Blu-ray Freezes, no matter what (1 Viewer)

j.man1503

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've attempted to find a thread that discusses this issues (as I am sure I'm not the only one having it) so please direct me toward it if there already is a thread discussing this.

I installed MP 1.3 RC and was so excited about native Blu-ray support. I have DVDFab Passkey (Full Blu-ray version) running so I thought I had all the requirements. When I put the disc in and follow the instructions (as given on the wiki page of Blu-ray support (found here) it simply loads and loads and then eventually freezes. I have checked their "compatibility page" and none of the discs that I use are on it and I have even found that one of discs, people say it works (Batman Begins). So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

1. Are there any special settings in DVDFab that I need to turn on/off in order for this setting to work? I have "everything on" as default because I found no documentation that states otherwise.
    2. Native Blu-ray support (with menus in 1.3RC) does mean that I can simply pop in a Blu-ray disc into Blu-ray drive and begin watching movies, right? (I realize that not all discs are so simple, especially those with BD-J).
    3. My computer is more than powerful enough to run Blu-rays so that is not the problem.
    4. Are there any special settings in the LAV filters that I am supposed to set? The only thing I changed from default was the hardware acceleration to use my graphics card CUDA cores.

Thanks for the help and/or direction.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi j.man1503,

To give you any hints on how to fix the problem, we would need full debug logs (see my signature on how to collect those).

Re 1: I think default settings should be good.
    Re 2: Yes, you are correct, except for the limitations mentioned in the Wiki (BD-J, etc.)
    Re 4: Nope, no special LAV settings needed for nvidia card

What you could try is to rip (without protection) the disc you have to your HDD with DVDFab Passkey and try to play the disc from your HDD.

Last edited:

j.man1503

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Thank you kindly for response.

I realize that I can rip it to my harddrive, I have done this many times with much success (my whole library is on my computer thanks to MediaPortal!). However, sometimes I rent Blu-ray discs or a friend brings them over and I do not want to have to wait the 30 minutes (or so) to have the disc rip and then play it. So I was hoping that there would be a way (as 1.3RC states) to play from the disk.

I will provide a log when I can get to my desktop. Thank you again for helping me with this!

j.man1503

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Here is the log file that you requested, thank you for your help. Granted, it did reproduce the exact same problem. The de-bug did not utilize my skin (I use the Titan 1080p, it used something else). The Blu-ray menu system still did not work but it did not freeze this time (as it did in my original description). Instead, it simply timed out and returned to the home menu. When I selected the actual movie and thereby bypassed the menu, the movie actually played. Not sure why this worked in De-bug mode but I couldn't get either to work in my normal operating mode with Titan 1080p.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Your log looks empty, maybe you could try to reinstall MP with NSIS separate installer from :
    %temp%\MediaPortal Installation\deploy

Maybe a core component didn't install correctly :)

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Unfortunately the logs are empty, meaning there isn't any info visible that looks like an attempt to play your disc. When you start MediaPortal in Debug Mode, it starts without any plugin loaded, and it uses our 'default' skin, which is currently still DefaultWide. Titan is only recentely (1.3 Beta release) added, so that explains the change in skin.
    What i don't see in your .zip is a BDReader.log which should be generated as soon as you start a Blu-ray movie. After that you should get a popup where you can select Menu or Title Mode.

When I selected the actual movie and thereby bypassed the menu, the movie actually played.
    You mean by directly selecting the rigth stream (.m2ts) file?

It almost sounds as if the install isn't correct, but then again, you don't have an error.log

Last edited:

j.man1503

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    I mean, when I choose, "2:00:17" from the selection menu that arises from my choosing "Play a Disc" it plays just fine. Yes, I'm assuming that since this is bypassing the menu, that it is selecting the (.m2ts) file directly (similar to how BDHandler would work I suppose in earlier versions, pre-1.3.0). Yes, I did get the option to select "Menu." When I select the "Menu" option, it acts like it will load the BD menu then just returns to the Home menu (remember, this is all within De-bug mode, not the normal mode). Does this help at all?
    Also, I uploaded a new log, perhaps debugged incorrectly last time.[DOUBLEPOST=1362941098][/DOUBLEPOST]Just attempted to play the disc again in regular mode (not the Debug-Mode), Defaultwide and I received the same freezing. Could it be that my plugins are conflicting with one another? Do I maybe need to uninstall everything (including my plugins) and then install them one by one to see the conflict? This is just a suggestion as I really do not know what I am doing with MP!

Thanks for the help.[DOUBLEPOST=1362941189][/DOUBLEPOST]I would even be happy if I could just watch a movie from the disc without menus. Let me know what you think I should do.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TNX for the log update, now things are a bit clearer already, since you have the BDReader log ;)
    Code:
    10-03-2013 14:28:54.963 [6b8b0]Disk Info:
    10-03-2013 14:28:55.001 [6b8b0]num_bdj_titles:		 5
    10-03-2013 14:28:55.004 [6b8b0]num_hdmv_titles:		4
    10-03-2013 14:28:55.007 [6b8b0]num_unsupported_titles: 5
    10-03-2013 14:28:55.009 [6b8b0]top_menu_supported:	 1
    As you can see in the above lines, the disc you're trying to play has 5 BD-J titles, so we can assume it's a BD-J disc, which doesn't work in MENU mode. You have to use the 2nd option to select the Title (just like it was with BDHandler).
    But it shouldn't 'hang'. After a first attempt to start the disc, it should directly go back to the popup, were you can select the Title instead of MENU.

numb_bdj_titles should be 0 for most discs to work.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

You can disable all plugins and enable it one by one :)
    You have an nvidia card so setup LAV Video in cuvid mode and select all format :p

10-03-2013 14:29:32.907 [6badc]Read failed...failure on libbluray side <<-- this line can be an issue with dvdfab, maybe you can try anydvdhd just to be sure.

j.man1503

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    HomeY: even though my titles may be BD-J, it should still play the title, correct? But it does not in regular running mode (as opposed to Debug). Thank you for indicating that they are BD-J titles. Is there anyway that I can enable it to play just the title of these movies? It should do that according to the release.
    Sebastiii: I can try that for testing purposes but I would prefer to get it working with DVDFab since I've bought a lifetime subscription for Passkey. Most of the decoders are enabled with LAV filter other than a few obscure ones, I'll enable them too though if you think it will help.

Thanks again you guys,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom