CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is just a quick note to say that I'm Lyfesaver's "friend".

See.... See.... all you dang nay sayers.... I actually DO have a friend.

Actually... now that a I think about it... what the hell is up with the "quotes" around friend, @mm1352000? You jack ass! :ROFLMAO: o_O

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another progress update from today for those who are itching to try this! :)

Tuning is working, so I can timeshift and record. :D

The next thing on my list was scanning. I've done some experiments to work out how we can implement support for that.
    It seems that the SI (service information... which is the channel names, numbers, EPG data etc.) is exclusively carried out of band (OOB), which means that we have to get it from the CableCARD. This in turn means that we will be receiving the SI data in the TV library (C# code) from the MP2 UPnP lib.
    I had already written C++ code to interpret that data in TsWriter for the first patch (PBDA method), and I was hoping we were going to be able to reuse it for the UPnP/DRI support. From what I learned today that won't be possible... or at least I figure it is probably better to rewrite in C#. So a small setback.

Rewriting the code and wrapping it into something that we can use for scanning will probably take roughly a week of my time in the evenings. Fortunately Thursday is a public holiday here (ANZAC day) so I am hoping I will be able to complete the scanning support by the end of this week. After that I think we'll be pretty much up to par with the previous PBDA support and ready to release a public beta.

So my list of things to do:
    • implement SI table parsing - NIT, NTT, SVCT, LVCT, MGT
    • create a channel scanner that wraps the table parsers
    • test scanning
    mm

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Another progress update from today for those who are itching to try this! :)

Tuning is working, so I can timeshift and record. :D
    mm

Glad to hear you are making such good progress!

Are you using PlayReady? Or are you assuming that any channels that will be viewable are marked as "Copy Freely?

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    CodeMonkey....

As I understand it the Cable CO you use includes the DRM status of a channel. But I could be wrong.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    CodeMonkey....

As I understand it the Cable CO you use includes the DRM status of a channel. But I could be wrong.
    That is true. And without PlayReady you can only view channels marked by the cable company as "Copy Freely". Unfortunately mine, Time Warner, has almost none marked this way. Other providers like Comcast and Fios apparently are better about it. But with PlayReady you can also view the ones marked as anything other than "Copy Never".

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    I did not know that about PlayReady. I don't subscribe to any of the "good" channels. And yes, as I am on FiOS I do get all the ones I want without the need of a 3rd party.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you using PlayReady? Or are you assuming that any channels that will be viewable are marked as "Copy Freely?

We have no PlayReady or WMDRM-ND support, for the reasons listed earlier in the thread. Briefly:
    • licensing expensive
    • certifiable implementation in an open source product very difficult, if not impossible
    • idealogical opposition to DRM support in open source
    Sorry, but I can't imagine us adding DRM support for the foreseeable future. I certainly don't intend to implement it.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country

We have no PlayReady or WMDRM-ND support, for the reasons listed earlier in the thread. Briefly:
    • licensing expensive
    • certifiable implementation in an open source product very difficult, if not impossible
    • idealogical opposition to DRM support in open source
    Sorry, but I can't imagine us adding DRM support for the foreseeable future. I certainly don't intend to implement it.
    I agree with you completely on all points. I would really like to use this, but what Time Warner tells me is there are no plans to make more channels Copy Freely so unfortunately it makes no sense for me to buy a card for a handful of channels.

I am glad you are working on getting it implemented for the lucky ones that can use it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom