Blue Screens of Death <Insert Dramatic Music Here> (1 Viewer)

scootabug

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Hi Guys,

I'm new to MP, but loving it so far. Problem is when attempting to watch TV broadcast (I'm using a Compro DVB-T300)...I can see it for about 1 minute and then I get a blue screen of death which is quite indiscriptive and annoying. Doesn't matter whether it's in "preview window" (as I like to refer to it) or fullscreen, but fullscreen kills it quicker. And I have tried having timeshift on and off without a difference either.

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head, let me know if you need any further details:
- MP 0.2.0
- Intel P4 1.6GHz
- 512MB SD-RAM
- 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
- Compro DVB-T300 w/latest drivers
- Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and all available hotfixes/updates
- 64MB nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 AGP, w/latest nVidia drivers
- MS DirectX 9.0 SDK
- All drivers are up to date...this box has nothing but the necessities
- No other Compro drivers/software have been installed. This is a fresh install of XP.

Can't think of anything more than that. I'll keep posting as I try a few things and see where I end up.

Oh, I just did a memory test using Gold Mem Test and it was all hunky dory...thinking it may have been faulty memory.

Anywho, any help you can offer would be hugely appreciated.

scootabug

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Updates

Just tried:
- Installing Windows Media Player 10
- Installing latest CVS

Didn't help me at all. I did notice that my DVB-T300 disappeared in the system, so I've just re-installed that.

Should I be trying any different video codecs/filters?

It's also worth mentioning at this point that this card has been used extensively, in this system (with less memory at the time) using the Compro software with great success. Perhaps I should try removing the new memory in case it has an issue?

Thanks guys!

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi scootabug,

Do you only get the BSOD's when watching live TV?

You don't say if you are using Overlay or VMR9 renderless - but then I don't think that your video card supports VMR9 renderless?

What is the error message that is displayed on the BSOD? Try "googling" this error message and you should get lots of suggestions as to the likely cause.

scootabug

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    Hey taipan.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the assistance.

Well it was using the default method, which I think is Overlay. I'm just trying VMR9 and such at the moment without success.

Since installing the CVS, things have slipped backwards. I can't get anything through the tuner now. The "TV On" button can't be enabled. Grr! I tried to roll back by replacing the MediaPortal folder with my backup - no love at all. Pretty odd IMHO.

I'm about to try a DVD video just out of interest to see what happens.

The BSODs have been 0x00000C5 and 0x00000C2. Didn't bother to write them down because it's happening religiously (or was prior to CVS). And I haven't bothered yet to search Google or MS Support since in my eXPerience, they can point to just about anything hardware or software depending on the circumstances.

Thanks again, I'll keep at it!

scootabug

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    Memory is being eaten alive!

I was just trying different overlays and different codecs for DVD video, without success. I did notice however that the memory consumption jumped considerably (7MB physical memory left) and the page file jumped well over a GB. Kinda scary.

I'll give those patches a run for their money and see what happens. Cheers.

scootabug

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    I tried patches on Topic 8146, no difference. Unfortunately I've gotta call it a day, I'll get back into it sometime this week and post again no doubt.

Thanks for your help so far guys. Many thanks, Scott.

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    hi scoot

what version of the compro drivers you using? im seeing a few blue screens although nothing like you are seeing! im wondering whether it may be compro driver related.

Thanks

Steve

scootabug

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    Steve, Compro driver version is the latest off their site, 1.3.1.24 (2005/7).

I'm going to try another AGP card tomorrow, because I originally pulled this card out of a server of mine because it locked up when trying to bring the monitor out of standby mode. I might have shot myself in the foot trying to use a card which may have been faulty all along.

Thanks for the help Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom