Bluray issues (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Every few months I come up against a new issue trying to play Blurays on Mediaportal.

I receive a couple per month from Love Film and it is always a gamble as to whether they are going to play - sometimes it can take hours of messing around with clever fixes to try and get it to work.

My latest film "Killing them Softly" just doesn't seem to work at all. Passkey Lite does not work and I cannot seem to find anywhere that has Free BSD for download.

The Mrs is starting to get a p*ssed off with never being able to just watch the new films we receive.

I was wondering what everyone else is doing at the moment.

I could just go back to DVDs or buy a standalone Bluray player.

I want to avoid both options - standard definition would be a major leap backwards and if I buy a player, I start moving away from the whole point of my going down the HTPC route in the first place.

What is it that makes Bluray films just so difficult and unpredictable to play?

Thanks

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I'm just starting with MediaPortal and come across the same issue. It goes even this far that even when the BD's play, the behavior is almost never the same.
Now and then the menu's work as they should and the next time I try they don't. One time the subtitles load themselves and the next I need to activate them.
And this is with the same disc, on the same day, without rebooting the pc. Just closing MediaPortal and starting it up again and it behaves completely different. Mainly with blurays.
But now also "video's" menu won't open. (but that's some other issue I won't go into here)

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I also use Passkey Lite. All BD's play, but functionality is always different. Some BD's play with menus and everything. For some there is no functionality at all. I have to select the chapter and start setting up the right language and subtitles using the F9 key.
Could that be an Passkey Lite issue (or a limitation of this software)? I was hoping I could try Passkey lite before buying Passkey for Blurays. Just to try how it works. Is this a good indication, or not at all. Will the licensed software work much better?

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The DVD fab website makes it clear that passkey lite has some limitations for blu ray encryption. Just buy the full version of passkey and you will never have a problem. That is what I use and it always works without fail.

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    So you have menus available on all (or at least the major part) of your BD collection?
    Does it also work for 3D BD's?

RikHouben

Portal Member
    July 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I know MP doesn't support BD-J. I'm not complaining about this. I'm aware I should expect full functionality there. But I haven't come across any BD's stating they use Java for menu's. Or I'm looking in the wrong place, or it's not advertised on the disc or case anywhere.
    That's why I was wondering if the licensed (paid) version of Passkey for Blu-ray has all the functionality I should expect from reading the wiki, in contrast to the free-ware version which Passkey Lite is.
    If the paid version isn't any better I should look for other software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom