Black screen when starting TV (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Think that could be a tsreader issue, have seen that happen a couple of times with various builds, you might want to try a different version, see Owlsroost thread here

I'm using V31 which seems to be working nicely, but then I use unc, path not rtsp, thats just the way 4TheRecord is setup by default.

Hopefully he can nail this blackscreen problem for everyone.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hi,

I have this same problem, however, I have no clients etc, just the single HTPC.

In the mornings when I first try to open a Tv channel I sometimes get the blank screen with no audio, and sometimes with no video but audio is ok. I can still access the TV Guide or press Info etc. What I also notice is that if I successfully get audio & video then from that point onwards MP is fine...........i.e. it only happens if I leave MP at the main menu (no tv stream) for extended periods, i.e. overnight, or, if I go off and play MP3's and then try to go back to TV. Once it's up & running with that first channel then I can change channels continious and it's always fine.
    I also notice that if I don't get off the blank screen quick enough (say 15 secs) then it crashes MP completely. Task Manager reports MEDIAPORTAL FULL SCREEN - NOT RESPONDING. I have to End Task to get back to desktop. I notice at that point I can't manually stop the TvService (batch file), it just sits there waiting for it to stop. At this point I have to re-boot Win7.

Other notes:-

1. This NEVER happened with 1.2RC. This is only since I upgraded to 1.2.1 (fresh install).
    2. I'm using an SSD for the OS, and a normal HDD for TS & recording etc. The HDD is set never to sleep.
    3. Win7 is configured never to sleep or hibernate.
    4. This happens with different skins.
    5. DVB-S2 card is set to PAUSE, but I have tried STOP also, no apparent difference.
    6. Intel i7, 4gb ram, fast ATI card etc etc etc.

For me the problem isn't so bad as I know what to do, but for the wife it's a show stopper as she's not PC literate.

Ian.

From the symptoms, I'd guess that TV server is crashing, but you *must* post a full set of logs for anyone to be able to help further....

Tony

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    I have the same problem - singleseat.
    -no IPV6 (XP SP3)
    -only the windows "firewall" (disabled it right now) edit: and it did not help

basically same behavior, sometimes, when starting TV or switching channel, only audio appears, switching off/on one or more times may help - restarting MP helps every time.
    Would post my config - but I don't see any option to add it here.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Would post my config - but I don't see any option to add it here.

Go to https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/usercp.php, select 'Edit System Specification' fill it out and hit the save button (and I think you may also have to tick a box to make it visible) - you should then have a 'My System' pop-up appear on the left of all your posts.

As for the black screen problem - please attach some logs......

Tony

thirdoff

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2011
    Some issue here, black screen only audio. only sometimes. Restarted usually fixes it. This only happens on my OTA and not on the colossus.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I had this problem once. Fixed it by reinstalling and reconfiguring LAV Filters and then re-selecting LAV Filters for decoding in the MP Configuration window.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

Please don't take this post the wrong way. As much as I'm thankful that you are reporting problems so we can improve, *we need logs and system details to be able to do anything about this*. The problems are too technical to be able to solve from a description alone. Tony has said as much in his previous two posts so it would be good if you could do as he has asked. Generally speaking I would prefer that you get into the habit of posting logs on this forum whenever you have a problem - it makes our "jobs" as devs immeasurably easier/nicer if we don't have to always ask for information that is expected/required by support forum rules.

Please...
    1. Fill out the system specifications in your forum profile.
    2. Follow the instructions -->here<-- to provide us with full logs. If the problems are not consistently reproducible then you can follow the instructions for non-reproducible problems. Please be sure to specify when (time and channel) the problem occurred, what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Thanks for your understanding.
    mm
    :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Black screen when starting TV

I can confirm the problem, but sorry I have currently no logs available, the next time it happens I will catch some logs and post these :)
    I thought it would be a Hardware problem, but was to lazy to have a look on it, but now I found this thread^^

Although I have sadly no logs here some facts:
    - I start playing a channel => screen stays black, but I have sound
    - go back to EPG works (the little LiveTvPicture is also there black)

I have to stop liveTv tune another channel (tuning the same channel again brings up an black screen again) and than it works, but sometimes the little liveTv Picture in EPG is still black

I know all this doesn't help anything without logs, I will try to get some, but as mentioned before I thought my Tv is dieing or some other issue oO

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Black screen when starting TV

And here are the logs :)
    The issue occurred while tuning ZDF HD @~20:15

Tuned ZDF HD => Black Screen but audio
    Tuned another channel => Video & audio
    Tuned back to ZDF HD => Video & Audio

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Does it only happen with H.264 channels, or with MPEG2 as well ?

It looks like the video decoder just stops requesting data after a short time - do you have the evr.log ?

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom