Black screen while trying to watch live TV on MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

shane041

Portal Member
September 4, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey there,

Hoping someone can help me out. I've been using MediaPortal for a few months now and everything has been great until today. Now everything has gone dark and I can't figure out why. I've followed steps I found in other threads about a similar issue: letting everything through the firewall, turning off the firewall, reinstalling. different codecs, deleting firewall settings and reentering everything. Still black screen no matter what. Nothing has changed since this was working last night and from the TV Server Config it looks like it's getting the request from MediaPortal to change a tuner and even tunes to the right channel, but just still no sound no audio. Can anyone help? (Before the Eagles game would be amazing!)

Shane

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

I'm a long long way from expert here, but suggest STOP TVserver, delete C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\timeshiftbuffer\live7-0.ts [actually, delete all the timeshift buffer files - they are ephemeral anyway], then restart TVServer - IF that makes difference, cool, if not, sorry - hope someone else can pitch in before the game.

TTFN - JCMP.

shane041

Portal Member
    September 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi

I'm a long long way from expert here, but suggest STOP TVserver, delete C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\timeshiftbuffer\live7-0.ts [actually, delete all the timeshift buffer files - they are ephemeral anyway], then restart TVServer - IF that makes difference, cool, if not, sorry - hope someone else can pitch in before the game.

TTFN - JCMP.

Hmm. Any reason why that folder would be completely empty?
    Edit: left MP running. Saw the files. Deleted and still no go.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Stopping TVServer could be reason - it's normally 'empty' is nothing is being viewed., so clean out would be 'correct action'.

Sorry not helped - log files do indicate problem in deleting the file, hence the suggestion - more than that I'm sorry I can't see anything in log files - but as said, I'm far from expert.

Can I suggest however you still close down MediaPortal & stop TVServer [from taskmanager] , set log level to debug on BOTH and restart both, then post fresh logs.

Cheers - JCMP.

shane041

Portal Member
    September 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Stopping TVServer could be reason - it's normally 'empty' is nothing is being viewed., so clean out would be 'correct action'.

Sorry not helped - log files do indicate problem in deleting the file, hence the suggestion - more than that I'm sorry I can't see anything in log files - but as said, I'm far from expert.

Can I suggest however you still close down MediaPortal & stop TVServer [from taskmanager] , set log level to debug on BOTH and restart both, then post fresh logs.

Cheers - JCMP.

No need to apologize, I'm glad to get any help I can get. Thank you. I'll give your second suggestion a shot and post the logs. As an aside, I tried running the MP tv service add on in Kodi and when tuning to the channel, I'm stuck at Buffering 0%... Does that mean anything to anyone?

Edit: Also just noticed my Signal Level when testing channels under Manual Control is 0... I'm guessing that's not good?

Attaching debug/restarted logs

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello shane041

I think you've got CableCARD or subscription/entitlement issues.

The TsReader log file is full of "PES MPEG2 0-0-1 fail" messages, which means that the stream that is being received is still encrypted. Further evidence is that when you tried to view "CBS-3" and "FOX-D" (after scanning) I see the following message in the TV Server log file:
    [2015-10-25 18:10:27,035] [Log ] [12 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: device 7 descrambling status update, old status = Unknown, new status = Not possible (no entitlement)
    [2015-10-25 18:12:44,967] [Log ] [3 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: device 7 descrambling status update, old status = Unknown, new status = Not possible (no entitlement)

If I were you I'd try power cycling your tuner. If that doesn't help, feel free to post fresh log files and I'll check that the problem is the same as before. If/when you find yourself in that position, I'm sorry to say that you'll need to contact Ceton and/or Comcast. We can't do anything to resolve problems with a CableCARD that won't do what it's supposed to... :(

Regards,
    mm

shane041

Portal Member
    September 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello shane041

I think you've got CableCARD or subscription/entitlement issues.

The TsReader log file is full of "PES MPEG2 0-0-1 fail" messages, which means that the stream that is being received is still encrypted. Further evidence is that when you tried to view "CBS-3" and "FOX-D" (after scanning) I see the following message in the TV Server log file:
    [2015-10-25 18:10:27,035] [Log ] [12 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: device 7 descrambling status update, old status = Unknown, new status = Not possible (no entitlement)
    [2015-10-25 18:12:44,967] [Log ] [3 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: device 7 descrambling status update, old status = Unknown, new status = Not possible (no entitlement)

If I were you I'd try power cycling your tuner. If that doesn't help, feel free to post fresh log files and I'll check that the problem is the same as before. If/when you find yourself in that position, I'm sorry to say that you'll need to contact Ceton and/or Comcast. We can't do anything to resolve problems with a CableCARD that won't do what it's supposed to... :(

Regards,
    mm

Ugh. That should have been my first go to. For some reason Comcast shut me down again. Re-paired the card and everything is working right. Spent so long thinking it was on my end. Comcast is the absolute worst. Oh well game starts in 9 mins GO EAGLES and thank you both. I'll start with Comcast next time before starting a new thread.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

shane041

Portal Member
    September 4, 2015
    Home Country
    For some reason Comcast shut me down again.
    Again?!? :mad:
    So to be clear: this has happened before?

Oh well game starts in 9 mins
    Ha - good timing then. :D

I'll start with Comcast next time before starting a new thread.
    I'd like to think MP and TV Server are perfect, but I know they're not. So, don't hesitate to ask us for help anytime. We're happy to look at log files. :)

Ask anyone who has Comcast. The list of issues is endless. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom