CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right, okay.
    So it is essentially a way to avoid using UPnP if you don't have a stack available or prefer to work with web oriented interfaces. Interesting...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another progress update...
    I've been able to grab channel names and numbers from the Prime. :D
    I need to do some code consolidation to allow that information to be grabbed when we scan.
    The good news is that a full scan should not take more than 15 seconds or so - no need to scan channels 3..1000 as I'm currently doing.
    Progress continues nicely. :)

lehighbri

Portal Member
    May 10, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Another progress update...
    I've been able to grab channel names and numbers from the Prime. :D
    I need to do some code consolidation to allow that information to be grabbed when we scan.
    The good news is that a full scan should not take more than 15 seconds or so - no need to scan channels 3..1000 as I'm currently doing.
    Progress continues nicely. :)
    Great!

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Right, okay.
    So it is essentially a way to avoid using UPnP if you don't have a stack available or prefer to work with web oriented interfaces. Interesting...
    mm, for the UPnP support you might check our MP2 library that we use internally. This could be a smart move at this point in our developments...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm, for the UPnP support you might check our MP2 library that we use internally.
    I already have. ;)

From the research I did over the weekend, MP 2 has a great UPnP library that would be suitable for what we need. There is also an RTP library in the reworked DVB-IP filter that I think I would be able to use. The problem is pulling all that code together into something cohesive... for MP 1... and that I have no experience with UPnP or RTP - it is a huge learning curve.
    (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...t-for-mediaportal-1.112585/page-3#post-918726)

This could be a smart move at this point in our developments...
    It is *significantly* more work to take the UPnP option, even with UPnP and RTP code already available. Implementing the DRI is not trivial. In the long run it *may* be the right solution but right now my focus is on providing a reasonable hardware-independent solution for MP1 with the least possible effort.

allen00se

October 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Hey all,
    I am interested in helping out if you still need it. I have a Ceton Infinitv 4 USB tuner, and have been struggling constantly with mythTV. I would love to see this project succeed. If you still need testers let me know and ill get a machine built right away.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome allen00se :)

Absolutely, jump on in if you have some time on your hands.
    From my perspective, the more people testing, the better. :)
    Also, I think lehighbri's InfiniTV is the PCIe version, so you would be the first person that I know of to test with the USB version.

Disclaimer: I don't want to set you up only to disappoint you, so please do keep in mind that the tuners won't be really usable at the moment. Hopefully that will change in the near future but for now the support is definitely not "production-ready".

mm

PS: for those of you who are wondering, I didn't make my goal to have channel name/number grabbing working by the end of the weekend. However progress was still pretty good - I just over-estimated how much I could get done. I'll provide another update as soon as I have something testable.

allen00se

October 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello and welcome allen00se :)

Absolutely, jump on in if you have some time on your hands.
    From my perspective, the more people testing, the better. :)
    Also, I think lehighbri's InfiniTV is the PCIe version, so you would be the first person that I know of to test with the USB version.

Disclaimer: I don't want to set you up only to disappoint you, so please do keep in mind that the tuners won't be really usable at the moment. Hopefully that will change in the near future but for now the support is definitely not "production-ready".

mm

PS: for those of you who are wondering, I didn't make my goal to have channel name/number grabbing working by the end of the weekend. However progress was still pretty good - I just over-estimated how much I could get done. I'll provide another update as soon as I have something testable.

No worries about immediate functionality, currently mythtv gives me about 5-10 minutes of livetv before I have to retune the channel and it takes 20s to retune, so its not like ill be missing out on alot. So at this point what do you really need me to do? Are the instructions on the first post still valid? I just finished building my 32bit Win7 client, and could have MP installed by then end of the day if thats what you need.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yeah, just follow the instructions on the first post :)
    Taking the latest version of the patch: currently v1_2

And at the end posting full logs (tv.log, error.log etc.) :)

allen00se

October 8, 2012
    Home Country
    quick question... I am new to media portal, do I really need WMP 11 installed, or will WMP 12 work? The link the installer gives me takes me to WMP 11 for XP install, then when I click the windows validation tool it tells me I need a newer validation tool. Kind of a pain.

scratch that... apparently I was reading it wrong as the FAQ says i need the latest version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom