CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

lehighbri

Portal Member
May 10, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello lehighbri

First, ***big*** thank you for testing, and sorry that it didn't work out right first time.
Your instincts were correct - something was definitely wrong.
That problem should be remedied now with the new version of the patch (v1.1) attached to the first post.
If the scan behaves that way again (which it shouldn't!), you should be able to hit "cancel" to stop after 15 minutes. At least one of the first 200 channels scanned should be valid.
The 3..1000 scan range is a total guess on my part so it could absolutely be useful to enter a scan range - I'll add it to my "to-do" list.

mm

Now the opposite happens with v1.1... it scans at warp speed and I get the same ModNotSet: No signal. See attached for the logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To put it politely... bother!
    These errors seem to be a similar kind of error to the issue that I was experiencing on bc0508's server.
    I'm at work now so I can't do anything about this for at least another 8 hours.
    This will almost certainly require that remote access to your PC so I can try and figure out what is going on...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again everyone

First, ***big*** thanks to lehighbri for trusting me with remote access to your PC. (y)

There is now an updated patch (v1.2) available from the first post. This one seems to allow scanning with the Ceton InfiniTV 4, and continues to work with the HDHomeRun Prime.

From my brief observations, the scanning behaviour of these two tuners is quite different. The Prime finds one channel/subchannel per virtual channel scanned; the Ceton seems to find multiple subchannels (and may be creating duplicates). I haven't yet got my head around that fully. I'll need to get the OOB PSIP data interpretation working to help clarify this...

Has anybody tried a Hauppauge DCR-2650 yet?

mm

lehighbri

Portal Member
    May 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello again everyone

First, ***big*** thanks to lehighbri for trusting me with remote access to your PC. (y)

There is now an updated patch (v1.2) available from the first post. This one seems to allow scanning with the Ceton InfiniTV 4, and continues to work with the HDHomeRun Prime.

From my brief observations, the scanning behaviour of these two tuners is quite different. The Prime finds one channel/subchannel per virtual channel scanned; the Ceton seems to find multiple subchannels (and may be creating duplicates). I haven't yet got my head around that fully. I'll need to get the OOB PSIP data interpretation working to help clarify this...

Has anybody tried a Hauppauge DCR-2650 yet?

mm
    mm - great work. See attached for the log files from when the scan on my PC completed today. Like you said, there are multiple subchannels and when I go to TV Mapping -> TV Channels after the scan completed, under the list of available channels for my Ceton, I see a number of channels and it's confusing for me to figure out which channel I should add (e.g. channel 503... I see several... which one do I choose?).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @lehighbri: thanks for the log files. :)

Like you said, there are multiple subchannels and when I go to TV Mapping -> TV Channels after the scan completed, under the list of available channels for my Ceton, I see a number of channels and it's confusing for me to figure out which channel I should add (e.g. channel 503... I see several... which one do I choose?).
    The channel numbers are totally bogus, and that will prevent you from doing anything particularly useful with the tuners at this stage.

I need to do some more work (particularly on the Ceton) to get proper channel information - names and numbers for a start, then EPG.

The slight complication with the Ceton is that it seems to filter streams differently to the Prime. Today I talked to Silicondust about what they do and found some useful discussion -->here<--, so I'm already putting the pieces together in my head. My feeling is that now its just a matter of time before we have something that is usable.

It may take several days of development to get channel names and numbers working. At that stage CC tuners should be basically usable in MP and we'll be well and truly in the testing phase. My goal is to get to that point by the end of this weekend. However, I very often over-estimate how much I can get done, so don't be too disappointed if it is another week before we get to that point.

EPG will be another kettle of fish entirely. I have no concept of how tricky this might be yet. Lets just wait and see.
    Dealing with the 64 bit compatibility issue is higher on my agenda than EPG as it will enable many more people to test.

I'll provide another progress update in 12 hours or so...

mcheng89

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Could you pull the channel names from this page?
    http://<ceton ip>/view_channel_map.cgi?page=0

Didnt get a chance to read this thread yet, so I might be off on what you're looking for :confused:

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome mcheng89 :)

We're going for direct device control with a hardware independent approach, so ideally we'd not want to rely on a Ceton-specific function. I would of course use it if there were no other option. That assumes that I can figure out the IP address of the tuner. I'm not sure if that is directly possible via PBDA...

mm

lehighbri

Portal Member
    May 10, 2012
    Home Country
    I noticed mythtv came out with an updated version 0.26 today... and it spawned some thought. I recall that in when mythv 0.25 came out, they built in out of the box support for Ceton Infinitv4 and HDHomeRun Prime, similar to what we're trying to do. And given they are open source, all of their code can be accessed. I personally don't use mythtv as I feel it's way too hard to setup on windows (which is why I'm so interested in MP :)).

See here for the related changesets with the code to support the tuners:

Ceton: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/4d6a4c4278485b8a2ad15e6511f18da02b3c348f/mythtv
    HDHomeRun Prime: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/d7a00c50d646c0c84b5645342363f8105adbcefe/mythtv

Not trying to muddy the waters, but will any of this help jumpstart this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Update as promised. :)
    I've grabbed some stream dump files from bc0508's Prime and lehighbri's InfiniTV 4.
    In addition, I've investigated how I might get channel information. I was able to receive the virtual channel table data from the Prime, which means I'll be able to grab virtual channel numbers and names. I didn't manage to get the VCT data from the Ceton. Not sure why at this stage. I'm convinced it should be possible. I'll work on the Prime for the moment...

@lehighbri: it looks like MythTV uses libhdhomerun for the Prime, and some other hardware specific code for the InfiniTV. We could use libhdhomerun as well, but it isn't hardware-independent. Only supports the HDHR and Hauppauge devices. I'm not sure where the Ceton code comes from or if it would be usable for us.
    To be honest I would rather take an option that is hardware independent so that we don't have to implement support for each device individually. If we do it right, we can support current and future hardware.
    At present I'm quite happy with how things are going. Be assured: I am making steady progress. There are no insurmountable roadblocks that I'm aware of at this time. Progress may seem a little slow but we'll get there. :)

mcheng89

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    It looks like MythTV's Ceton code is basically using http apis that Ceton provides to indirectly call the dri specs. If you look at the web interface(http://<ceton ip>/), it basically using that information to control the ceton device.

Question: nvm found my answer :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom