BSOD when exiting MP (1 Viewer)

eggz2004

Portal Pro
October 13, 2006
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi Eloo....
Does Vista really fix this issue? Wow...
Tell me is it worth to upgrading to Vista for MP use? Whats your opinion, because other members are against this :)

Greetings

eloo

Portal Pro
January 20, 2005
Aarhus, Denmark
Yup, fixes the bluescreen. As far as I can tell, MS has rewritten a lot when it comes to standby and hibernate. Seems more stable and quick.

When it come to Vista headaches, I have the following:
1) Doesnt reenter standby after resume

2) ... hmmm, I think there is one more

unicr0n

Portal Member
January 18, 2007
I have been struggling with this error since I bought my HTPC. And I think I finally have found the error.

The dumps have always pointed to a file called stream.sys. But I thought that It was more of a driver issue. After checking the file I found out that my version of stream.sys was much newer than the version on my laptop.

HTPC version: 4.11.2005
Laptop and friends HTPC: 3.8.2004

After changing stream.sys to the older version. I haven't had a dump in 4 days.

eloo

Portal Pro
January 20, 2005
Aarhus, Denmark
Big dilemma... should I go back to XPSP2 or stay with Vista? Do you min keeping us posted whether or not you have a crash? I hate going back and then crash, then I will start crying.

Regards,
Ole

unicr0n

Portal Member
January 18, 2007
NP ;)

I really hope this is the solution. I was about to order new hardware.
And I'm quite annoyed that I didn't check the version of this file before. So much lost time :rolleyes:

eloo

Portal Pro
January 20, 2005
Aarhus, Denmark
Know the feeling, I probaly spend 100+ hours on the issue, trying to pinpoint it. Please keep us posted, dont hesitate to do a bit of stresstesting.

unicr0n

Portal Member
January 18, 2007
Just an update:

I'm currently running the HTPC with 30 minutes suspend/resume loops. (Thanks to BBC news :D )

It has been running like this for 24 hours now. Had a reboot yesterday to update SVN.

No BSOD yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom