CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I asked a developer friend of mine to take a look at mm's patch (from first post) and update it for 1.3 Final and I wanted to share it with everyone. I am using FiOS and it is working great! I get all the regular and HD cable channels aside from the ones that require a subscription (HBO, Show, ENcore, Stars, etc).

Also, keep an eye out here on this thread, as my dev friend is also looking into making changes so that this patch will use the UPNP features, so this will allow for 64bit users to use the patch. This might take 2-3 months as he is busy.
Great! Can you ask him to zip up the files he changed and post them here?

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    The zip for 1.3Final is in my post where I made the announcement @CodeMonkey. As for the UPNP changes, that will come later.

Tsaukpaetra

Portal Member
    February 18, 2013
    Home Country
    Just thought this might help what you are trying to fix and what I am trying to make run....
    Recommend adding time to the timeout settings, since your post seems to indicate an inconsistency with detected channels. These settings are located in General (Underneath DVB EPG), and the scan tab.
    This thread however, is more focused on getting the basic functionality of the CableCard devices to work. ;) Seems that there are those who have succeeded (myself not included), at least to some degree.
    For my thoughts on the scanning xml descriptions, see here.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country

hello_joe

Portal Member
    April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    However, there's still something odd going on with my setup. It seems to call the procedure to start tuning, but can't seem to properly recognize that it has done so (or grab the channel list it seems).
    To me it looks like you haven't followed the instructions in the first post regarding increasing the scan timeout.

I'm using a Ceton if it makes any difference.
    Me too. Mine works. I don't think that is the problem.

All I seem to get is the standard "Physical Channel: 2 Frequency: -1 modulation: ModNotSet: Nothing found." and then immediately scanning stops.
    That is what I see too. As above, I don't think you've increased the scan timeout. The instructions in the first post are very clear; just got to make sure you follow them all carefully.

I've attached a log that may provide some insight as to what I'm seeing. Seems as though the graphs are built and everything is almost ready, but despite seeing a line that reads "Tuner Locked: true", it cannot see the signal. Indicated also is a failure to read a smartcard, which I'm not aware of needing or having...
    Your log files look exactly like mine except the scan is much shorter. Can you post the other log files as well? Especially the error.log?[DOUBLEPOST=1364929871][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Just recently someone asked about the xml freq file and I have some intrest in it. The issues i am reading here appear to be simular to what I am having.
    I don't think it is similar at all. You're using a normal ATSC/clear QAM hybrid tuner. The advice here from @mm1352000 (come back soon!) might help:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ome-here-for-support.5231/page-51#post-937051
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppuge-wintv-hvr-1250.104421/page-2#post-880236

Take note of the last point in the first link. You're very lucky to get any names at all. In other words, channels that you think you're missing are probably not missing - just named "Unknown" or something. The ones named "0 ..." - that is not MP doing that either. MP doesn't mess with the names it finds.
    Also, MP does not support ATSC channel numbers. You'd have to renumber the channels yourself. Use the channel number field which is visible in the first screenshot that you posted.
    Try increasing the scan timeout (SDT) as suggested by @Tsaukpaetra.

Is there a US XML file or a way I can create one for my WOW Cable connection?
    The standard files are usually fine. Just have to make sure you use the right option. Check the second link for more useful advice about this.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    BTW, I am using a Ceton PCIe card with my setup. Just about to add my 2nd for 8 tuners and will most likely buy one more in a month for a total of 12 tuners. It is working VERY well.

What had to be done to get it to scan was to set the scan interval to 7 minutes and it got all the channels. You wont notice anything happen for the 7 minutes and then once done, all channels were imported.

As for EPG Mapping in the US I use MC2XML with the XMLTV plugin. Where it gets tricky is that a lot of my channels did not want to auto pair, but a lot did. It seems that if you know basic SQL you can do some renaming that will make it go much easier. Here is why, due to receiving ALL channels you will get AMC East and AMC West. Have the SQL strip out any reference to East, (East), (EAST) or EAST, plus the space right before, then have it rename all references of West, (West), (WEST) and WEST to Pacific and then 95% will match. Locals and and few special fixes will still be needed (E! TV needs to be E! or E, things like that).

Also for any FiOS customers I have a nice logo pack I can share. A lot will already match up with imported channel names (after SQL, and special renaming).

Last edited:

hello_joe

Portal Member
    April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    I increased SDT/VCT to 60 seconds (It was at 10 seconds before), and things are looking up!
    Excellent :)
    I had to increase to roughly 5 minutes to be sure of getting all the channels with names.
    The scan found a bunch of channels that aren't available in my area (my cable provider - Verizon - has one set of channels for east, and another set for west). They're easy to identify because their channel numbers are 10000.
    Your mileage may vary...

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Ya Joe, sounds like we have the same carrier and card, but our locals are gunna be different =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom