Black screen w/ sound for x264 file. Plays back perfectly in WMP and GraphStudio. (1 Viewer)

metagrobolis

Portal Member
March 7, 2008
I am getting a strange issue with one of my x264 encoded .mp4's. I use PDVD8 as the H264 filter both for MP and WMP, so the filter graphs for this particular file should be exactly the same for both applications. However, WMP plays the file back perfectly, while MP shows only a black screen while playing back only the sound. In addition to WMP, I've verified the filter graph and the file by playing it back directly using GraphStudio ... something is clearly going wrong during MP's construction of the filter graph.

I have had no such trouble with any other x264 encoded content. There is something specific that this particular file is exposing.

Logs attached. Help appreciated.

TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Aeon Wide 1.2
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate 32, SP1
CPU Type: AMD Phenom X4 9150e, 1.8GHz
HDD: Wester Digital 500GB
Memory: 2GB, DDR2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: Integrated AMD HD3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 3.9
Sound Card: Integrated Intel HD Audio
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: Realtek HD Audio 6.0.1
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type: N/A
1. TV Card Driver: N/A
2. TV Card: N/A
2. TV Card Type: N/A
2. TV Card Driver: N/A
3. TV Card: N/A
3. TV Card Type: N/A
3. TV Card Driver: N/A
4. TV Card: N/A
4. TV Card Type: N/A
4. TV Card Driver: N/A
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: PDVD8
Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
HTPC Case: Antec Micro Fusion Remote 350
Cooling: N/A
Power Supply: Antec PSU, 350W
Remote: Harmony 880, MCE emulation
TV: N/A
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    20.9 KB

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Video playback looks normal from the MediaPortal log file.

2008-11-11 18:28:30.706634 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayer:play Z:\broken.mp4
2008-11-11 18:28:30.810645 [Info.][MPMain]: VMR9: added EVR Renderer to graph
2008-11-11 18:28:30.931657 [Debug][MPMain]: VMR9: Now active
2008-11-11 18:28:30.931657 [Debug][MPMain]: VMR9: Renderer successfully added
2008-11-11 18:28:30.932657 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: Enabling DX9 exclusive mode
2008-11-11 18:28:31.965760 [Info.][MPMain]: added filter:CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD8) to graph
2008-11-11 18:28:31.985762 [Info.][MPMain]: added filter:ffdshow Audio Decoder to graph

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've changed the rendering engine from VR to EVR. File plays ok in MP and when using GraphStudio.

Can you play your video using ffdshow h.264/AVC ?

Attachments

• graphstudio.JPG
    graphstudio.JPG
    33.8 KB

metagrobolis

Portal Member
March 7, 2008
BTW, I'm using EVR as the renderer setting in MP config (the graph image I've posted is directly from importing the file to Graphstudio)

Can you play your video using ffdshow h.264/AVC ?

Yes, the file plays perfectly with ffdshow h.264/AVC ... the blank screen show ups only when using PDVD8 as the h.264 decoder under MP (remember, PDVD8 under WMP/Graphstudio works flawlessly). I'm at a loss for an explanation ... except that there is something specific to PDVD8 under MP in this case.

The logs are fine, the directshow filter graph works flawlessly outside MP ... where else would one look for a clue?

On a slightly different note, I can't get Graphstudio to remotely attach to the MP-created filter graph. (see my post here). Has anyone been able to get this to work?

feriso

Portal Pro
March 20, 2008
What version of catalyst are you using, as there are reported problems on 8.6-8.10 iirc, 8.5 works fine with PDVD - I use 8.4 and PDVD8 works fine in MP using WVR

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
I suggest you run filmerit and cleanup any codecs that are not working. Test the filter before deleting it, and try not to remove any of the DMO as well.

Disable ffdshow h.264/AVC, disable raw video support, disable interlace flag in media type. And disable/enable DXVA in CyberLink PDVD8.

metagrobolis

Portal Member
March 7, 2008
Joe - I'll try these and report back.

Meanwhile, any tips on how to see MP's graph using Graphstudio (or something else, for that matter)?

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I am getting a strange issue with one of my x264 encoded .mp4's. I use PDVD8 as the H264 filter both for MP and WMP, so the filter graphs for this particular file should be exactly the same for both applications. However, WMP plays the file back perfectly, while MP shows only a black screen while playing back only the sound. In addition to WMP, I've verified the filter graph and the file by playing it back directly using GraphStudio ... something is clearly going wrong during MP's construction of the filter graph.

I have had no such trouble with any other x264 encoded content. There is something specific that this particular file is exposing.

Logs attached. Help appreciated.

TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Aeon Wide 1.2
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate 32, SP1
CPU Type: AMD Phenom X4 9150e, 1.8GHz
HDD: Wester Digital 500GB
Memory: 2GB, DDR2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: Integrated AMD HD3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 3.9
Sound Card: Integrated Intel HD Audio
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: Realtek HD Audio 6.0.1
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type: N/A
1. TV Card Driver: N/A
2. TV Card: N/A
2. TV Card Type: N/A
2. TV Card Driver: N/A
3. TV Card: N/A
3. TV Card Type: N/A
3. TV Card Driver: N/A
4. TV Card: N/A
4. TV Card Type: N/A
4. TV Card Driver: N/A
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: PDVD8
Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
HTPC Case: Antec Micro Fusion Remote 350
Cooling: N/A
Power Supply: Antec PSU, 350W
Remote: Harmony 880, MCE emulation
TV: N/A
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I think PowerDVD doesn't use VMR9 as default (VMR9 is not used acording to graph), you need to modify registry (at last MPEG2 decoding was using overlay, until i change it). Meaby this is why it is not working for you.

BTW - did you try SAF?

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Unless you turn on DXVA , it will use VR as the default renderer.

metagrobolis

Portal Member
March 7, 2008
A thing to keep in mind as we work on this:

First, the problem is showing up for one particular file, I have a lot of other h.264 content that plays back perfectly, with full dxva acceleration under MP. So, the codecs and filters are well configured and behaving as expected in almost all cases. Its something particular to this file that is causing MP to fail, while WMP and Graphstudio show no problems.

Second, the screenshot of the graph I've posted is not from MP, its from loading the offending file directly into GrapStudio. I'm desperate to find a way to display the filter graph MP actually creates for this file ... hoping to spot something interesting there. Anybody have any ideas? Has anybody figured out how to attach to and display MP's filter graph under Vista?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom