Bluray issues (1 Viewer)

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Aha! That's a very useful list.
I'll try to see if I can add info there once in a while. :)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So what exactly is the issue with playing Blurays?

Is it the issue of finding a program that will decrypt the disk as it is actually being played (i.e. on the fly) or is it a problem even if you want to rip the disk to your hard drive unencrypted?

As far as I am concerned, I would have no problem at all ripping a Bluray disk to my hard drive first (even if it takes a few hours) as long as I have no problem playing it back through Mediaportal after - I remember reading that MakeMkv offers this.

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I think all this encrypting works completely backwards. They encourage people to download. When you buy legal discs you can't play them in a decent way on an htpc, while most rips work just fine. You get punished for buying legal discs.

I don't want to spend hours ripping discs. I want to play the movie, enjoy the extra in the best possible quality, in a user-friendly way.
I'm not blaming MP developers or plug-in programmers or anyone in the htpc community for not getting it done, yet. I blame the film-industry for making life hard for people actually buying stuff legal instead of just downloading everything. What are they thinking?!?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am renting Bluray disks legally and am only having to consider ripping them to my hard disk as I am struggling to get them to play directly from the disc.

I would also delete the film from hard drive as soon as I have watched it (not only for legal reasons but as I don't have a spare 32GB for each disc) - I completely agree with you that the encryption of Blurays is essentially forcing me to do something that is technically forbidden. As you say above, it is completely backwards - surely, if the industry wants to maximise profits, they would make it easy for any Bluray to play on any PC but make it much more difficult to rip the disc.

I note that the full-fat version of Passkey is over $100. I know that this lasts a lifetime but that is still is a bit steep when you can buy a dedicated bluray player for rather less.

I suppose that I am in a bit of a different position to you - I only watch a few Blurays per month so it would not be too much bother to rip each film just to be able to watch it. If, however, I was watching them frequently, this would get very irritating.

Ultimately, I would be really grateful for any advice on how to rip Blurays, unencrypted, to my harddrive with freesoftware.

I have just had a look at the Makemkv website and although I always thought this was freeware, it appears that you only get a 30-day trial.

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I've bought an htpc just to get rid off all the separates. Now it seems that this was quite an expensive, half baked solution. Not because the HW isn't capable, but because the people who want you to pay for their product prevent me from using it in a practical way. That's silly!

anyway, now that I have the htpc I'm going to try to get it working as good as possible. I'll learn from it and the end-result might well be satisfying (in the end, with maybe some more developments from add-on developers or the MP team ;) )

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
you also can try to use BlurayHandler plugin, that makes possible to use any commercial software BR player to be called from MP. So if you have any OEM version of PowerDVD or ArcSoft TMT that came together with BD drive or with a laptop - you can try to use it.

Last edited:

RikHouben

Portal Member
July 14, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Unfortunately no software player came with the drive.
I'm thinking about getting PowerDVD or TMT or some alternative. But it's almost more expensive then a dedicated BD player (which I already have and would like to get rid off).

I had BD handler installed but without it I get even more functionality then when it was installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom