person seems to be bothered

IIRC = if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom